PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
My Rocinante with extra detail

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching TV and decided that since I hadn't really thought to look it up till then, why not search for The Expanse and see if it's as good as people claim it is? So I looked it up and began watching, and... yes. Yes, it is just as good as people say it is, and now I'm eagerly awaiting season 4! But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to talk about how watching that show got me looking up models of the Rocinante, and when I saw that someone had designed a paper model of it, and that this model was detailed and accurate, I knew I had to download and build it! It was only 16 pages, so why not? The only real catch is that I'm between houses at the moment and staying at my parent's house for the time being, so all my modeling tools are packed away in a box sitting in a storage unit sixty miles from here. But all I really needed was a blade, a straightedge, and some glue and I'd be set. I got that from Walmart, as well as some cardstock, and immediately set about building the ship. I also decided I'd try and give it as much detail as I could, so I ended up printing two copies of the kit. They ended up being two slightly different shades of gray, but I actually like this. It makes it look more visually interesting. It took about 1.5 weeks to finish, and I think it turned out pretty well. There were some fit issues that I couldn't overcome, despite using the recommended 65lb cardstock and using millimeter precision in cutting the pieces. Probably has to do with my gluing technique. But in any case, they didn't detract too much from the finished article. Those eight parts around the cargo bay, though... whew boy, those things took forever because I wanted to bring out their details and while I enjoy putting in extra detail, it's hard to do it eight times in a row! Those parts slowed me down considerably. I think if I hadn't detailed them and had just folded them up, it would have taken half the time to finish. But I do like the result, so it's not so bad.

Anyway, on to the pics!

Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2019, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Stunning work!!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
Nice detailing.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Unbelievable! I had plans to publish a detailing kit at some point, but real life intruded... I no longer have the time and energy to work on paper model :( But I love seeing what others do with it!
Old 09-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Absolutely inspirational! I, also, like to add as much detail as my nerves can tolerate.
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful. Working on the Roci as my first paper model build. Would love to hear some tips on how you were able to add such detail!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:59 AM

Well, mainly it was just layering. I almost always print multiple copies of kits I build so that I can cut extra detail parts from them and glue them to the original print. It takes a bit of thought sometimes to figure out how to go about doing this. For instance, the gun bay doors were multiple steps. First I would cut the individual doors apart and then glue them to a piece of cardstock with a slight gap between them. Then I would cut them out and set them aside. I would then glue the top panel of the main part to cardstock two or three times to build up thickness and then cut the doors from the inside, and then trimmed away the card around the outside. Then I glued the doors I made to the resulting rim, and then folded up the gun bay. Hopefully this is clear, because I neglected to take pictures of the process, heh.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ok that makes perfect sense, except one thing... what material did you use to visually conceal the edges of the cardstock that is layered? It appears that the material used in the original gun bay part doesn’t contain enough to cover 3-4 stacked layers or am I mis-judging
Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 PM

I didn't use any materials. I just bought an assortment of Sharpies and used the Light Gray marker to color them and make them less obvious. Additionally, I've been experimenting with Apple Barrel acrylics, and they're pretty great for this, too, and you can get them in ANY color you want.