PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 04-21-2020, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
Thanks!
I just printed it out today. Your size was a bit too big for my VERY limited display space so I decided to scale it down to 80% the original size. Then I sort of shuffled the parts into a set of A3 pages (I don't print them myself, I send to a local print shop) and brought the total number of pages I needed to print to 17, not including the formers. If anybody's interested I can post the file or send it to you Cheezy.
I'd sure as heck be interested. Thanks. I was going to shrink it when I built it anyway and, like you, I have to go to a print shop. All my cardstock is A4, if that makes any difference.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Thanks!
I just printed it out today. Your size was a bit too big for my VERY limited display space so I decided to scale it down to 80% the original size. Then I sort of shuffled the parts into a set of A3 pages (I don't print them myself, I send to a local print shop) and brought the total number of pages I needed to print to 17, not including the formers. If anybody's interested I can post the file or send it to you Cheezy.

Yeah the scale was set to be the same size as my Roci with railguns, Donnager and Morigan models.

By all means feel free to post the resized pages.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
I uploaded it to my drive.
Exterior parts on A3 -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1na...ZBX2gk_CFlQY_-

and the formers, on A4, since I had those printed myself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sw...tTHPd8a25G5w6M

It's going to be a while until I get to build it though. I started on some other, simpler model to get my building skills back on track after a long hiatus.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Exterior parts on A3 -

It's going to be a while until I get to build it though. I started on some other, simpler model to get my building skills back on track after a long hiatus.
Thanks! Looks good....
Old 04-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Exterior parts on A3 -

Awesome.

Anyone building this that has questions I'll try and answer them best I can.
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2020, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
Awesome.

Anyone building this that has questions I'll try and answer them best I can.

I'm examining the Blender file - Truman 8.blend, which I assume is the latest - and trying to match the formers/struts in the pattern files to the 3D model.

I found a discrepancy comparing Mainbody 1.2 middle from the pattern to Plane.007 in the blend file - in the 3D model it seems to be much longer.

Is this a problem with the pattern or the model?
Attached Thumbnails
UN Truman Class Battleship The Expanse-plane.007.jpg   UN Truman Class Battleship The Expanse-mainbody12middle.jpg  
Old 05-12-2020, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
Good Eye, Michael.
I noticed this as well while redrawing and consolidating parts to fit on letter sized pages. My solution was to simply lengthen the Center Core Tab to the end of the page. That way the central tab will now reach about 2/3 of the way through Main Body 5. Keep in mind, I’m adjusting for 1mm former thickness.
For MB 6 I put a small tab extension on the top of part 6.4 and drew a matching slot in the MB 6.1 front former for a more secure glue point.

CW,
Another question I have is about the Center Core Slots in the MB 2 through MB 4 formers. The slots on these formers are 7.14 mm wider (the width of MB 2 Alignment Guide) than the slots in formers MB 5.1 through 5.4.
Is this to allow for extra side to side play in the MB 2, 3 & 4 sections?

I’m thinking I could keep all the former slots the same width as the smaller MB 5 former slots and reduce the Alignment Guide width to the same. Thoughts? -J
Attached Thumbnails
UN Truman Class Battleship The Expanse-former-constr.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I'm examining the Blender file - Truman 8.blend, which I assume is the latest - and trying to match the formers/struts in the pattern files to the 3D model.

I found a discrepancy comparing Mainbody 1.2 middle from the pattern to Plane.007 in the blend file - in the 3D model it seems to be much longer.

Is this a problem with the pattern or the model?

It's a left over from the very early design of the model. I left that section over long as it was going to be used to help align and centre of all the rear sections of model. As I was building the model I found it easier just to cut that off and use it as a separate tool to help align the rear parts.

Quote:
Another question I have is about the Center Core Slots in the MB 2 through MB 4 formers. The slots on these formers are 7.14 mm wider (the width of MB 2 Alignment Guide) than the slots in formers MB 5.1 through 5.4.
Is this to allow for extra side to side play in the MB 2, 3 & 4 sections?

Short answer yes it is to give a tad of wiggle room when building the model. Long answer is to do with the design of the model.

I designed the model in two or three sessions of a day or two. Now the front sections of the model all worked fairly well during texture and build so remained pretty much unchanged throughout. The rear sections though ended up going through several redesigns each time they required a redesign of the internal formers so I opted to add some wiggle room in to the aligning guides.

Their is no issue with setting the aligning guides to the same width if you wish.