PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Wonderful work, cmags! The saucer sections went together smooth. Lots of work there with all the tabs.
The nacelles look really great.
Looking forward to more.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
With models like this with no glue tabs, It'd be nice if the designer included some pages of cut outs that can be used to join parts rather than having to improvise.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Models without tabs are normally considered to be a skill level higher than "entry level", and assume that the builder is familiar with creating tabs that work for them. This can be done either the way I have by cutting right against the part and adding internal tabs, or by cutting around the part with a margin and then cutting notches out to create your own tabs as if they had been drawn there. A page of square tabs shouldn't be necessary, it doesn't take more than a few seconds to cut a strip of paper into a bunch of little tabs all at once, then there's a pile to use for the build.

By the way, this model does include a number of parts with tabs, but I opted to cut them off and use internal tabs so that my parts line up at the edges rather than overlapping at the tabs.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
In my opinion, the effort it would take to add tabs (remember, I don't have a program that would add them for me, like Pepakura, I have to draw every individual tab) isn't really justified compared to the minimal effort it would take to create one's own tabs during construction. Besides that, when I design models, I try to squeeze as many parts onto each sheet as possible (uses less paper that way), and tabs take up a lot of extra room. Add to that the fact that including tabs on a part actually makes the model look worse when built, and you get the end result: I don't add tabs anymore, unless they are absolutely necessary for construction (it happens from time to time). In the case of the NX-01, what few tabs are included (on the booms only, I believe) are just holdovers from the kit I used to help create the final model (in this case, Clever's NX-01).

As a fellow hobbyist, and designer interested in seeing his work well explored, I'd be more than happy to help suggest, or teach new techniques, but considering the vast amount of time (seriously, waaay too much) I already spend on this hobby, I'm not at all interested in spending several extra hours per model adding something I find unseemly. Sorry.

Sorry if it seems like that came out of nowhere, but it seems like this kind of request has been increasing a lot recently, as well as what I've interpreted as impatience with the pace at which I release my models. I don't mean to say that I don't appreciate the interest other members show in my work, and in many ways I do feel a strong sense of obligation toward you all in regards to my contributions (I definitely don't want everyone to be dissatisfied with models that only I can construct well), but keep in mind that I am not a business, and these models are not a product. I'm just a guy, with a life outside my hobby, and the same 24 hours per day everyone else gets. I'm more than happy to share my work, and I do try to be accommodating, but in a sense, you're all lucky that I release my models instead of just keeping them to myself (considering some of the more stingy designers out there).
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
And we all appreciate it James!
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
...and the same 24 hours per day everyone else gets....
You get 24 hours in your day? You lucky man you!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.43 MB
Thumbs up

Paragon,
I think I speak for most of the people here when I say that we are all very grateful for the beautiful models you create and share with us - I'm in awe of your abilities to design these things, and the time spent on each project isn't lost on anyone, either. I hope you continue to share these awesome models with us - we're all just excited about every new release... and the stuff you're working on now is astounding! I'm like a kid in a candy store when ever I see your stuff! Thanks again,
Mike Cusanelli
Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.92 MB
Here is another "kudo" on your paper models. I am very grateful for your designs of the Star Trek shuttlecraft. I also admire your skill and design of these smaller craft and this is an area which you have not only excelled but are the only designer with an extensive shipyard of these shuttles.

Thank you for your work and time!

Steve Arlo - "Zero Effect" - 1998
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
James,

After building your revised Steamrunner I really came to like the non-tabs builds. I did it with edge gluing and tabs on the backsides of parts like cmags and it makes for a MUCH cleaner finished piece. The only place I can say I've ever used them on my own designs was the Chaffee model where I added the band between the upper and lower halves of the hull. This area was supposed to be recessed so I used the tabs to set it back deeper into the model.

As for your release schedule, while I am really excited about the new models you have created, I don't think waiting will kill me. I think folks forget that you have a life beyond designing models.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very Nice Design and Awesome build!!! my hats off to you both I am deff a fan of James and appreciate all he does. and Chris you just gave me a few great pointers!!

BEHOLD THE POWER OF PAPER!!!!
Google Adsense