PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
Hmmm... I guess I am confused then. Is a person's experience with a build less impressive or important to someone who just joined the forum? If we are not to comment and "ressurect" a thread, then it should be locked to new comments. I also don't like the insinuation that I am using some sort of "tactic" to do whatever you might think I am trying to do.
I'll overlook the rightoeus indignation and just say this, as with other forums, when you see new members come in a ressurect a three year old thread, the longer term members often wonder, especially if there have been no updates, for years. There's no need to lock these old threads as they still hold pertinant data, photos, etc.. With regards to tactics.... When you see new members come in with only three, or four posts and they start off with a long dead thread, it's usually the same type of thing that has happened on other forums, where they are either trying to get links to downloads to out of print models, or models that have been pulled by their original authors as well as other reasons to try and bump old threads. On some forums you can get a warning for something as simple as bumping dead threads. I'm not a mod here, or anything, but I have seen this type of thing happen over and over, people come in with multiple user names and bump old threads for no other reason, but to knock down others work. As Cmags said "This thread is three years old." Sure, we all appreicate good work and even peruse some of the previous work of others. I myself have been guilty of finding old threads that are of interest and asking questions, or bumping them up due to the interesting nature of the content there in, let's just say that I didn't do it in my first post, of two. New members to an established forum often fins fascinating and intersting topics they haven't seen in other places.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
I'll overlook the rightoeus indignation and just say this, as with other forums, when you see new members come in a ressurect a three year old thread, the longer term members often wonder, especially if there have been no updates, for years. There's no need to lock these old threads as they still hold pertinant data, photos, etc.. With regards to tactics.... When you see new members come in with only three, or four posts and they start off with a long dead thread, it's usually the same type of thing that has happened on other forums, where they are either trying to get links to downloads to out of print models, or models that have been pulled by their original authors as well as other reasons to try and bump old threads. On some forums you can get a warning for something as simple as bumping dead threads. I'm not a mod here, or anything, but I have seen this type of thing happen over and over, people come in with multiple user names and bump old threads for no other reason, but to knock down others work. As Cmags said "This thread is three years old." Sure, we all appreicate good work and even peruse some of the previous work of others. I myself have been guilty of finding old threads that are of interest and asking questions, or bumping them up due to the interesting nature of the content there in, let's just say that I didn't do it in my first post, of two. New members to an established forum often fins fascinating and intersting topics they haven't seen in other places.
Well, I suppose that's one opinion. Is there anything to back it up?
After searching the net, this thread might have been what pulled him in here. Seems natural to post to it. And I thought we like to get new members.
I originally started a thread in July 09 for kooklits U-Boat Type VII C build. Then I let it go for over a year. Should I not have recently resurrected that? Should no one ever have posted to that thread even though it was old?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Well, I suppose that's one opinion. Is there anything to back it up?
After searching the net, this thread might have been what pulled him in here. Seems natural to post to it. And I thought we like to get new members.
I originally started a thread in July 09 for kooklits U-Boat Type VII C build. Then I let it go for over a year. Should I not have recently resurrected that? Should no one ever have posted to that thread even though it was old?
1) What would you propose to back it up? Shall I go through the members list and see how many low posting members have ressurected new threads, just to disappear, or change their names and come in again? You've been around long enough, I'm sure you know of what I speak?

2) I'm all about new members, that's exactly why I post links over here from my facebook account and submit links to my friends and encourage them to join up, which several have.....

3) Usually, but not always, the number of replies are directly related to, or indirectly related to the level of interest that the subject material garners.

4) If you've done recent work on an old model I don't see any reason not to update the thread. I'd like to see a link to the U-Boat thread, I'm always interested in that type of thing.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hi David! Let me start by apologizing for my comment to Spaceagent-9 having been taken the wrong way and redirected as a criticism towards you. I was simply joking with Jim, who is now a veteran member here, that he hadn't noticed the age of the thread and thought Josh (Sidewinder) had just given us another new great build. Anyway...

Quote:
CMags... I also followed your NX01 build... it's fantastic! I have not even attempted one without tabs! Do you know if Paragon wrapped up your modifications in his download?
I just downloaded the NX01 and the season 5 version from James' site (Paragon) but see that my updates were not put into the files. PM me your email address and I'll see if I can get a hold of James to approve sending you the updated version directly.

Quote:
Hmmm... I guess I am confused then. Is a person's experience with a build less impressive or important to someone who just joined the forum? If we are not to comment and "ressurect" a thread, then it should be locked to new comments. I also don't like the insinuation that I am using some sort of "tactic" to do whatever you might think I am trying to do.
As a moderator on this forum, I can put to rest the question and say "Yes, definitely bump up old topics if you have questions or comments." Not only is this better than making a duplicate thread on a topic that had been discussed in the past, it also revives the thread for folks to see who may not have seen it when it was new, or have not found it in a search. It also proves that you used the search feature like a good newbie.

Back onto your original question - no, I do not believe Josh used metallic paper. The model just has a good texture that approximates the reflective metallic nature of the ship. However, if you want to experiment with metallic paper, check out this recent topic on metallic papers: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/f...available.html
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Hey guys,

A public thanks for all the public/private replies on this subject. I guess the main point here was concern over hijacking an old thread needlessly to just up my posting count... not really what I am up to here. I was just basically interested in asking if it was metallic paper and saw cmags post... who I really respect. To show my true interest, I am now heading over an attempting to open a new thread with my NX01 build.
Google Adsense