PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.71 MB
BTL Y-WING Paper Model

I chose to model the Y-wing as I like the shape of the ship, noticed that there were very few paper models done of this craft and felt it would be a good challenge!

The model started with myself gathering image references from around the internet to gauge the complexity of the design, look at design ideas and how it would transition into the real world with card/paper. Top, side, front and back profiles were then placed onto planes in my 3D software which allowed me to start modelling the basic shapes. Once I was happy with these shapes it was a matter of adding detail, and then more detail and then some more until I was happy. I had to be aware when modelling that smaller detail below 2mm would be problematic trying to create them in card/paper. I made the decision early that the bent pipes would be impossible to create in paper so would add this detail near the end using plastic rods.

Once I was happy with the model I grouped the sections together to make it easier to apply the texture and to build, applied a UV Unwrap modifier, flattened the shapes and then started skinning in PS. I find its a good idea to have the modelling software open to render as I make changes to the painted sections, it allows you to see how your design is taking shape in the 3D world.

The following renders were from the finished model in the 3D software.

I then printed on 230GSM card stock, scoring the folds and using glue to pull it all together. (UHU and liquid super glue). The tubes at the end used XF-80 light grey as a base and then XF-66 and XF-72 with a light brush to give a little bit of detail.

The model is 1/55 scale as I wanted to match a previous build that I had made.
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2020, 01:46 AM

Sorry about this just can not find the edit button to change the images
Old 10-19-2020, 02:19 AM

I have added the images as attachments so hopefully everyone should see them as I could not find the edit button and the img tags did not seem to work on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
BTL Y-WING Paper Model-50266265666_2c38fc8f1b_c.jpg   BTL Y-WING Paper Model-50238834452_973c18bf72_c.jpg   BTL Y-WING Paper Model-50266265786_d8c794f084_c.jpg  
Old 10-19-2020, 06:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks for sharing. You may be having growing pains. A lot of the forum functionality doesn't kick in until you have ten posts. I usually use Attachment to post images anyway. It just seems easier
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Whoa this is very nice. I like the amount of detail on this, and would love to see more of your builds. Is the weathering a combination of printed and painted details?
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Whoa this is very nice. I like the amount of detail on this, and would love to see more of your builds. Is the weathering a combination of printed and painted details?

Thank you, all the weathering is done in Photoshop except the bent pipes.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
That looks awesome, one of the best Y-Wing paper models I have ever seen! Do you plan to release the model?
Old 10-20-2020, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
That is incredible! Very nice craftsmanship!
Old 10-21-2020, 12:10 AM

Thank you for all the kind comments it’s my first self built from scratch model as I have used kits previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
That looks awesome, one of the best Y-Wing paper models I have ever seen! Do you plan to release the model?
Happy to share the PDF files that I used to create it, I may tweak them and they do need extra work as you build them to make the parts fit well.

I will share my current project over the next week which is a T-47 Airspeeder which I am building using the same process, I have just finished it in my 3D programme and its skinned in Photoshop so I am in the process of exporting it to Pepakura.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice work! If you need any help with references on y-wing or snowspeeder, feel free to PM me.
Google Adsense

Tags
papermodel, starwars, y-wing