PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.26 MB
light assault snowmobile

my current project is to make this fictional vehicle, the P75 Mulot Light Assault Snowmobile.

I designed it for an alternate timeline in which Canada faced a Civil War in the 1930s. The vehicle itself is based on the Bombardier B12 snowmobile.

If I manage to make it look nice enough, I plan on using the chasis as a basis for variant vehicles (troop transport, mobile artillery, etc...)
Attached Thumbnails
light assault snowmobile-b75mulot.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The Soviet Union had an assault snowmobile during WWII.
https://jalopnik.com/sikorskys-motor...viet-s-5657142
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
The Soviet Union had an assault snowmobile during WWII.
https://jalopnik.com/sikorskys-motor...viet-s-5657142
funnily enough when I posted the image of the Mulot on the Very British Civil War forum, this is also the first thing that popped to mind for another poster. I've always been a bit surprised that despite winter playing such a big part of life in quebec and canada, you never saw an home grown ski-based combat vehicle being developed like in other nordic countries with snowmobiles being relegated to transport purpose even when used by the armed forces.

Another vehicle I might eventually design is a smaller type that could serve a similar purpose than motorcyle did in real life (dispatch/reconnaissance). I was thinking of basing it on this 1941 Eliason Motor Toboggan, Model D:

probably will add a side cart somehow or elevated the backseat to allow for a machine gunner.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:31 PM

nothing earth shattering but I think I'm more likely to finish the project if I try to keep posting update.

The theoretical goal (in the sense that there is no actual contrainst) of this and its related models is to design them so that they would be faily quick and easy to build by anyone downloading them. The target audience are tabletop wargammers and are meant as a free alternative to plastic / wooden / metal models so that someone could quickly build up their forces and scenery.

For this particular model, I want to limit the number of pieces so apart from the turret and smaller parts that stick out (doors, windows, access hatch), the main part could in theory be a single folded piece but since you end up with a large empty space in the middle, I want to prevent the main part becoming too "squishable".

The 2 idea I can think of (sketch below to illustrate) would be:

1- have the main part made of 3 pieces: the main body, the undercarriage glued underneath and a set of track glued to each side of the undercarriage.

2- have the main body composed of 3 pieces glued together, the middle one extending partly further down to form the undercarriage and the 2 sets of track then glue to the part that extends.

the first one is simplest but still results in a large amount of empty space (unless you include some inner scaffolding) while the second version would be hard to align perfectly (unless the seams are to be covered by another piece of paper the width of all 3 pieces combined.)
Attached Thumbnails
light assault snowmobile-mulot-sketch.jpg  
Old 03-14-2019, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I think I would go for the first approach and put some inner scaffolding inside if required. As you say, it might be hard to align with the second approach. Also the texturing will be easier with #1. Or maybe #2 will be inner scaffolding for #1 :-)
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2019, 07:16 AM

I finished drawing the sideview and decided that printing that then figuring out the rest might actually be easier. I've done the main body today so all that's left is making the turret, measuring everything then drawing the remaining pieces and texturing the lot.

About the flat figure next to the snowmobile, I printed it in a few different sized to see if vehicles / buildings looked right in a variety of scales. this one is for 28mm figurines.
Attached Thumbnails
light assault snowmobile-img_2986.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_2987.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_2988.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_2989.jpg  
Old 03-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
That is pretty neat. I really like the simple way you made the tracks.

Mike
Old 03-24-2019, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Can I also say, great tracks. Simple, but effective use of corrugated card. It's also good painted up and weathered, as sheets of corrugated iron for buildings.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 AM

got around to making the turret.
Attached Thumbnails
light assault snowmobile-img_3830.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_3833.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_3834.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_3835.jpg   light assault snowmobile-img_3836.jpg  

Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 388.12 MB
I Like the look very nice!

here is another fun one

The 007 Parahawk
https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Parahawk

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwa...ns/13364256195
Google Adsense