PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-01-2019, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
Here it some photo of original 32" falcon
Thanks for that link, there's some nice closeups there that'll come in handy for sure.

I'm thinking I will also build imcold's x-wing to go with this, scaled down to match, I downloaded it and your extra parts, so I'll be looking for x-wing reference pics when the time comes

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-02-2019, 12:22 AM

I've just cut out the laminated bottom piece of the internal structure. I laminated the printed section to some 1000gsm agency board, it's about 2mm thick and very dense. The internal structure in the kit has a top and bottom piece and some boxes arranged in a star, I'll be replacing the boxes with ribs, with holes in them for the wiring and fibre optic to run through, I'll also try to enclose the LEDs that feed the fibre optic in this section to help eliminate any light bleed, although I'll have to wait and see if temperature is going to be an issue, in which case I'll look at adding some kind of ventilation, maybe even utilising the six vents on the back of the ship.

Just one pic for now of the bottom section. The original model is my scale cube for now, that's about 37cm (15 inches) and that's an A2 cutting mat underneath.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190702160616.jpg

Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
I'm going to throw in this "comment" out of curiosity. This is going to be a build I watch and admire the skill that goes into it. UHU02 built a cockpit of the Millennium Falcon....size the actual build around that? It would be HUGE!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Some great info here about the Falcon from all the contributing commentators. Your model is shaping up to be impressive. Looking forward to it!

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com
Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 365.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
Just one pic for now of the bottom section. The original model is my scale cube for now, that's about 37cm (15 inches) and that's an A2 cutting mat underneath.

Attachment 388086
That is BIG! How does it compare to your 80 cm target? Looks pretty close 👍
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC View Post
UHU02 built a cockpit of the Millennium Falcon....size the actual build around that? It would be HUGE!
There's a guy that built a cockpit bunk bed for his son, the whole ship would be the size of a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57townsman View Post
That is BIG! How does it compare to your 80 cm target? Looks pretty close 👍
Currently sitting at about 78cm without the engine "flaps" so it's looking right on track to hit the 80.8cm target.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Just saw this. Simply amazing work!
Dan
Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
I look forward to seeing your internal structure solution with the ribbing. I’m curious to see how you incorporate the dorsal and ventral non-hull shapes (boarding/port/cockpit corridors, freight & missile hold areas, LG housing structures, etc.) into the hull. Inside the ribbing, sitting on top of the hull or a combination of both?

BTW, Here's a DB page of ESB Falcon pics & refs I found in my MF stash, from a year ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbhdubf5q...6l4Y15a?dl=0#/

Hope it helps. -J
Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 AM

Thanks for that link Skyman, there's some great pics in that lot.

Not much to report so far, while I still wait for all the lighting parts to arrive, but in the meantime there's still plenty I can do.

I started putting the internal structure together and I decided to start on the engine area, in particular the jet nozzles, because it fits into the internal structure. Most of the filming models don't have a lot of detail in this area as it is mostly seen in flight with CG effects added. There's a lot of different takes on how it should look depicted in various models of the Falcon too.

I want to display the model in a "landed" pose, which won't require the engine to be lit up, but I'm going to light it up anyway, with a switch to turn the lights on and off. Due to this, I wanted to add extra detail to this area. The filming prop I'm basing this build on just uses a strip of blueish plastic but that's too simple for my liking.

I've seen a few 3D printed parts and model kits showing some detailed engine nozzles and I like the look so that's what I'm trying to emulate, these two pics show what one guy (Mark Warren) did on a build of the DeAgostini kit with added detail.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-photo-306.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-engine-vent-type-2.jpg

Mark has added a heap of extra detail to his kit, I love a lot of the ideas he came up with and I'll be emulating a lot of them on my build.

He built these nozzles using plastic rectangle tubing, I used the measurements of his tubing to make my own hand drawn nozzles from 1mm card... 128 of them. I have also built a removable box to contain the engine nozzles/vents and the lighting etc I'll be adding later, this just slots straight in to the rear of the internal structure.

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190705162112.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190706182236.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190706182158.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190706185012.jpg

There's still going to be an external grille that fits over this section, similar to the part that comes with the kit, as seen in the last picture.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:40 PM

External grille/grate/venty thing...

Millennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190707121303.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190707132851.jpgMillennium Falcon, Studio Scale, High Detail.-img20190707132754.jpg

Google Adsense