PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
No chairs, there's a few different files I've found, I pretty much have a full cockpit and also the walls for the two quad laser turrets. Haven't printed them out yet, I'm assuming they're going to need resizing, I intend to start work on the cockpit and turret interiors when all my fiber optic parts have arrived.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
J,

Got your PM. Email sent.

Side note: Here’s a great ref site with film and set pics. A fun read, too.
https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/

One thing I’ve noticed while researching MF model builds (any medium) is the “Tardis” turret tunnel.
From the many screen grabs and set pics out there, the tunnel length looks to be 20’+, which is impossible, given the MF’s actual height.

Also, have you ever taken a look at Crow/Raven’s build on Kartonbau?
https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/mille...ts/t4474-f165/

If I understand correctly, he scratched this by hand (no computer/printer?) with just paper, ruler, pencil & calculator. 7K+ pieces. Impressive indeed! It’s interesting to watch the new, fresh white pieces get laid down alongside the older, more “yellowed” previous sections.

I know, I digress.

-J
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the links. That Crow/Raven build was one of the first things I remember seeing when I first discovered paper modeling. I thought I'd mentioned it in my first post in this thread but instead all I've written was "something I've wanted to do from as far back as I can remember becoming interested in this wonderful hobby of ours". That line is specifically referring to that model, I was blown away by his attention to detail and what could be achieved in paper. Thanks for the link, I tried searching for that post recently but couldn't remember where I'd seen it and had no luck finding it.

I thought about doing a parts count on mine but I tried that on my Scud build and kinda got slack with it and lost count at around the 4000 mark. I think I'm well into the hundreds here already.

Speaking of parts... I've now completed the inner mandible details, I managed to lose a couple of pics of the side plates that go behind the tractor beams but there's not much to them anyway. For this part, whatever it's called, there's not a lot of reference pics available due to it being between the two "jaws". It's very rarely visible at all but I didn't let that stop me going all out on the details.

Due to a lack of reference pics, I pretty much relied on this pic I found on the "Falcon A!" blog buy Jay Machado, who's been creating a 3D model of the Falcon, while also identifying and documenting the actual model kit parts that ILM used to build the original filming props. The upright part on the right is what I've built for now, I'll come back to the jaws themselves later in the build.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-millenniumfalcon.jawgrbl.3.jpg

The pics look a bit messy, mainly due to superglue but that'll all get covered up by paint.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190714201316.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190714201329.jpg

Next up I'm moving to the outer mandibles. Instead of building a separate part to attach later, I've removed the mandible sides from the model as I wanted to move them in a bit anyway to allow for a bit more depth when adding 3D detail, as the original model didn't allow for this.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post
One thing I’ve noticed while researching MF model builds (any medium) is the “Tardis” turret tunnel.
From the many screen grabs and set pics out there, the tunnel length looks to be 20’+, which is impossible, given the MF’s actual height.
Definitely. There's a lot about the dimensions inside and outside this ship that doesn't add up. One idea I had for the turret bay was to just build the upper one then put a mirror behind it to suggest the lower one was there, but I'm not convinced that would work too well.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rb View Post
Stunning work! Very accurate and detailed.

Nitpicky aside: the Falcon being a freight "pusher", using its mandibles to grab onto the containers, isn't that just retconned and now invalid given what we know happened to the hull in Solo?

I'm not trolling, just that one has to be careful when speaking about SW lore
I seen the Falcon "Pusher" variant on the SW website before Disney purchased the franchise. I remember that because I was looking for info for different ships for the D&D Star Wars RPG I was playing at that time.

Disney's researchers must not have done a very good job when gathering info for the movie "Solo", or decided there could be more then 1 variant of the falcon.

Beautiful job on the build so far, sorry about diverting your build thread.
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
The comments about Solo (the movie not the rogue-ish hero) and the mandibles made me curious as this was not something I can come across of thought about before.

From some quick research via Google, I'm not sure that the Solo MF is incompatible with the freight container manipulating capability, and that Lando might simply have opted out of this...

https://screenrant.com/solo-star-war...ferent-design/

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...cons-mandibles
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 AM

Regarding the above posts, there's so much info floating around regarding the Star Wars universe it would take forever to read it all and if you did, nothing would truly add up, I doubt it was ever expected to get as huge as it has, so back-stories and continuity weren't a high priority early on.

I appreciate the attempts that have made, to answer some unanswered questions and fill some gaps. I loved Rogue One, I really need to get around to watching Solo and I've always been a fan of the whole "Fan Film" scene.

So having said that, and having done some extensive research on the ESB Falcon in recent weeks, I should probably make a small disclaimer, before it's too late. My Falcon, while based primarily on the ESB Falcon will no doubt stray from the path on occaision. I'll make some mistakes, I'll get some of my references mixed up (have done that already) and in some cases, I'm just going to do stuff that I think looks cool.

Now, for the sake of making an update on the build, progress has slowed but there's a lot going on in the background. I've switched my focus to the cockpit and the lighting as a lot of my parts have started to arrive, including some really cool electronic additions I can't wait to show off. More on that later.

I've been in discussion with John (skyman00) about various cockpit parts and work has begun on the cockpit exterior. As for the interior, after some trial and error with downloaded files and some scratch building, I've decided to have a go at rescaling Uhu's cockpit to fit inside this one, thanks to suggestions by John and from GWC and Revell-Fan earlier in this thread.

I originally dismissed the idea as I thought it would be too much detail to squash down to this size (my uhu cockpit will be 26.7% the size of the original). Obviously I'm going to lose a lot of the detail but if I can pull it off, I think it's going to be great. On top of reducing it, I'm going to be lighting it with fibre optics and LEDs. Fun times ahead, trying to make it all work.

So that's where I'm at, no pics to show right now, I just felt like making an update as it's been a while.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
...So having said that, and having done some extensive research on the ESB Falcon in recent weeks, I should probably make a small disclaimer, before it's too late. My Falcon, while based primarily on the ESB Falcon will no doubt stray from the path on occaision. I'll make some mistakes, I'll get some of my references mixed up (have done that already) and in some cases, I'm just going to do stuff that I think looks cool.

+1 I agree, and I apologize for bringing up the pusher thing
As modelers it makes sense to put our own stamps on the things we build, otherwise we might end up being just copy shops!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rb View Post
+1 I agree, and I apologize for bringing up the pusher thing
No need to apologise, sorry if I sounded upset that you brought it up because I wasn't.

I finally got around to watching Solo, and retcon or not, I'm still going to embrace the freight pusher theory, despite "what happened in Solo" and here's why...

Upon the first sighting of the ship in the movie, Lando mentions he's "made a few modifications" to the original design, one of them being "escape pod added to the mandible notch".

Therefore, this escape pod has been added, it wasn't an original attachment, so the freight pusher theory still holds water, not to mention there's other information/blueprints/cutaway drawings floating around that also show escape pods in a completely different part of the ship.

One thing I did like about Solo, was how they basically somewhat "explain" why the Falcon only has 3 sets of landing gear in Star Wars, even if it isn't explained why it has 5 sets again in Empire Strikes Back, they just kind-of reappear.

But yeah, more digression, not enough building... There's plenty of building going on though, just no photos to post just yet.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
Definitely. There's a lot about the dimensions inside and outside this ship that doesn't add up. One idea I had for the turret bay was to just build the upper one then put a mirror behind it to suggest the lower one was there, but I'm not convinced that would work too well.

Speaking of mirrors, I've often thought of building a TARDIS where the door opens to allow you to see inside, and using mirrors to make the inside appear larger than the outside.
But I've never really found a layout that would work without breaking the illusion.
Google Adsense