PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 12-20-2020, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
This looks awesome!

Just a note: Right now I'm building Shunichi Makino's AT-AT. The legs are articulated using a combination of discs. I found this to be unstable. They are handy to create a nice striding pose but I ended up glueing together some joints to prevent the model from toppling over. The most critical ones are the shoulder and the ankle joints. The knees and feet move and keep their position very well though. If you plan to add articulation to your model I recommend to come up with a more stable solution, especially since your model will be almost twice the size of Shunichi's.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
This looks awesome!

Just a note: Right now I'm building Shunichi Makino's AT-AT. The legs are articulated using a combination of discs. I found this to be unstable. They are handy to create a nice striding pose but I ended up glueing together some joints to prevent the model from toppling over. The most critical ones are the shoulder and the ankle joints. The knees and feet move and keep their position very well though. If you plan to add articulation to your model I recommend to come up with a more stable solution, especially since your model will be almost twice the size of Shunichi's.
Fab stuff, thank you for the heads up.

I have designed it to allow 3.2mm evergreen rods as axel joints which should allow for it to be put in what ever position needed and then fixed in place if required.

It took a bit of going backward and forward whilst I figured out how to do the joints so hopefully it should work in the real world.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Can't wait too see the translation from digital to paper model.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijj2001 View Post
I have designed it to allow 3.2mm evergreen rods as axel joints which should allow for it to be put in what ever position needed and then fixed in place if required.
I think that's the best way to go. A stopper solution could work, too, but that would require additional holes which might compromise the overall appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijj2001 View Post
It took a bit of going backward and forward whilst I figured out how to do the joints so hopefully it should work in the real world.
I learned much from Julius Perdana's Iron Man to create working joints:
Iron Man Mark VII Paper Model Part 1

He has a very ingenious way of making extremely secure connections: He makes a hole in one part, pushs a tube through it and then folds down the flaps at the end of the tubes and glues them to the back side of the part that has the hole in it. It requires some careful designing but these connections are super tight (= rock-solid stable ). I replicated the technique on Crichton and used it ever since:
Buck Rogers Thunderfighter - Modellbaubogen
Old 12-21-2020, 01:45 PM

Thank you guys, glad you are enjoying the updates

Had the whole day today modelling some detail so please see some finished renders of the body section, I will probably leave it a few days now !

I had to import my previously Snowspeeders at scale to see what it looked like really pleased...

Google Adsense
Old 12-21-2020, 05:54 PM

Very cool!
Old 12-29-2020, 03:53 AM

I have now finished the main modelling in 3D.

Some sections were a little taxing to create in the 3D environment but overall I am pleased with it.

A couple more stages to go over the next few weeks/months
  1. Refine the shapes and reduce vertices
  2. Assign the pivot points for the leg joints
  3. UV Map the shapes*
  4. Texture the shapes in Photoshop
  5. Unfold the model in Pepakura
  6. Tweak the unfolded parts in Photoshop before printing
  7. And finally make the model

Some images of the model, as you can see its come a long way since the first post.*

Hope you enjoy the update
Old 12-29-2020, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
This is an amazing model!
I also built the one from Shunichi Makino's AT-AT. I found the leg articulations were good, it's just difficult getting a stable pose.
But since I prefer going big, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.
I also started UHU02's AT-ST, but never finished it. so far the only UHU02 model I've finished was the Millennium Falcon cockpit, which I re-scaled to Kenner action figures.

I was working on scaling an X-Wing to the same size, but never got past the cockpit to check the scale.

Keep up the amazing work!
Old 12-29-2020, 11:55 AM

This looks awesome! I can't wait to see the first textured pieces.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:27 PM

Thank you guys

Managed to make a good start with the textures for the 3d model and have been dying to share the progress *(around 30 hrs of work so far on the detail*)

As you can see I have been concentrating on the main body sections.

Hope you like the short update. Stay safe and stay modelling!
Google Adsense