PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-WHALE View Post
I know also these length, but i guess it is wrong! I would more agree with the reference size from Ex-astris and with the old AMT/ertl model (i have the plastic model)! The scale of these model is 1/2500 and the diameter is 40cm, which means that the "real" diameter is only approx. 1000 meters! I believe also, that the original model from the series had a diameter of 4 meters!?
So in scale 1/1700 is the diameter of the station only 58,8 cm!
Ah, didn't realize (but should have) that the station is another DS9 piece of hardware that the writers and VFX folks didn't pay attention to scale and consistency. Here's an interesting discussion:

https://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewto...?f=18&t=101573

With the analysis giving a ~500-600m station, the shot of the Enterprise-D docked at the upper pylon requiring a 2km station, and the originally intended 1km station, and the technical manual stating the 1452m, I'll agree to agree on 1km. Makes for a much more reasonable model. I still won't build at 1:1700, but maybe 1:2500...
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds

Last edited by cMags; 05-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM
cModerator

Just so happened to be watching one of my favorite DS9 episodes, Sacrifice of Angels (second part of Favor the Bold) where the Federation re-takes DS9 from the Dominion. At the close, there's a nice shot of the station with an Excelsior class ship docked (as well as the Defiant and a couple other ships patrolling). A quick set of calculations confirms the 1km station measurement (at least in this VFX scene) and will allow for scale matched dioramas.

The Excelsior is approximately 85px wide in this screen shot, with the station's diameter at the same depth from camera approximately 450px giving just over a 5:1 ratio. The saucer diameter of the Excelsior class is accepted as 195m. The math works out to just about 1000m. Close enough for me. My priority is that I'll be able to duplicate that exact scene if I want with this model at 1:1700 and the currently available ships in paper (if I can figure out what that is in the background). No pressure TC! :p

Edit: Rewatching the ending few seconds leads me to believe that the ship in the background is part of the kitbash frankenfleet created from an Intrepid class hull, TMP-era warp nacelles on Marquis raider pylons, all connected by a massive, backwards F-14 fuselage as secondary hull. Pics here: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/03/30/elkins-redux/ Didn't I see someone re-kitbashing this here or on Zealot in paper?

Last edited by cMags; 05-05-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Discovered background ship identity
Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
(if I can figure out what that is in the background).
USS Yeager NCC-65674! But there is no Maqui-fighter model available for a kitbash:(
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
the nacelle pylon on the elkins looks like ones on danube class runabout
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 PM
cModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchale View Post
the nacelle pylon on the elkins looks like ones on danube class runabout
I think you're right Mike, good eye.
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
i am starting on a elkins kitbash useing uss voyager saucer
connie nacelles and a f-14
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM
cModerator

Awesome, can't wait to see it. Start a thread - I'd love to see what kits you're using. Don't forget those runabout pylons.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 PM
cModerator

I take it back, the USS Yeager is not the one kitbashed with the F-14 and TMP nacelles. The Yeager actually was an Intrepid saucer, nacelles, and a Maquis raider secondary hull. Photos here:

Star Trek Auction Listings Archive - Image christies/1778-0495-d47800-d4780059x.jpg

That's definitely what's in the background of the shot above. But the link I found was cool, and Mike's rendition should be fun.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled DS9 station model design thread. :p
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
Just a random interjection: it seems peculiar to me that many ships would bother docking with the station, I really can't think of any particular benefit of the process, considering the existence of transporters. The Defiant I understand, but for ships passing through...

Anyway, I look forward to your build. I was, once upon a time, considering revamping the Ninjatoes design, then building it at 1:1900.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
A point well taken, however, hard-docking is a good option for ships that are totally powered down for repairs, using the station's power as an auxiliary source as well as providing a stationary platform for larger work like replacing hull sections, etc.
Google Adsense