PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-28-2019, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
You're welcome Michael.

John, tin foil was one method I've considered also, I've just returned from the print shop, they sell a silver coated cardstock I've used before, that's another option, especially for inside the engine bay if I light it.

As for the model holding it's own weight, the model itself has a fairly rigid center structure made up of a disc with internal box formers. I may even use something stronger than cardstock for the bottom layer of this and the landing legs will be attached to this.

While we're on that subject, the original filming model used in Star Wars (Ep IV) had 3 landing legs. When they built the full size set for Empire Strikes Back, they had to add extra legs to support the full weight of the set, the rear legs also gained an extra pair of "feet". That gives me 7 legs to spread the weight between and it's definitely going to be heavy.

So... Speaking of print shop, and heavy... I just had the parts sheets printed at 1:43 (I hope it's 1:43 anyway... the girl who did the printing for me was a bit vague but seemed to understand what I wanted). I knew A3 was going to be too small but she had trouble making it fit on A2 for some reason so we settled for printing the pdf at 218% on A1, The size they use for architectural plans.

I knew this think was going to be big, but wow... this thing is going to be BIG!

Here's a couple of shots with the A4 version of the model, the second shot shows both versions of the same parts sheet.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190629143930.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190629144137.jpg

So now I have a far bit of planning and laminating to do, to decide just how to build the internal structure while leaving it open for the wiring and lighting etc.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-28-2019, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
The printed sheets are a sight to behold in themselves! Really exciting. I look forward to following the progress on your build, and especially your detailing techniques.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Wow, it is starting.

I am sooo loking forward to this build. Hopefully watching your build will finaly push me to build my own 1:48 scale version too. I had an idea to hang it on the wall so technicaly I would need to detail only top half )

From my experience, detailing can get quite heavy so do not underestimate it and strengthen it more than less.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 06-29-2019, 09:26 PM

Glad to see others are just as excited about this as I am, I've enjoyed all my previous builds but this one has been in the back of my mind for so long it feels really good to be finally starting it, especially seeing how large it's going to be, allowing for some serious detailing.

As for displaying the finished model, again I'll be borrowing ideas I've seen others do on the DeAgostini model. There's actually a wall mount option that uses a swivel wall mount designed for small TVs and computer monitors, not sure I want to go down that path. Another idea I've seen done a lot both with the DeAgostini model and the Ultimate Collector Series Lego version, is to display it in a glass case coffee table. I really like this idea.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-12207.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-y1ieoqd010gf.jpg

The Death Star hangar bay idea has been used a lot. Considering this is the Empire Strikes Back Falcon, I'm thinking I might like to put it in something like the Hoth Rebel base, alongside an X-Wing or two.

Another idea I'm considering borrowing from a build I've seen is to display it on a mirror base, with some ground support equipment, like a fueling station, plugged into the falcon, with the battery pack/power supply for the lighting hidden inside the fuel pump. I like this idea a lot because it will make it easier to change batteries, not to mention keep a potential heat source out of the model if I end up going with AC power.

I'm currently gluing the pieces together that make up the internal structure, prior to laminating. I'll show some pics of that later, I'm also tempted to include some pics of the look on my partner's face when she saw the size of the thing I'm about to start building on her kitchen table.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:16 PM

I personaly dont like coffee table display.It feels somohow dishonesting for the model to me. Like it is just a secondary decoration and not a piece to watch and admire.

I would like to see your partner face if it is similar to my wifes face when ot comes to papermodeling))

Extensions for X-wing
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2019, 01:18 AM

Yes and no... If presented properly it could be the centerpiece of a whole room (try getting that one past the wife ). I want the model to be protected from dust etc so a display case of some kind would be good, a model this size is going to need a display case the size of a table anyway.

In other news... I've made some purchases for this build, such as lighting, paint, wires for detailing etc. My first package arrived today...

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190701154337.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190701154451.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190701154515.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190701154540.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190701154552.jpg

I thought it might come in handy for the build and it definitely will, there's some great pictures and information to go along with the mountain of reference pics I've been collecting.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Maybe this may be interesting for you (if you do not already know it)

ParaGrafix™ - Product Search

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 AM

It is good book, I have one. I have tons of reference but for 5ft Falcon. If you want something to know, just ask and I will see If I can help.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 07-01-2019, 04:27 AM

Here it some photo of original 32" falcon:

Modeler's Miniatures & Magic

Extensions for X-wing
Old 07-01-2019, 05:07 AM

Thanks for the link Michael but those sets are a bit pricey. I'm pretty confident I can build a pretty decent cockpit from scratch, using some graphics posted in another thread on this forum, once I figure out the lighting.

Google Adsense