PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-05-2020, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Making a replica of one of the most beloved vehicles can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.

A blessing because the vehicle is very well-documented. There is barely one area that is not covered. You have a LOT of references available.

And a curse because ... yep, you've guessed it : the vehicle is very well-documented. There is barely one area that is not covered. You have a LOT of references available. Meaning, if there is a certain detail it must (and can and should) be covered..!

Sometimes my Viper drove me crazy because of that but in the end I managed to get her done. The most difficult thing was to keep the lines straight on the curved parts. She is in 1/48 scale, larger ones are in the making.
Attached Thumbnails
ATAT Star Wars Paper Model Build Thread-dscf6276.jpg   ATAT Star Wars Paper Model Build Thread-dscf6395a.jpg   ATAT Star Wars Paper Model Build Thread-dscf6417.jpg   ATAT Star Wars Paper Model Build Thread-dscf6424a.jpg   ATAT Star Wars Paper Model Build Thread-dscf6420a.jpg  

Old 12-05-2020, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Beautiful work! I also like how you photographed the finished model.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
A desire for accuracy is praiseworthy. At least on Star Wars, not every filming miniature was done exactly the same way, and they weren't well-painted or detailed, even by current amateur standards. They needed to be done fast, for not too much money. I attended a lecture a couple years ago by a semi-pro modeler who had moved heaven and earth just to find an original or first-generation copy of an X-wing nose to get the exact shape right. The "documentation," by and for fans, may not embrace the full reality of these filming props. I hope this documentation does not weigh too heavily on your efforts in producing these fine models. I'm reminded of the first Smithsonian restoration of the full size Star Trek Enterprise filming model. There's a photo of the prop, and next to it is a pile of dirty rags. They had meticulously scrubbed all of the weathering off the paint job, which was only restored by a better restoration a few years ago.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
Making a replica of one of the most beloved vehicles can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelant View Post
A desire for accuracy is praiseworthy. At least on Star Wars, not every filming miniature was done exactly the same way, and they weren't well-painted or detailed, even by current amateur standards. They needed to be done fast, for not too much money. I attended a lecture a couple years ago by a semi-pro modeler who had moved heaven and earth just to find an original or first-generation copy of an X-wing nose to get the exact shape right. The "documentation," by and for fans, may not embrace the full reality of these filming props. I hope this documentation does not weigh too heavily on your efforts in producing these fine models. I'm reminded of the first Smithsonian restoration of the full size Star Trek Enterprise filming model. There's a photo of the prop, and next to it is a pile of dirty rags. They had meticulously scrubbed all of the weathering off the paint job, which was only restored by a better restoration a few years ago.
Very true, I think my aim is to get it as close as possible, I am very lucky as I found plenty of image references but as I found when modelling the Y-wing others add their creative license so it becomes hard to find original image references. I think I have enough though which is great

Nice Viper BTW Revell-Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campeon1977 View Post
Wow! what good news!
I want to see that design now!
I have a collection of paper dolls from star wars lego version, and I think that design could be perfectly added to a diorama with my soldiers!
congratulations on the project, and thanks for sharing !!!
I will aim to share, not sure when this will be finished but it will

Thank you for all your support everyone and I can see this will be a labour of love!

Happy modeling!
Old 12-06-2020, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijj2001 View Post
Very true, I think my aim is to get it as close as possible, I am very lucky as I found plenty of image references but as I found when modelling the Y-wing others add their creative license so it becomes hard to find original image references. I think I have enough though which is great
Your Y-Wing is by far the best-looking Y-Wing paper model out there at the moment. It is one of the most complex miniatures ever created for filming. You did a wonderful job to translate the "busyness" of the components into paper and I cannot stress enough what a great gift it was to share the pattern with us. I have no doubt that this AT-AT will be another homerun.

Nevertheless, there is one major advantage with Star Wars (and BSG and Buck Rogers) models in general: You can disguise any crooked detail, dent and misprint as battle damage. :-D
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2020, 05:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
Nevertheless, there is one major advantage with Star Wars (and BSG and Buck Rogers) models in general: You can disguise any crooked detail, dent and misprint as battle damage. :-D
There can be days where that advantage is more valuable than ... well, everything.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:33 PM

A bit more completed today before the working week starts!

Have a good week everyone!
Old 12-08-2020, 01:15 AM

A bit more detail on the legs and engine sections..

Old 12-20-2020, 04:15 PM

A few more from the building side in 3ds Max, its been fun! I have also started building the 2 Snow Speeders to go with this so will share when they are done too in this thread.

Hope you liked the update
Old 12-20-2020, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.13 GB
Looks great! Can't wait to see it built!
Google Adsense