PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
You have to admire how Gary designed the model to replicate the compound curves. That must have required some care on your part, Ron, to ensure all the seams maintained their intregity.

You can have some fun with mounting the model if you find a couple of sections of linoleum or parquet flooring. Place the model on the "floor" next to an old sneaker. How cool is that?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Thanks for the comments!

Thanks all!
I'm taking a break tonight- had to work until 9:00 pm. Then a drive to to hotel and fix dinner (yeah I'm cooking for myself!). A quick dash off report to my supervisor and checking the group then off to bed. Gotta be up at 6:00 am for work.

Taz- great to hear from you! Have you seen all the new cool Gundams? Also check out my thread in the "Other Stuff we do" forum, then "3D Puzzles".

Keds Girl- Yeah, I know the dome on top is not right, but I wanted to build the stock model first to get a feel of how it is built. I can think of a few enhancements that I would like to do. Another would be to cut out the entry door and glue one behind the cutout to give it depth (the door slipd behind the outer surface I think.

Great Idea CD! I "accidentally" lucked out and got a forced perspective shot when I took a picture of the GLCM Man tractor and TEL I designed. The chain link fence is actually about 20 feet away, the model is sitting on a raised concrete slab.
Attached Thumbnails
Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-im000258.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Looking good Ron
I didn't notice the differances in the dome,I guess I should have looked closer at the studio model and not at other peoples models!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Hey Ron, that's an awesome shot!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
That is a cool shot!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM

No problem Gary! Just an observation. It's a VERY WELL designed model nonetheless! I hope to finish it tonight and post pictures before going to bed.

Thanks again,
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Our Gary's designs are always really nice to build, and through him.. who we like to call the MASTER, have managed to re-build our childhood memories and with great delight . The Spindrift is looking absolutely marvelous and look forward to your completion of her. Well built indeed
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Almost done, sorry for the delay

Hi all,
Well, I got back to the room a bit late last night so I wasn't able to finish the build. But I got a lot done on it.

I started building the rear portion of the Spindrift. Looking at the part numbers, I decided again to deviate from the numerical sequence. One way to build the rear section was to glue all of the parts together and then join the 2 sections together. Instead, I glued the "grill" (part 20) to the rear of the cabin.The reason I was to ensure that the "grill" piece remained very flat and did not push in when joining the 2 sections and eliminate any gap between them. You have to be careful to make sure you line up the cabin and grill just right and centered on each other.

I then glued together the 3 parts that make up the rear section (parts 17, 18, and 19) and then joined them together. I did not glue the rear piece (part 16) into place yet because I wanted to find an easy way to join parts 17, 18, and 19 to the cabin/grill.

Best Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2922.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2923.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2924.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2925.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2926.jpg  

Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2928.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Joining the rear to the cabin

Ok, I hoped to not have a lot of trouble here, but I did. You have to make sure the parts are lined up just right or you will have problems getting the grill into place. You can see from the first picture that I marked the center of the top and bottom on the rear of the grill. I also marked the inside of the rear section.

In the second picture, I started joining the tabs from the gril to the inside of the rear section. I started with the 2 tabs in the top center and after ensuring things were lined up as best I could, I let this dry before continuing. Then I joined the 2 tabs in the center bottom. This formed the foundation for alignment and joining. I had to let these dry a bit too. Then working one tab at a time from each side, alternating between the two sides, completed the join.

You can see that the left side (viewed from the front), worked out perfectly. The right side did not do so well because I didn't get the 2 sections joined exactly in the center. I had to really fudge the right side to get the grill tucked in without distorting the rear section.

I have a suggestion for this area Gary. Remove the tabs from part 20 (the grill) and put the tabs instead on the joining edge of part 19 (the forward rear section). Then you won't have to try to tuck the tabs inside to join but can instead glue the grill onto flat tabs of the rear section.

Best Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2929.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2931.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2933.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2934.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2935.jpg  

Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2936.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Almost done!

The hard parts are over!

I glued the end piece (part 16) to the aft end of the rear section. I only needed 12 fingers this time to clamp and form and keep fingers with glue from touching the exterior and wipe away excess glue and close areas that kept trying to open. But it turned out ok.

I had to think about the vertical fin for a bit to decide the best way to cut it out and ensure that both sides perfectly matched each other. I decided to glue it together first and then cut it out after it was dry. I scored and folded along the center line across the top of the fin. I had to be very careful to get this scored just right. I then cut it out and glued the inside edges together, praying that I got it right. I went to sleep with this clamped tightly together under the weight of 3 phone books, 2 reams of cardstock, and anything else I could find to add weight to help ensure it stays completly flat while it dried. I would have used rubber cement if I were at home, but I'm not.

I knew I had to avoid putting glue all over the inside joining surface of the fin to avoid smearing glue all over the model when putting it in place. I applied glue only to the inside area that joins to the aft piece. Then after ensuring it was positioned right, held it in place until the glue set. Then I place a very small bead of glue to the top of the rear section where Gary has a thin line drawn to show where the fin joins. Then I positioned and held the top of the fin until the glue set and repeated for the bottom.

Here are pictures of how the Spindrift appears now and I must say, I am very happy with things so far. Unfortunately, I will not have time to finish it this week as I have to make a report Thursday night and pack and get ready to go home Friday night. I'll have to finish it up next week when I'm home.

I'll post updates as I get them done. Just a few more fiddly bits!

Best Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2937.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2932.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2938.jpg   Build report- Spindrift by Gary Pilsworth-dscf2939.jpg  
Google Adsense