PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.37 MB
I also built the "stabilizer" and have some pics of that, no problems found other than one part labeled wrong. It went together really easy and while the front cross piece is a little off, that's all on me, not the model!
Attached Thumbnails
the Firefly project-stabil3-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-stabil4-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-stabil5-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-stabil2-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-stabil6-640x480-.jpg  

Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 PM

And last, since I posted the "neck" that I'm not happy with I might as well post some of my other failed builds. A few of the lower neck, missed a piece TWICE! The wing and engine aren't really a fail but the engine is mounted wrong so I have to take it apart again. I have pieces of the hard cargo deck all over the place and three or four failed "bee hives" that I don't want anyone to see.

BTW Mirco - The windows for the bridge are awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
the Firefly project-bridgeclose-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-completetests-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-fails-640x480-.jpg   the Firefly project-dsc09816-640x480-.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Shiny! Thanks a lot. It looks much better than you advertised . The top vents and other greebles are especially awesome, good to see they all fit together.

So, let's have a closer look...

The neck top looks less concave at the front than expected, correct shape is actually the rightmost one of the three "failed" necks from your last post. Do you think it would be better with an internal former at that place? Or do the outboard vents collide with the lower side plates, pushing the top surface up?

Nice job on the stabilizer. You have definitely built up some skill if you consider this "really easy" . Of course, the trickiest part will be to glue it around the stern without rubbing on the rotor, but that's not something we need to test now.
OK, let's fix the wrong-labeled part. Which one is it?

I've just returned from a week-long LARP and now I'm in the middle of getting a new job, so there has been no progress on the drawing board. The next week or two look swamped as well. But I'm not giving up, of course .

Thanks again and see you soon!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Yeah, I'm with Mirco on that. The neck(s) look awesome! I don't see the mistakes you are talking about
Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 AM

this model is absolutely gorgeous!!! this is really making me miss the show, good thing for netflix. i can only hope to find it at ecard models one day. keep up the excellent work!!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanks guys. When I took the pictures I kept away from the bad areas but if you look at the one of the side of the neck, you can see where I had trouble getting the airlocks to fit right and how I bent the bottom half. They are minor and if I attached the wing it would look better, but I am always critical of my work.

The mislabeled part is S40, both parts are there but they are both labeled S40P. I'll get back to you about an extra former in the next week or so, I've been doing the same as you, enjoying the short summer. And I should point out, I have no idea why I cut out a hole by the front for the outside vents, I did it twice and didn't realize I shouldn't have until I went to place the vents...

And I guess "really easy" wasn't the best way to say it, everything fit together perfect would be better. For as complex of shapes as they are, both matched perfect and as long as you take your time they will line right up.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Hello all,
Just a quick little update.
Good news: I'm still alive and have a new job since August.
Bad news: absolutely zero progress on Serenity since that date. I still have no CAD-capable computer where I work, and all weekends are consumed by another project which I really need to finish ASAP.

Still no giving up, of course :-).
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
We'll still be here. Congratulations on the new job. What is it you are doing?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Industrial automation. A dream job of every sci-fi nerd: playing with robots, programmable controllers and other cool hardware :-).

And the priority 1 project is a commuting bike that would fit the available parking spaces (no fun wrestling a heavy old tank to a 7th floor balcony every day). Of course I could just buy a folder, but that's sooo boring... and BTW, as long as you boldly weld what no man has tried before, it must be a SF model. And 1:1 is the best scale ever :-).
Old 10-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Have fun my friend. How about some pics, especially of the bike?