PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 11-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Having a quick look. It seems that imcold's X-Wing may scale up properly.
I've done a few test prints at 267% 1:48 -> 1:18 scale and it doesn't look too bad.
The only real problem is not everything lines up on 11" X 17" properly.
But it's a start.

Cheers,

John Gay
Old 11-22-2019, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
John, if you scale it exactly 2x, it will be the same size as the filming miniatures in the first movie, give or take a millimeter here and there (it was convenient to downscale everything by 2 instead of relying on some fictional scales or sizes given for the "real" X-Wing). That makes slightly over 20" for the fuselage length; the engines add an extra inch I think.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:49 AM

My target is to match the 1:18 scale Kenner Action Figures so I could sit Luke in the cockpit. Also that will match the 1:18 scale Millennium Falcon cockpit I built from UHU02's 1:12 scale on I re-sized for the same reason.
Building the rest of the Millennium Falcon in 1:18 scale is something I'm still working upto (-=
Old 11-25-2019, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
As I write this, UHUO2's X-Wing is currently available for download. If I recall correctly, the completed model works out to 1/48 scale. Based on my experience with the TIE Interceptor, it should scale up nicely using a wide format printer.

-Doug
Old 12-02-2019, 12:36 PM

As much as I enjoy UHU02's details and skills, I'm not looking for his cut-away version which includes enormous amounts of internal parts and cut-out all over to display these details.

So I have currently just printed imcold's Canopy and cockpit parts at 267% in black&white to verify the scale with my Action Figure.
I found that by restricting the viewport in Acrobat Reader, I can print the "current view" as the scale I need to get the parts I want on the page. It's not ideal, but it helps.
Also, even at 267% scale, the details really do stand up to close-up viewing! That is amazing detail, imcold!
Google Adsense
Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
That sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing it - with the figure in place, of course.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
That is amazing detail, imcold!

Thanks, I remember I went a bit overboard with the dashboard and even added some easter eggs. But for even more detail, take a look at Petr's cockpit set - he replicated the ANH dashboard and it looks great.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 AM

So I printed just the cockpit and canopy in Black and White to check the fit.

Sitting nicely . . .

Put the canopy on . . .

I thought Luke was supposed to be a little short for a Stormtrooper?!?

My daughter got my the X-Wing pilot Luke, and he seems just slightly shorter.

Or maybe I should print at 270%? or possibly a bit more? I know the Kenner Action Figures are only approximately 1:18 scale. But when I scaled UHU02's Millennium Falcon cockpit, they seemed spot-on. But then UHU02 started with the 1:12 scale figures and scaled his build from that.

However, I am still working on a Stick and Tissue Hindenburg right now. I'll come back to this one when that one is done, I think.

But I'm pretty sure I've got the model I want to start with now. I'll just try tweaking the scale a bit more when I'm ready to commit.

Cheers,

John Gay
Old 12-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
With Star Wars ships and vehicles, as with any fictional vehicle, the sizes are often made up and don't exactly match the scale of a human, even when they put in effort to get it right. In this case though, I think it's not a problem with the scale, but with the cockpit in the model kit. The seat is not supposed to be high enough to be visible outside the canopy. You can see in this blueprint that the pilot's head is supposed to be just above the lower frame of the canopy:

I would use this blueprint to rebuild the cockpit at the correct depth and possibly scratch build a new seat as well in order to fit a 1:18 figure.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:18 AM

Is the upper part of the seat flat against the back wall? It doesn't seem to be from the side photo. But I think it still won't be enough. You can make a improvised hole into the bottom part of the cockpit and the part it sits on and glue the seat partially in it, that should solve it.

By the way, the seat was designed to fit Tirick's paper figurines, I don't think I tried anything else. (Also C8 should be glued to C1 from the inside. It's not marked on the parts, my bad)
Google Adsense

Tags
scratchbuilt, star wars, starfighter, x-wing, x-wing starfighter