PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
The wife and I are spending a couple of weeks with our younger daughter & s-i-l down in Alabama at this time, and we've been watching the series via Netflix/Wii. We're all really enjoying it. One of those rare TV gems that came and went before a lot of people even knew it was on. I know there are already a couple of smaller Firefly models out there, but this one in 1/72 will be amazing when completed. Many thanks for your efforts, Mirco!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Hmmm, Kaylee, umuhh, I meant Donuts, nah, I meant Kaylee!!

MMMMmmmmmmmm . . . yummy!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hmm, nice .

The "neck" is finished, just some detailing remains:

Now I'm struggling with the cockpit - the top "ridge" needs to be a little bit rounder, especially at the front. And the sides need some cleaning. And the interior needs a lot of fitting. And the airlock definitely needs a removable escape pod inside .
Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.71 MB
Did they ever show what the escape pods looked like? I can't remember them ever using them.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 AM

No, they can only be seen in the blueprints. In the PDF preview, the authors even wrote "Did Mal know there is another escape pod right under the bridge?" ). The pods are small orange one-person cocoons, rather simple shape.

As for progress for this week, I've done something more in the cockpit. Not yet showable though.
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Heh, I bet they're missing some parts due to cannibalism.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 AM

Admit it, you've always wanted to take a seat here and hope Wash lends you the controls for a while

Some more fit problems encountered. Maybe I'll raise the floor a bit (a big bit, almost a byte ), so the pilots get better view and could reach all those switches on the ceiling...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Or at least survey the land that he called..this land,this just keeps looking better and better all the time.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:45 AM

A month without a touch on this... where is that blushing smiley?
On Saturday, I finally got back to it and finished the bridge. You know why nothing seemed to fit? Because the filming set had the front window much less sloped than the CGI model has. That's why the grating could stretch all the way to the front and why they could put another floor level under it. Once I realized this, three options appeared:
1) Put the bridge floor rather low, so the gratings could be flush with it and wouldn't stick out into the window. In this case, there wouldn't be enough space underneath for the additional level, bridge ceiling would be about 3 m high and pilot's forward view would be nonexistent.
2) Put the bridge a bit higher, as the official blueprint suggests, and lower overhead part of the ceiling. That would look weird from the outside, pilot's view wouldn't be much better and the grating wouldn't fit under the window sides anyway (the center would be OK; this is the problem of these blueprints: they look perfectly plausible until you add the third dimension).
3) Put it even higher, so the front ortho view fits the series CGI model. This solves the ceiling and forward view problems and provides underfloor space for the airlock, but the gratings must be completely discarded.
n) If you can't tilt the window, tilt the floors . Gravity is artificial and deck-dependent, so why not. Possible, but we all saw the floor is horizontal even when the ship had been sitting powered down on a scrapyard, so this doesn't count as an option.

At the end, I chose option 3 and then everything just fell into place. No screenshot to come, this part is unrenderable (several solids within each other with no chance of transparency, and the wireframe is rather complex).

Next to come in about two weeks: sensor arrays under the nose and detailing of the whole front part. Then some little detailing on the main engine and then... go unfolding! Hooray!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Great things take time...so very pleased that you're still chipping away at it...every little morsel is working waiting for...
Google Adsense