PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.

I can no longer resist the urge to start something I've wanted to do from as far back as I can remember becoming interested in this wonderful hobby of ours.

I'll be alternating between this and my other not-so-small project, but for now, this one has taken over as my main priority.

I'll be building a replica of the studio filming prop used in The Empire Strikes Back. There have been many slightly different versions of this ship used for filming the various movies in the two later trilogy's, this build will be focusing on the 1:43 (80cm) model. This is the same prop the DeAgostini model was based on. Here's a couple of pics of the DeAgostini model:

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-dsc00548.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-dsc00549.jpg

I was recently inspired by a build I saw on Zealot, which was also featured on many popular websites across the globe, built by Bernard Szukiel, almost entirely out of paper, he built it from scratch and it took him 4 years... here is his model:

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-1.jpg

The above picture is currently my desktop wallpaper on my computer, which has played a big part in pushing me into starting this build.

Recently, right here on our forum, Svendo has built the SF Papercraft Falcon, which is how I found out it had been updated to a larger size with even more detail than the original. Seeing this build completed was what pushed me over the edge. I've been procrastinating a bit with the 42 wheels on my M1000 trailer but feeling the urge to build something.

I will be using the updated (2017) version of Shunichi Makino's model, which can be found at his SF Papercraft Gallery website as a base for this build. It's an excellent model with fantastic textures and details, perfect for an upscaled and added detail build like this.

I have started by Building this model "out of the box". This was to give me an idea how it goes together, and will help me plan how I'm going to build it at the larger size and incorporate extra details and added elements. Here is my "quick and dirty" build:

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190625205728.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190625205741.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190625205815.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190625205838.jpg

Next up, after calculating the scale adjustments needed to convert this model to a larger size, I'm off to a print shop to have it printed out in multiple copies, prior to lamination etc.

Before I go too far with the build, I need to plan out the electronic side of things. I plan to add a full cockpit, gun bays, landing gear and boarding ramp, I also intend to have it fully lit using LEDs and fiber optics. Once completed, I will be giving it the full painting and weathering treatment.

I plan to add every panel, greeble, pipe, tube and detail that can be found drawn on the Makino model, in 3D, in paper where possible. I'll be adding landing gear, with the possibility of eventually displaying it in a hangar diorama alongside an x-wing or two, but it's way too soon to be thinking along those lines.

So, first up, I'm off to the print shop in 2 days, meanwhile, I've ordered some lighting parts and fiber optics. I've never lit a model before, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
That "quick and dirty" build is beautiful all by itself, so I'm looking forward very much to your "slow and clean" build!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 06-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Thanks g0rb. It's got a lot of mistakes in it but it serves it's purpose, it's a fantastic kit, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a nice looking model of this ship.

The possibilities are endless for people wanting to print multiple copies to use extra layers for added details, and seeing as she is "the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" you can get away with a sloppy build and it still comes out looking just as it does in the movies.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
This is definitely a thread to subscribe to.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks like a plan.
What will you use to mask the lights so they do not shine through where you don't want?
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2019, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Good idea to build this fantastic project. Here is a link to the construction report of the model of Slawek, which was the help for my construction.

Slawek's Millennium Falcon

Unfortunately, the model is no longer available ...

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Jaffro,
Do you have plans to curve the hulls? -J
Attached Thumbnails
Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-mf-cs-hull.jpg  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
What will you use to mask the lights so they do not shine through where you don't want?
There's going to be a bit of trial and error. I've seen some plastic builds where they added lights and used black paint on the interior to block the bleeding light. Most of the LEDs I'll be using will either be used as external landing lights or internally to light the fiber optics so I'm hoping I won't have too many bleed issues anyway.

I haven't decided what to do with the engine exhaust yet, seeing as it will be displayed in a parked state, the engine shouldn't really be lit anyway, but I'm thinking about building in the ability to display it both parked and in flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk310149 View Post
Here is a link to the construction report of the model of Slawek, which was the help for my construction.
Thanks, I read that thread yesterday, along with yours. More inspiration. I also read the full build log of your ISS 3 build, congratulations on finishing it, that's an extremely impressive looking model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post
Jaffro, Do you have plans to curve the hulls?
Definitely. I plan to make it as close to the studio prop as I can. The hulls curved quite well in my build of the SF Papercraft model, using 250gsm card. I plan to build the larger version the same way, then add strength to it by adding the external hull plates individually, using 0.5mm card, or maybe even 1mm. I'll experiment with that once I have the basic structure built.

I'm going to build the bottom hull section first, this is where the bulk of the lighting will go too. This will allow me to try out different stuff that won't be so visible later on and I'll be able to learn how to make the top half perfect.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
I've heard several people who glue aluminum foil inside paper models to block light where it's not wanted.
It is extremely thin and reflects all the light away.
Not that I've had a chance to use this technique yet.

But I will certainly be following this build thread. I've come so close to buying the DeAgostini model myself. I'd say this will take quite a bit of re-enforcement to stand up under it's own weight.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
I also read the full build log of your ISS 3 build, congratulations on finishing it, that's an extremely impressive looking model!

Thank for this compliment!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Google Adsense