PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I don't know how long the cannon are, but Q-Tip swab sticks are fairly light
Old 02-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
I am contemplating trying this model in 1:18 scale to match the Kenner Action Figures I got to go with the Millenium Falcon Cockpit I built at the same scale.
Of course I'd put Luke in the cockpit and possibly cut a hole for R2-D2 rather than build a paper version.
Usually I'd just print at 267% for the correct scale, but given the current layout, even using my 11" X 17" printer, to many parts cross the page edges on poster setting.
But right now I'm still wondering if I really want a 2 Ft long, 20" wide X-Wing?
Who am I kidding, I'm really wondering if my wife would put up with it (-=
Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papierschnitzel View Post
On we go with the lower hull parts. I am not sure how the original intention was to glue them on but I made these connector tabs so I can get the hull into one piece. I cannot imagine another controllable way to get a clean seam between the parts.

Similarly as Peter said, you first glue the hull parts to one of the sides and then lightly to the formers. This image should explain it https://photobucket.com/gallery/user...My5qcGc=/?ref=
Does it need a lot of precision? Definitely

Adding tabs to the backside thickens the part by a small amount, so it likely won't be able to wrap around completely anymore - the former needs to be downscaled in that case. Or you have to use a very thin paper for the tabs.

As for cannons, I used carbon fiber rods - they are lightweight and have smooth surface. I got them in RC model store, I think.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
I am contemplating trying this model in 1:18 scale to match the Kenner Action Figures I got to go with the Millenium Falcon Cockpit I built at the same scale.
Of course I'd put Luke in the cockpit and possibly cut a hole for R2-D2 rather than build a paper version.
Usually I'd just print at 267% for the correct scale, but given the current layout, even using my 11" X 17" printer, to many parts cross the page edges on poster setting.
But right now I'm still wondering if I really want a 2 Ft long, 20" wide X-Wing?
Who am I kidding, I'm really wondering if my wife would put up with it (-=

At this scale I would consider using wood. Even if you find a printer to upscale the parts and get a go from your wife, parts turn into sheets at this scale a will start to wobble and warp.

But I get it, I often dream of stuff like this
Old 02-19-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcold View Post
Similarly as Peter said, you first glue the hull parts to one of the sides and then lightly to the formers. This image should explain it https://photobucket.com/gallery/user...My5qcGc=/?ref=
Does it need a lot of precision? Definitely

Adding tabs to the backside thickens the part by a small amount, so it likely won't be able to wrap around completely anymore - the former needs to be downscaled in that case. Or you have to use a very thin paper for the tabs.

As for cannons, I used carbon fiber rods - they are lightweight and have smooth surface. I got them in RC model store, I think.

The challenge for me is that the formers are quite thin, so there is not a lot of room to glue the hull on properly let alone connect the next hull piece. I know this kind of technique with formers that are more like 2mm wide.

I will use sanding next time to trim the formers a little. It was just a little gap in the end and I am quite happy so far. Thank you for the feedback.

I checked my barbecue sticks and they are 3mm, so a little too thick. Carbon fiber sounds good. Will check out where I can get them here.

Cheers, Chris
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You're right, some of the formers could be thicker. I'll keep it in mind if I ever make another revision (no promises though). Thanks for feedback!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.87 MB
Nice...maybe you could do this for the edges of the pieces. Instead of using markers you could use watercolor pencils. I use a set that came with 48 pencils and that gives me a large variety of hues and colors to match the pieces.
The model looks great.....nice job.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluchi View Post
Nice...maybe you could do this for the edges of the pieces. Instead of using markers you could use watercolor pencils. I use a set that came with 48 pencils and that gives me a large variety of hues and colors to match the pieces.
The model looks great.....nice job.

That's a great idea. I have never thought about pencils but with the color variety they provide it should make matching color much easier. Thanks for the tip.

Chris
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcold View Post
You're right, some of the formers could be thicker. I'll keep it in mind if I ever make another revision (no promises though). Thanks for feedback!

I am very happy with the current state. Practice makes perfect. My next build should be better (also no promises )

Cheers,
Chris
Old 02-23-2019, 05:31 AM

Didn't have so much time this week but I made some progress on one wing.

I didn't take step by step photos on the first one as I was busy figuring out where everything goes. Will try to do that on the next 3 wings

Here is my end result so far.

I haven't put the final details into the front round engine "opening". I reached that stage sometime in the morning during the full moon and then was too tired to continue

I am impressed how sturdy the wing turned out in the end. In the beginning I thought it would be a flimsy weak thing. I did double the inner former parts just to make sure but the design and how everything comes together makes it one solid assembly piece.

I checked my BBQ sticks and sadly they are 3mm not 2mm as required, so I will need to check if I can get the right ones here or wait for additional stuff to order from Amazon. Don't want to pay €3 shipping for the €0.99 sticks

I did use my 3mm ones for the axis in the engines though!

Looking forward to making the laser shooting end piece of the wing ... and then repeat the whole process three more times!

To be continued ...
Chris
Google Adsense

Tags
star wars; x-wing