PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Moving right along, I've started on the insides of the "inspection pits" in the mandibles as these make up part of the internal structure.

Looking at a lot, if not all, of the models of the falcon, these pits are depicted as round holes with round internal walls. However, looking at footage from the movie and various blueprints, including some pictures found in the Haynes Manual, these "pits" are actually just holes in the hull, presumably there to allow access to the internal workings for maintenance.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708145701.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708145602.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708145544.jpg

Instead of going with the walled pits, I've decided to expand the exposed parts by building much larger pits and adding extra details surrounding the area under the holes, so when viewing from any angle, there may or may not be extra detail visible, instead of just a round pit wall. I've tried to emulate as much of the original greebles and parts used on the ESB filming prop but I've also thrown a lot of my own ideas in for the background stuff.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708144302.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708144306.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708144318.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708144327.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708144336.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190708144345.jpg

I've used as much card as possible, with some brass rod and my new favourite detailing material that arrived today, a bass guitar string. I'm not set up for painting yet but that can wait.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-08-2019, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
High quality scratchbuilding here, very impressive! I love the mix of materials you are using. Are those guitar strings?

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Nice.

I like how you consolidated both mandible maintenance recesses into one unit and omitted the unsightly cylinder walls... clever as hell. I assume the same treatment for the ventral ones, yes?

What about the recess bays on the hull?

Very nice, Jaffro.

Geddy would appreciate your new detailing item. -J
Old 07-09-2019, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
You could use a rescaled version of UHU02's MF cockpit model to flesh out your version.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rb View Post
High quality scratchbuilding here, very impressive! I love the mix of materials you are using. Are those guitar strings?
Thanks and yes, they are. I discovered this idea in Mark Warren's build log of the DeAgostini Falcon, very clever indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post
Nice.

I like how you consolidated both mandible maintenance recesses into one unit and omitted the unsightly cylinder walls... clever as hell. I assume the same treatment for the ventral ones, yes?

What about the recess bays on the hull?

Very nice, Jaffro.

Geddy would appreciate your new detailing item. -J
Yep, same thing for the ventral pits and the ones underneath, it adds depth and gives those who like to look close enough some interesting things to discover. I'm getting more creative with it as I go and have already decided to go back to the upper pits and add even more detail after checking out some more reference shots. I really enjoy this kind of scratch building and the possibilities are endless although I'm trying to stay as true as I can to the original prop this model is based on.

Funny that you should mention Geddy... I'm almost ashamed to admit that I only recently discovered Rush and can't believe I've come this far in life (I'm 48) without realising how awesome they are! From now on I think my use of the bass strings will be referred to as "Geddy Hose".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
You could use a rescaled version of UHU02's MF cockpit model to flesh out your version.
I have actually considered this but I think it would be too much detail to shrink down. I'll see how I go with the files I mentioned earlier that I found somewhere on this forum but can't remember which build thread they were posted in.

Google Adsense
Old 07-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.67 MB
Goodness. This is going to be truly epic.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 AM

Welcome Papa, enjoy the ride.

While waiting for glue to dry on the lower mandible pits, I decided to do a little bit of work on the inner mandible sides, specifically on the tractor beam generators. A little bit of work became a lot of work and I finished them without going back to the mandible pits.

What's that you say? You didn't know the Falcon had it's own tractor beam? Neither did I until I started researching the ship for this model.

The Millennium Falcon itself is referred to as a freighter, but after looking at a lot of internal shots, if you're like me, you can't help but wonder where the freight goes, can you? I know I did... Until I stumbled across this picture, which explains a lot, and also shows why the Falcon has a tractor beam.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-dokfcmhvwauipma.jpg

So there you go, another fun fact.

The tractor beam is depicted differently between the different models/movies. I found a great shot of this area amongst the pics in the link Skyman posted earlier, it matches the details drawn on the Makino kit so I used this pic as reference and laminated multiple copies of the part onto various thicknesses of card for some layering. I noticed a discrepancy with the drawn on parts compared to the film prop and moved some parts to correct it, but maybe should've done a bit more research as it appears my reference pic may have been taken upside down. However, I'm really happy with how these turned out. Last pic shows my parts next to my Millennium Falcon shaped scale cube for a size and detail comparison.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190710155959.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190710160042.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190710160052.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190710163701.jpg

Now, back to those mandible pits...

Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Stunning work! Very accurate and detailed.

Nitpicky aside: the Falcon being a freight "pusher", using its mandibles to grab onto the containers, isn't that just retconned and now invalid given what we know happened to the hull in Solo?

I'm not trolling, just that one has to be careful when speaking about SW lore

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 07-11-2019, 03:21 AM

To be honest, I haven't seen Solo yet so can't really comment on that.

Moving along... I've pretty much finished the lower mandible pits, I haven't test fit these yet to see how much of the extra details surrounding the pits are actually visible so I may end up adding some more.

Details like this are why I think I'll display the model on a mirror base of some sort.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190711175526.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190711175541.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190711175552.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190711175608.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190711175621.jpg

Next up I'm going to continue scratch building the details on the inside of the mandibles. I'm building these as standalone parts that can be added to the model later which will make it easier to prime and paint them with a base coat than it would be if they were attached.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Jaffro,
You mentioned that you had some cockpit files that you got somewhere here on PM.
Curious, do those files contain the pilot, nav comm and gunner chairs? -J
Google Adsense