PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-04-2020, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
UN Truman Class Battleship The Expanse

Just a quick look at what I've been working on for the last few months.

I hinted at the project way back... wow sometime last year. Had issue with my computer which resulted in old projects being tanked.

since then I've just been keeping my head down and with other world issues resulting in me no longer being at work I've managed to push on with this bad boy.

I've made a few significant changes in the way I design and built this model. I am still using Blender for the modelling, however I am now using Inkscape for all the export and texturing work.

The results speak for themselves as their are no longer any lose of image quality when exporting. This results in better looking parts that build better and require far less post export tweaking. It has also allowed for a more complex build. This model is by far and away much more complex than any of the other models I've done so far.

A few additional notes this is no specific ship from the show. It is simply a representation of the Un Truman Class. To my knowledge the vessel has appeared two if not three times. In season 2 you had the Agatha King and in Season 3 you had the Thomas Prince the thing is both ships while sharing similar design are actually rather different. Colour scheme and additional details are both different so this model is a meant to be a mix of these ships.

It's allowed for a bit of creative freedom to get round certain colouring and design issues with the ship itself. I've also gone for a worn look to represent the in cannon fact that the UN fleet is made of older well worn vessels.

The Blender model

The Actual model

I am not planning to release an instruction set for this model. I love the design and build but instruction sets I am just not that motivated when it comes to writing them up.

If folk want to build it I do have the full plan set and I'll upload the complete plan set, plus the Blender model as this gives a pretty good idea of the build.
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Looks very nice! Looking forward to seeing the pages. Thanks for designing and offering this.

Any idea of scale, and dimensions of the finished model?

Last edited by dhanners; 04-04-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Agreed. Great design and build. Change in software (and design technique) shows.

Please share.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
I'll give it a go if you'll post it.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Here are the files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0...OrVr4Ue5o7O7FF

Sub divided folders BUILD has the original .SVG files in them. They can either be printed directly from Inkscape or any other .SVG reader or if you wish you can use Inkscape's save feature to save directly to a PDF file and print from there. The original files also allow anyone that wants to edit them and make changes as they see fit.

BLENDER includes the Blender files that I used to create the models. I've only included the last 3 Blender files. I make changes and update as the build progresses.

I believe I included some details on export sizes from Blenders Paper Model as well as some scaling values for parts on the first page of the .SVG files. Just in case though

If you're exporting a part from Blender you need to export at 32.0 scale. Once in Inkscape you'll needed to then scale it 104% for all parts except internal support parts, these are scaled 102%.

The model itself is a similar size to my Donnager model at around 50cm in size.

That makes it a 1 / 700 scale.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
How are you going about making the markings and colors in inkscape? I make stuff in blender all the time and I've been trying to move to generated textures. But your mechanism might be easier.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
How are you going about making the markings and colors in inkscape? I make stuff in blender all the time and I've been trying to move to generated textures. But your mechanism might be easier.

I am still learning to use Inkscape.

I export an SVG from Blender open that directly and then do any scaling or detail tweaks I want before putting it on it's own layer.

I then create a second layer and import my old hull plate texture that I created in PSP when I first started designing models. I scale and tweak the colour for whatever model I am building within PSP prior to importing but unlike the Donnager and Morrigan in which ALL texturing was done in PSP, the hull plate was the only part of the Truman I used PSP for.

I then create 3 or 4 additional layers for everything else, detail, extra wear and tear, text, depth, grebal and then use the tools within Inkscape to add and create detail. Great thing is you can create convincing grebal, plating and other randomness in seconds and then use copy, resize, rotate and change colour, edges and interior all in seconds in Inkscape and it does it all without ANY lose of detail. You can also use layer and transparency settings to change the colour of imported textures, for example the I would import a grey hull plate texture then use a new layer with a blue square set at 70% transparency to turn it in to blue hull plating.

I am currently working on this

The top texture is my PSP created hull plate imported in to Inkscape. The bottom ones are Inkscape created versions. They comprise three layers to make up the image. A base colour layer, a dirt layer with a random opaque effect on it and a depth layer.

It actually gives a better sense of plates with depth and better still it allows for random generation of plating effects. Copy a section across, paste it, select four or five plates and then rotate or flip and you can get rid of the wallpaper effect that using a single texture set gives (like my old hull texture did) The additional fact is it means everything is done in Inkscape as well.

I am currently updating my Morrigan textures as I was never 100% happy with them I am not sure weather to go with the new Inkscape effects or stick with my old PSP textures and use Inkscape to improve on detail, as I did with the Truman.

Lol of course I need to get my monitor and printer colour calibrated first as it really has been a bit screwy since I built my new computer.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Thanks for the link. Sadly for me, my iPad turns some of the files into a couple of hundred pages of code and when I click on the Blender stuff, I get a "File type not supported" message or something like that.

I guess I'll have to wait for a more iPad-friendly format, and when I can go out and buy cardstock (the page count exceeds what I have in stock) and have access to a printer. Oh well.

Looks like a nice model, though. Thanks again for working on it and offering it.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 440.44 MB
Hi,

thank you for releasing the Truman-Class!
Your change of your software-set was a good choice!
The first look on the files and your finished model is very promising.

Cheers

Wiwo
Old 04-08-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Thanks for the link. Sadly for me, my iPad turns some of the files into a couple of hundred pages of code and when I click on the Blender stuff, I get a "File type not supported" message or something like that.

I guess I'll have to wait for a more iPad-friendly format, and when I can go out and buy cardstock (the page count exceeds what I have in stock) and have access to a printer. Oh well.

Looks like a nice model, though. Thanks again for working on it and offering it.

Easy enough to convert them to PDF for you and unload them, of course you won't be able to tweak or edit them... at least I assume you won't. Not sure why the Blender file isn't working. What software are you using to try and open it?
Google Adsense