PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-01-2020, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Looks to me like the front section is the same, but those three rectangular structures on the top and two sides are bigger and extend forward more than on the "normal" Morrigan class.
Attached Thumbnails
MCRN Morrigan: Release-img_9418.jpg  
Old 05-02-2020, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
a few more Blender models of the update. A total rework.

I've been studying a raft of images of the ship and as I do this new details keep popping that either got missed on the first version of scrapped because of issues with making the final model. I am however planning on trying to build as the model shows.

New model is on the top in all images the old on the bottom.

A run down of a few things from front of ship to rear.

Reworked front cowl. Shorter wider and with additional 'flaring' detail.
Mid section rework with larger intakes that are not as wide (when taken in to proportion with the rest of the model)
Re positioning of just about all major parts, railgun mounts and housing moved forward along with a redesigned railgun.
Re designed smaller upper intakes which are slightly wider but not as high.
Small rescaling of engineering parts and details.

In general the goal was to rework bits and pieces that were not right or had work arounds on the previous models try to fix the scale of certain parts and include details that were missing.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:47 PM

It's good to update things as new/better information comes along. Good work.

I'd be interested, though, in whatever photos/screen caps you have that show eight bell stays and eight flaps on the bell of the Epstein Drive. Everything I've seen shows only six of each.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
It's good to update things as new/better information comes along. Good work.

I'd be interested, though, in whatever photos/screen caps you have that show eight bell stays and eight flaps on the bell of the Epstein Drive. Everything I've seen shows only six of each.

Been taking a closer look at the technical diagram for the vessel and I can't believe I missed it but it does look like it only has 6 bell flaps. From what I can tell though it does have 8 bell stays.

I am looking at the centre and left image here. On the centre image the layout of centre stay puts it directly between two bell flaps. The image on the left shows a side profile with the stay directly in line with a bell flap. I am guessing the only way that would happen is if there are more stays than flaps. Either that or the stays aren't spaced evenly around the bell housing. Then you get back to the top image, the one on the right. It now shows the centre stay sitting directly between two bell flaps.

I am thinking 6 flaps and 8 stays.

Last edited by Cheesy Wotsit; 05-03-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:25 AM

I guess we need to find some screen caps. I found some illustrations online that show six flaps and six stays, but for some reason, something is not letting me upload the photos right now.

Here's a URL for one of the illustrations: https://www.deviantart.com/azzecco/a...anse-824712485

No idea how "accurate" it is....
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I guess we need to find some screen caps. I found some illustrations online that show six flaps and six stays, but for some reason, something is not letting me upload the photos right now.

Here's a URL for one of the illustrations: https://www.deviantart.com/azzecco/a...anse-824712485

No idea how "accurate" it is....

I swear this ship is like one of those impossible structures. some of the parts just shouldn't work they way they do in the real world. Anyway I decided to throw this together from the tech diagram. I've had to do a little extrapolation on the right side of the image but I am assuming that the left and right layouts match

looking at that alongside the Blender model I can't find how the diagram they have there works with any less than 8 stays. Unless of course they use a truly odd layout on the right side of the model.

The image you posted does indeed have 6 stays, but look at the engine bell flap locations. They have flaps located dead centre top and bottom where as the image above has them offset either side of dead centre.

Lol you gotta love the ships in The Expanse, no two ships ever seem to be quite the same, even the stringent exact ism of the MCRN results in ships that are all a little bit different. Coming from Trek where every ship is identical bar the name and registry number this makes for a refreshing if not annoying, from a designers point of view, change!

This is the only in show image of the back end of a Morrigan class

It's taken from when one passes the Arboghast on it's decent in to Venus and shows exactly none the detail I really need

Anyway I am going with the 6 bell flaps and 8 stays for now. Of course that may change depending on how the build goes.

I had to redo the engine bell totally as the previous version didn't have enough faces to allow even splitting in to 6. Also add some tweaks and details along with a slight tweak and scale of the stay covers / mounts.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:53 AM

A little update with some info on the reworked Morrigan. The model has been getting built slowly but surely with reowkrs being done as and when needed. The intention is too make this a much more detailed and hopefully a little more accurate version of the ship.

Just to show the sort of additions I am looking at I've got a few images of the new version of the railgun. The railgun on the old version was a pretty much like for like copy and reskin of the one for the Roci. This is a whole new ground up redesign with the intention of adding an awful lot more detail and hopefully represents the additional level of detail I am putting in to, have put in to the new Morrigan.

The model on the right is a testers build, one I put together to work out some of the finer details on how to build the part. The one on the left is the final version.

