PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.24 MB
Just another Prime Example ....

Hello folks .....

My attempt to build Optimus Prime ...

I'm using photo paper for the whole build ,not a lot to say really,its going together well with a few minor issues on parts (missing fold lines e.t.c),i started with the torso ,part 2a,then went to 2b/2c,ive now paused on 2c to work on the head ......

okies ive heard a bit about how many pages this thing uses and the cost e.t.c so here is my take on it.....

I'm unemployed so can't afford to spend a lot of money on what the missis calls "a waste of money" depending on her mood lol ...so approx 250 pages of photo paper..no big deal ,where i live i can get 15 sheets for £1 from yes you guessed it the £1 store ! i bought 5 packs 2 weeks ago and have just bought another 5 packs..and in 2 weeks time i will get some more ,so it spreads the cost a bit for me ... as far as printing goes i use large capacity refillable cartridges in my printer ,so ink is not really an issue ...

anyways enough waffle from me ..hope it all looks good on the pics i took with my old crappy camera ...

laters...
Attached Thumbnails
Just another Prime Example ....-pict0001.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0002.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0003.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0004.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0005.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
That looks awesome dude!!...nice to see this thing come to life.

But hey, I have a request...next time you post some pics...put us a "real world" item in there for reference...hobby knife, pencil, ruler, etc. Just anything to get a sense of what the size of this kit is as it grows...I'd love to build one, but I'm a little concerned with the size.

Many thanks, and keep up the great work!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
But hey, I have a request...next time you post some pics...put us a "real world" item in there for reference...hobby knife, pencil, ruler, etc. Just anything to get a sense of what the size of this kit is as it grows...I'd love to build one, but I'm a little concerned with the size.
Well i did think that the 6" kitchen wall tiles might give a small hint to the size , but anyways here ya go ...i dug out my old 50mm scale cube design and knocked that together just to help a little .

laters
Attached Thumbnails
Just another Prime Example ....-pict0006.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0007.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
well.... it ain't gonna be small....
On hold: SS Heart of Gold
Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
I'm in the process of building Optimus Prime as well, I've completed it up to part 2d. I'm getting ready to build part 3 and have parts 4 and 5 as well. This thing will be 1.4m tall when done, that's almost 4ft. I'm using photo paper as well and the problems I've ran into most is that photo paper doesn't like to glue too well. I've hit this blasted model so many times that I keep popping parts off. Photo paper is coated so that the glue doesn't get to soak into the paper, it more or less just sits on the surface. Also because photo paper is almost twice as thick as the paper that it (the model) was designed for, some things are a bit wonky to fit....ie: holes in some of the parts are let's say 1/4in but the part going into it (because of the thickness of photo paper) is 1/8in bigger. I'll post a picture of my build as soon as I can find my blasted camera.

Rusty
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM

I ran into a few problems with the thickness of the paper causing some issues with the build,but not many and I'm using 148g card stock,photo paper is nice for the glossy look but such a pain to glue that I just wont use it anymore.I'm hoping that with part 5 the recommended weight of 200g wont be an issue.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
Well, in my own defense , there are 4", 3", 6", 8", etc tiles....anyhoo, looks like it is a little over 6" wide (the head only?) wow, pretty good size...looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imavingalaughaswell View Post
Well i did think that the 6" kitchen wall tiles might give a small hint to the size , but anyways here ya go ...i dug out my old 50mm scale cube design and knocked that together just to help a little .

laters
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM

yep i'm still building it!

hello folks .. a few more progress pics ...

broke away from doing the torso and went on to the waist part,now completed the waist ,and am now moving onto the legs before going back to the torso and head..

had a few issues with the waist...
where the waist will eventually join to the torso there are to identical hexagon shaped parts the gule on top of each other,i did a small re design of this to make it one part but still the same height as the two together,
Two other parts were in my opinion designed completly wrong,as they did not fit correctly to the ajoining parts...these were also redisigned and the new parts have been sent over to Paper-replika for appproval....

anyways eenogh waffle..a few pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Just another Prime Example ....-pict0008.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0009.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0010.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0011.jpg   Just another Prime Example ....-pict0012.jpg  

Just another Prime Example ....-pict0013.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 PM

Nice clean build you got there,I never could get results like that with photo paper,Great job!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM

i agree with Aven, photopaper spells S-U-C-K in my dictionary, never had success using it, anyways, i anticipate more build pictures from your optimus.

keep it up!
Google Adsense