PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-27-2019, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
One thing I did like about Solo, was how they basically somewhat "explain" why the Falcon only has 3 sets of landing gear in Star Wars, even if it isn't explained why it has 5 sets again in Empire Strikes Back, they just kind-of reappear.
Probably after the big party on Yavin IV, Solo was pretty flush with funds and was able to to some long overdue repairs to the Falcon...?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
Speaking of mirrors, I've often thought of building a TARDIS where the door opens to allow you to see inside, and using mirrors to make the inside appear larger than the outside.
But I've never really found a layout that would work without breaking the illusion.
have you tried forced perspective ?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Speaking of mirrors, I've often thought of building a TARDIS where the door opens to allow you to see inside, and using mirrors to make the inside appear larger than the outside.
But I've never really found a layout that would work without breaking the illusion.
That would indeed be an interesting model... What about a "pop out" design, similar to a pop up book where the exterior splits open and unfolds to expose a much larger interior... Somewhat possible but most likely very tricky to design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Probably after the big party on Yavin IV, Solo was pretty flush with funds and was able to to some long overdue repairs to the Falcon...?
Maybe yes. I like the way a lot of these newer movies try to tie themselves in to the existing story, I especially liked what Rogue One did to explain a huge missing chunk of story-line that pretty much set the scene for the original trilogy.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-28-2019, 03:02 AM

After plenty of discussion, digression and distraction, it's time to get back on track with some actual building. Don't get me wrong, I love the discussion, I could talk about this stuff forever.

It's been a busy week or so, trying to see how this idea of squeezing Uhu's cockpit into this model would work out. As mentioned previously, John (skyman00) has been incredibly helpful with his graphics skills, helping me re-scale and simplify Uhu's cockpit to suit this smaller scale while at the same time, enhancing the graphics and colours.

I've done another "quick and dirty" build of a basic Uhu cockpit to see how well it sits inside the Makino cockpit tube/nose. The Makino nose cone section is longer, leaving a gap in front of the control console but I should be able to fix this without making it noticeable.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728183153.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728183051.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728183228.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728183201.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728183030.jpg

I intend to print the actual cockpit on glossy photo paper and transparencies, to allow for a crisper, cleaner look, while also allowing for some back-lighting provided by side-glow fibre optics (think flourescent tube type lighting), along with some standard end glow fibre for small lights and some flashing lights/buttons.

I'll also be doing my usual layering and added detail to the cockpit, instead of trying to build some of Uhu's extra details at this scale.

While I wait for my new paper and a few more bits and pieces for the lighting, I decided to start detailing the exterior of the cockpit tube. I've been keen to start external paneling as soon as possible, so I can decide on a thickness for my panels, I've decided on 0.75mm as 1mm was too thick and the 0.5mm and 0.6mm card I have on hand seemed a bit too thin.

I've added all the panels, leaving a bit extra along the bottom edge in case I need to compensate for the curved hull later, Makino's hull is almost straight at the section where this tube is attached.

I've also added all the greeblies that run along the top of the tube and the cockpit, based on makino's textures and reference pics. I think some of these have ended up a bit more pronounced or raised than they should be, but I'm OK with that.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728182319.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728182334.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728182348.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728182415.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190728182808.jpg

The most annoying aspect here was the "ribbed" ring that goes almost all the way around the cockpit, it took me a full day to make it, gluing the brass rods to the card with CA glue, then finding out it had misaligned itself so I had to start the whole thing over again.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Cockpit and tube detailing are great - great choise to use UHU cockpit. Can not wait to see the hull painted.

If I take 5foot Falcon as reference, paneling should be arround 0,45mm in your scale. On 32inch Falcon it can be different

Extensions for X-wing
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2019, 12:20 AM

Yeah, you're right, it is a little bit thicker at 0.75mm but it stands out really well, I'll probably give the cockpit tube a base coat of primer and paint before continuing on with more paneling and decide from there if it needs to be thinner or not.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Doing okay? I'm going through Falcon withdrawal
Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Haha, sorry, I'm suffering a bit of that myself... The build has slowed due to some real life stuff getting in the way. Nothing serious, just important enough to eat into precious build time.

There have also been some build related distractions, work is progressing slowly but there's not much to show as yet. I'm currently "wiring" up the control console and the rest of the cockpit with fiber optics, while also test building some cockpit nav seats John was kind enough to send me. Aside from the minimal building spurts, I've been diving headfirst into learning about Arduino micro-controllers as a new way to control the lighting. I wasn't happy with how my original idea was turning out then stumbled across another build on the DeAgostini forum where a guy called Chip has used Arduino and some addon electronics to control his lights (and sounds) for his DeAgo build and it got me wanting to do the same.

So basically, the electronics have slowed me down for now but it will be worth it if I can pull it off, after that, the build itself should pick up some decent speed, the Makino kit is proving to be a fantastic base for this kind of up-scaling etc.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
This is looking insanely good jaffro!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 08-14-2019, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Quote:

Not to hijack the thread, but I found that simply printing the interior on a concave sheet worked pretty well.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-tardis_door.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-tardis_interior.jpg

The Falcon looks incredible. I've long thought that it would be cool to tackle the Falcon the same style (and scale) as that guy who did the 777 out of manila folders. Glad to see someone else is taking her on at a large scale.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Google Adsense