PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-30-2019, 01:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
So I was building the engines, and I got to EPS14.1-.5, and I noticed that there are three 14.1s and five 14.3s. Just a heads up to anyone building this that you'll need to print more than one copy of one of the EPS pages in order to make the proper number of 14.1s, or else use one of them as a template for cutting another one out in place of the extra 14.3.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.81 MB
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
So I was building the engines, and I got to EPS14.1-.5, and I noticed that there are three 14.1s and five 14.3s. Just a heads up to anyone building this that you'll need to print more than one copy of one of the EPS pages in order to make the proper number of 14.1s, or else use one of them as a template for cutting another one out in place of the extra 14.3.
i'm at EP9 or is it EP10?! :-p thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:07 AM

The engines are a massive headache so far...EP12.2L and R are both supposed to be square shapes, but there are five panels that fold around the square flap? I'll be folding it into a square, but this is definitely something that needs WAY more clarification in the instructions. Hopefully I'm not screwing this up; I don't want to print any more for this one.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
This project hasn't been forgotten guys, yeah I am working hard on the Morrigan but I am letting this one sit until I've got feed back from you guys on issues or problems. The plan is to then collate all this together along with the stuff Ive learned on the Morrigan and release a final version with fixes and suggestions from you guys who have built the model.

However if anyone is having real issue that may be stopping them from completing the model I will try my best to address them with the best help I can give, in that respect

Quote:
The engines are a massive headache so far...EP12.2L and R are both supposed to be square shapes, but there are five panels that fold around the square flap? I'll be folding it into a square, but this is definitely something that needs WAY more clarification in the instructions. Hopefully I'm not screwing this up; I don't want to print any more for this one.

Yeah the shape is a slightly angled rectangle almost a triangle, with the top being narrower than the bottom. Their is no top panel on the part though as once in place it is hidden by the rest of the engine parts and I believed that adding the tiny piece to add a top panel would have made the part a little to fiddly to build.

However I hope this diagram maybe throws some clarity on the build for the part.

It has five parts, with the back panel having the join point in the middle of it, highlighted by the red line on the diagram. Yeah I know it's weird but for some reason that's how the software exported it.

The part has no top panel either highlighted in blue, the reason being that in the smaller scales it became really hard to fold the part correctly and since that panel is hidden once it is applied to the back of the model I opted to remove the panel totally.

It's an old blender model I've pulled that diagram from the final released part has a single flat panel on the bottom instead of the panel with a slight fold as shown in the diagram, again I modified this post export as it proved too fiddly to build in the smaller scales.

If you guys are more skilled at building I can easily stick the original unmodified form of the part up?

Anyway I am keeping an eye on this post so please keep the feedback coming and any issues that are stopping or slowing progress, msg me or stick a post here and I help as best I can.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback on this, and it looks like I figured out the correct way to assemble it. If you want, after I'm done I can send you a detailed "after action" report. I've been taking copious notes about what probably needs to change, and I think they will be helpful in giving the final product the polish it needs to be easy to assemble and good looking. Some changes may require a visit to Photoshop to implement.
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
This project hasn't been forgotten guys, yeah I am working hard on the Morrigan but I am letting this one sit until I've got feed back from you guys on issues or problems. The plan is to then collate all this together along with the stuff Ive learned on the Morrigan and release a final version with fixes and suggestions from you guys who have built the model.

So finally I have some free time and would love to build it. would you suggest I jump right in or wait until you've made all the changes to make the build perfect?

I also have a general question. what software are you using to unfold? pepakura? or the blender paper model export addon?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
So finally I have some free time and would love to build it. would you suggest I jump right in or wait until you've made all the changes to make the build perfect?

I wish I could give a complete answer here mate. So many factors will play out on a final answer but here's what I can tell you now.

If you build the model as is just now, you will have to do a little tweaking and a little fettling but you will get a complete model that, in my opinion will look good once complete.

Is it perfect no? Certainly not this was after all my first attempt at a scratch build based on a model that has very little screen time and very few pics. I designed it to be fairly easy to build but The Morrigan build has shown me that making it easy does not always result in the best looking build or parts and their are some areas of The Donnager I believe making the build a little more complex would certainly result in better finished parts.

The Engine Nacelle design is a good example as I went through a number of designs to get those and opted for a multi part simple part design option. I believe I could rework these to give a better yet more complex final design but that's not something I plan to do in the near future.

What I do plan to do is more a tidy up of any tricky parts, any issues or clarity in build of parts and some clarity in the instructions where needed, I am hoping stuff that will make it a bit easier or a bit clearer to build but certainly nothing that is going to change the fundamental design or look of the final model.

Quote:
I also have a general question. what software are you using to unfold? pepakura? or the blender paper model export addon?
I use the Blender export plugin, it does some weird things with some of the exports at time but for the most part seems to do the job quite nicely.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the feedback on this, and it looks like I figured out the correct way to assemble it. If you want, after I'm done I can send you a detailed "after action" report. I've been taking copious notes about what probably needs to change, and I think they will be helpful in giving the final product the polish it needs to be easy to assemble and good looking. Some changes may require a visit to Photoshop to implement

Any and all feedback is appreciated. I look forward to reading your notes and seeing what i can do.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:04 PM

Getting there!!

Not yet to familiar with posting pics here! so here is my Twitter thread of my Donnager build. https://twitter.com/Arne2019/status/1174393401283960835

@Cheesy EP10 and 11 are a bit too big I think.Too wide.

Almost finished with the engines as you can see :-)
Old 10-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Expert

Quote:
Thanks so much for the feedback on this, and it looks like I figured out the correct way to assemble it. If you want, after I'm done I can send you a detailed "after action" report. I've been taking copious notes about what probably needs to change, and I think they will be helpful in giving the final product the polish it needs to be easy to assemble and good looking. Some changes may require a visit to Photoshop to implement.
You think we can call this an expert level build?
Old 10-14-2019, 05:37 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne2019 View Post
Getting there!!

Not yet to familiar with posting pics here! so here is my Twitter thread of my Donnager build. https://twitter.com/Arne2019/status/1174393401283960835

@Cheesy EP10 and 11 are a bit too big I think.Too wide.

Almost finished with the engines as you can see :-)
We have a thorough walk through on how to add pictures to a post
How To: post pictures to a thread
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense