PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
FlareBaffled's 40K Imperial Guard Baneblade

I've had the printed sheets for this sitting on my shelf for about 5 months now, but I got the bug to build it this week. Thus far it is has been a brilliant build, no instructions, but with the .pdo file instructions would really be just a bonus. I got it off of Zealot, for those curious where to find it.

The original files were sized for A4, so I first had to go to the trouble of rearranging a fair bit (bloody stupid NA standard letter), but the print went smoothly (aside from a few error-prints on paper instead of cardstock). As of this writing I'm only about 1/3 done the build; and I'm preparing myself for the tedium of the wheels and track.

Overall the design is slick, textured throughout with layering panels for extra dimensioning. You can see some of that in the pics, although it is a fairly subtle effect. I'll likely do touch-ups once the whole build is done. From what I can tell, there is lateral rotation on all of the turrets, and potentially the Sponson Bolters, which is gravy.

Enjoy!
Sean
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 AM

So, 10 hours of cutting and gluing later, I now have two 25 cm track strips. I have no idea if I put them together 'correctly' for there is fair amount of white space visible on the upper side, but as I was planning to edge the white parts anyway, it is no big deal for me. While I had a bit of a stalled start, changing my method for assembly shortly after starting; I present shots my assembly process below for anyone interested in building one of these who might be stuck on the tracks.

Now onto the wheels...
Sean
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 890.46 MB
OMG ! Hot project. I really like the way the treads will work. -AndrewO, in San Jose, CA
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.96 MB
Wouldn't the majority of the white paper showing be eliminated by using black card to make the strips?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Amazing detail!
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 PM

The detailing in this model is absolutely stunning. The parts I've build thus far really don't do the detail justice, most of which are found in the turrets and 'extra' greeble.

I agree, if I'd cut the middle support parts out of black paper it would have hidden much of it, although I merely followed the directions. I have to edge anyway, so a bit of extra black paint won't be too much trouble.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Awesome ! I was just released from the hospital when Flare finished developing this, and out of the kindness of his heart, he sent me a copy (which I still haven't finished). It looks fantastic!

As for the white, I've found it's easier to color the white sides before I cut the [arts out, then all I have to color is the edges. That way you can safely get away with using a magnum-sized marker, or even possibly spray paint.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very good detail. Nice model.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM

I never really edged many models but the few I attempted with marker failed horribly (bleed through on the back-side). I regularly paint miniatures, so I find the process easily transferable with a tiny brush, and the paints are more easily directed. Thick enough too that it doesn't bleed too badly. I like building so much (and I am terribly impatient) so edging last gets me the model, and if I'm happy with it, I can then 'finish' it at my leisure.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
You've a lot of patient at least to cut. Congrats for your threads they look great.
Google Adsense