PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-02-2019, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
I'll keep the project updates flowing and thanks for remembering me.

I am "The Duke"!

LOL

Be safe!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 AM

Added spacer ring to reinforce bottom area. Will rework landing gear wells tonight. There are a lot of issues as I said before. This model is much more difficult to keep straight due to the scale and media too.

Stand by for more fun to come!

Duke out!
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 2 building-img_20191203_024939-1612x1209.jpg  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Which version of the Jupiter 2 is this?

Looks like you have done a very good job keeping the skin smooth
Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM

I started with the design from Vinicio Munoz. It was a white page, (No Paint), publish. I am painting as I assemble and correct the model design defects. I have a version I designed 10 years ago that I intend to borrow some scaled up parts from too. The model is going to be a lot of parts combined into a final publish by me with credit for the parts used from the white paper designer. As it is I'm not seeing much of the original that will be left in. The skins are going to be reworked as larger pieces and the internal supports have turned out to be incorrect profiles. You may want to wait until I run all the traps before you try and build it. Lots of work left to do. I am shooting for Christmas to publish a beta for the group. I do not intend on detailing a lower deck interior. If someone else wants that job I will be more than happy to let them roll with it. I will also be using some clear plastic for freezing tubes and windscreen.

BTW Still looking for details on the wall area behind the freezing tubes on the upper deck. Need to paint that wall.

Also I plan on contacting Mike to do the instructions. He can interpret Duke Speak very well if he has the time.

Duke Out!
Old 12-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I've never understood why someone didn't design and offer (and even sell) an accurate-but-simple J2. I don't need an interior. Just the shell. Maybe accurate landing legs as an option.
Google Adsense
Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 PM

You can build without the interior. I just want the detail. The other J2 offerings are good models. I just built/bashed Gary P's. But scaling it up was not a option structurally. I will be on this project awhile and will detail it out as best I can. If you like I can publish a Beta without the interior next week sometime. I should be far enough along for that by then.

Enjoy!

Carl
Old 12-03-2019, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I've never understood why someone didn't design and offer (and even sell) an accurate-but-simple J2. I don't need an interior. Just the shell. Maybe accurate landing legs as an option.
Yeah, I don't get it, either. I mean, it would be dead simple to model in the computer as a CG model using one of the many accurate plans available online and then just unfold and post.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.87 MB
Watching, waiting, excited!
This will be going in my build que!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumfalsehood View Post
Yeah, I don't get it, either. I mean, it would be dead simple to model in the computer as a CG model using one of the many accurate plans available online and then just unfold and post.
In fairness, while the design would be simple in theory -- in essence, the original J2 boils down to a series of truncated cones with a bubble on top -- there are a number of different versions out there, all claiming to be "correct." And the life-size upper version built for the show differed from the models used for filming the special effects. (And we're just talking about the exterior. Reconciling the interior sets with the exterior shape and dimensions is a whole other can of worms.)

That said, Ron Gross is a bona fide expert on the subject and his blueprints would be a great place to start:
https://culttvman.com/main/ron-gross...-2-blueprints/
Old 12-04-2019, 04:25 AM

I agree with dhanners. The set and studio models do not match up. It's all very confusing. I need interior details, (Pictures or drawings), of the area behind the freezing tubes. I got the landing leg well areas fixed last night. will post pictures by tomorrow night. Any and all reference material that you guys or gals have would be most appreciated.

BTW Mike V. has agreed to do the instructions on this one and I will send him the first Beta pages next week. Please take into account that this project is gonna be a design and build as I go, and early beta stuff may not be what goes into the final.

I don't want this to be just me. This is a model we have all been waiting for and I think any involved should be give credit.

Duke Out!
Google Adsense