PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
During waiting for engine, is there a chance to get printable files of main hull?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunarispace View Post
During waiting for engine, is there a chance to get printable files of main hull?

Sure, just be aware that I am prototyping this just now due to the odd shape and design of the vessel, so it is prone to significant design changes as parts get built. Saying that the model is far enough along now that I don;t think it will require any big style design changes to the main body parts. Then again I am still not sure how I the engine bell is going to work out.

Also be aware that due to the textures being used on this model some of the files are pretty large and may take a while to open in Inkscpae depending on your computer.

Amunra - Google Drive
Old 03-02-2021, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.32 MB
Thanks! I'm curious how it will be to build it from some PVC sheets
Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM

I included the current Blender model as well. It's a bit of a mess with loads of reworked and defunct hidden parts and no stand. I'll of course tidy up the final release model but it's there if it helps with the structure of the model and how parts are fit together.

I am intrigued to see how a plastic version would turn out.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:08 PM

One of the antenna arrays done now. The pics are the finished version, the backside of this part or the side you are never meant to see and the give away on how all the bits come together and finally with it partially in place on the side of the vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra18.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra19.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra20.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 PM

Just a little update for today, so I've been thinking about the PDCs and to be honest I am not really happy with the current design. They don;t look right and are too much of a faff to build with the result being that they don;t look that great.

So I jumped back to Blender and some reference images to come up with something a bit better. The new version is in front with the old version behind.

The new version is a bit bigger, more detailed and will hopefully result in a better finished design

A quick look at the exports suggest that they should be a bit easier to build as well so a win win.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra21.jpg  
Old 03-06-2021, 04:19 PM

Another quick update.

Built some of the new design PDCs. Old PDC design on the right new version on the left.

Built the right hand side antenna array and attached it to the front

Also built the stands for the model and took a few round the model pictures

Time to move on to the engine bell and rear of the ship.

I've also been rewatching The Expanse on Amazon Prime and have been capturing some high res images of the ship. The my plan is to finish this version of the model and then try and do a version with textures that are more closely matched to the that of the show. My only concern is that they may be too dark to print out cleanly but I'll see what's what closer to the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra22.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra23.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra24.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra25.jpg  
Old 03-12-2021, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I love the show and so far this is a good story of progress. Nice
Old 03-16-2021, 04:33 PM

Well today is quite the day, not only did I receive my first dose of the Covid vaccine but I also finished the prototyping the Amun Ra class stealth frigate.

Remember this is a proto-type, a proof of concept to see if this very odly shape vessel could be built out of paper. The answer is yes but I've learned quite a few things during this build. So here's some thoughts for the follow up and 'final' design.

- Redesign of the main hull. The core structure that all the bits of the vessel hang off of. The idea is to help with support and alignment of the parts.

- Tweaks to the shape and design of the 'pods' (these are the main bits that give the vessel it's odd shape. Again this is to help with build, alignment and strength of the vessel.

- Implement internal support parts for the 'pods' purely to give the final design more support and it should help with shaping the parts as well.

- Sort the back end of the vessel to allow better implementation of the engine bell and the bits of ship structure around it. I had to do some serious post export modding to get all the bits to line up I want to sort that.

- Come up with some way of implementing the breach pods with a bit more detail. (could be a challenge)

- I am looking at doing something with the textures. I've been rewatching the show and have managed to capture some high res shots of the vessel which should allow me come up with textures that more closely match the show.

If anyone is interested I can fire up the complete file set for the prototype version show here.
Attached Thumbnails
Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra30.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra31.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra32.jpg   Protogen Amun Ra - Stealth Frigate (The Expanse)-ra33.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 05:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 470.61 MB
J,
With the SVGs?
Please Sir and Thank you. -J
Google Adsense