PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
I think the slight gaps here and there between hull plates makes the subject look more 'real'. The Rebel craft are supposed to look 'used', not 'showroom'.
Great looking build.🤯

Thank you very much

Glad it was no Imperial vessel! But it's true. The weathered battle beaten look helps to hide my faults.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Great construction, I think I already dare to try something like that. And from the comments of the guys I deduce that my constructions have fought hard battles !! Your X-wing is taking very good shape.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:13 PM

Thank you very much :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 AM

Next big challenge: the droid plate. So many little details.

I didn't take pics in between but this is my finished result. It really looks great but the amount of really small parts (some 1x2mm small!) is daunting ... at least for me

To insert them I first glued the missing part on top ...

... onto the front tab here.

Then I inserted the droid plate and glued the rest.

Looking back I would do it different now. I would finish to assemble all the "non-droid-plate" parts and then insert the plate as last step (making sure before it will fit nicely).

Next was the back plate.

And then I added the cockpit. I used a plastic sheet I had from a shirt (from under the collar) and cut it for the glass sections.

Then I put it all together and added the last additional plate parts around the hull.

I think that is the hull finished. Next will be the wings. But for them I read that I have to get some 2mm round wood or metal. So I have to go hunting for those!

To be continued ...

Chris
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Great work, the small pieces are complicated, tend to escape from the tweezers but remarkably enhance a model. Question: what adhesive do you use to stick the plastic to the paper? Try many different ones and none seems to work well.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalssergio155 View Post
Great work, the small pieces are complicated, tend to escape from the tweezers but remarkably enhance a model. Question: what adhesive do you use to stick the plastic to the paper? Try many different ones and none seems to work well.
Very good question. Was that the thicker plastic usually found under the collar?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Very good question. Was that the thicker plastic usually found under the collar?
Yes just that and it was quite thick. I'd say about 0,5mm. Was a bit hard to cut but not too much.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalssergio155 View Post
Oh dear, I cannot remember

I use UHU (black) for most anything since I was a kid. My father used it and I copied him! So I think I used that for the clear plastic.

I also use white glue (brand Ponal) but only when I can press dry larger areas so there is no warping or for small stuff applying it whith the tip of a toothpick. I glued all the small details on the droid plate with white glue. I definitely used white glue for the edges of the paper parts of the canopy.

Often times I mix. I used UHU for larger areas of the hull and add white glue on the edges.

Have to look out the next time!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Nice work Papierschnitzel.

To avoid gaps between plating you have to dry fit a lot and file down the ribs until it sits ok. I use fingernail file (or fine sandpaper) for that. I glued plating directly one by one to the skeleton.

Do not use metal rods for wing canons unles you plan to reinforce the wing. Othervise probably the wings will not be able to hold the weight and will sag (I have that problem on my X-wing).

Try this stick. Canons is designed for them (or simillar): https://www.amazon.de/dp/B005HFN7IK

Extensions for X-wing
Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 AM

Weight is a great point. Didn't think about that. I have the problem that the large U-Wing is built is sagging at the long wings just form the cardboard weight!

And I think I have barbecue sticks somewhere in the house. Also a great tip. Why didn't I think of it myself! :-) Hope they will fit.

Cheers
Chris
Google Adsense

Tags
star wars; x-wing