The railguns are amongst some of the last parts to be built for the new model so I'll be posting some side by sides of the new model vs the old model very soon hopefully and will then look at getting a new instruction set written up and posted.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:15 PM

Looks very nice and, yes, you've added a lot of welcome detail.

Technically, in The Expanse universe, the weapon is called a point defense cannon, or PDC for short. And since the books and show obey the laws of physics, the PDCs have thrusters in the back to counteract the recoil of the cannon.

Railguns are a different weapon.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:52 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Looks very nice and, yes, you've added a lot of welcome detail.

Technically, in The Expanse universe, the weapon is called a point defense cannon, or PDC for short. And since the books and show obey the laws of physics, the PDCs have thrusters in the back to counteract the recoil of the cannon.

Railguns are a different weapon.

Lol nice spot. I have no idea why I called it a railgun. I know fine well they are PDCs. I am gonna go with me being a total spanner. Lol thing is in the build set I've labelled the parts with the prefix RG as well as naming all the associated parts with 'railgun'.

Oh well I'll sort all that when I finalise the parts.

I had a quick look. I called them 'railguns' in the last Morrigan build as well....
Old 07-02-2020, 06:34 PM

So the model is having some of the last few details added on but thought I would post some pictures.

Firstly we have to see where we came from, you may remember this bad boy the Scipio Africanus

The front with antenna and questionable number of torpedo launchers, the image for the Scipio does only show one though so I guess it was correct?

Side view, bits missing from the vessel such as the rails that run above and below the PDCs and the model was a two section design. Detail was lacking in terms of texture and detail as well as body work parts.

Side front, thruster array was just wrong and again the plating was a bit off and lacking in detail

Engine bell, was wrong layout and number of stays as well as fins, infact the entire back end was just a bit off. Again lack of detail and design compared to the actual ship

Underside, again wrong shape for the docking bay, engineering details lacking the usual stuff

The model was designed around ease of trying to build as well as limitations in experience and design with the new version I have tried to fix and expand on the level of detail as well as the complexity of while trying some different techniques for building parts.

So the big update firstly we have the new Blender model

It's a combination of trying to get as close to the actual shape of the ship while adding more detail within a level that can actually be built. I've taken a few artistic liberties in terms of shape and design of some parts of vessel as the vessel is an oddly difficult one in terms of interconnected bits to get right. The same goes for texturing and detail.

So what's changed with this model over the last version? Well the biggest change is this

Say hello to the Cu Chulainn.

Named after a Celtic God and if you're wondering when she appears in The Expanse it's the vessel that the Roci nearly runs in to when Alex is doing his rollercoaster ride around the moons of Jupiter on his re-entry to Ganymede. I chose it because it is one of the few models where it is possible to get a 360 degree look at the layout of the ships livery.

I've also tweaked; the colouring, darker blacks and a better contrast of orange and grey (this took a fair amount of tweaking of monitor settings to get what was on my screen coming out of my printer), added detailing and wear and tear (I have tried to cut down on cut and paste pattern repetition of things like dirt, detail and wear basically tried to give it a more naturally occurred look.) I also sorted the plating texture effect so that it is closer to the actual vessel in terms of size and layout while trying to add a better depth effect to it.

New front end that's been reshaped along with increase in detail with added depth to detail parts. The parts should also fit together a bit better than the older ones

Top front, more detail, and added the cut away insert where the rear hull and front meet. Also rescaled and resized the various 'intakes'.

All the new stuff in one shot. The model now has three main sections. I've sorted the back end of the model to more closely represent the layout and design of the fins. Added loads of additional detail and parts to rear sections of the model. Added the missing rails above and below the PDCs as well as repositioning the layout of the PDCs and their mounts and yes new stands for displaying the model.

Engine bell has had a whole load of new details added as well as a rework of the textures and look. The model does include the correct number of stays and fins as well as their layout, however my build actually has the stays incorrectly laid out. The whole point was to add depth and detail to the parts around the back. This has had a fair amount of artistic liberty taken as there is literally only one shot of the back end of this ship and it has next to no useable detail in it.

New better shaped and detail docking bay and engineering section. I know odd going for detail on something that will never get seen unless it is removed from the stand but it actually bugged me going for the lower detail incorrectly shaped parts simply for a quicker easier build.

Just a close up of one of the thruster modules showing a closer look at some of the texture and plating details

Her sitting with her fellow Expanse mates. The Roci will be getting new stands that match the Truman and Morrigan very shortly.
Google Adsense