PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Enterprise - NX-01 - a beta build of Paragon's new design in 1:1700

Here we go with Paragon's new NX-01 design, recently revealed in the Legacy ENT thread. I've been re-watching the series and wanted to build an NX class, but Clever's is intimidating, and even more so when thinking about scaling down to 1:1700 (I'm truly impressed at those who have pulled it off). So this couldn't have come at a better time.

I've rescaled the kit from Paragon's normal 1:1900 to 1:1700 (and provided him with the rescaled kit for later release). I'm going to do a pretty detailed build here so as to potentially allow for this thread to serve as instructions. I was warned that the aft primary hull (not that there's much of a secondary hull here) is a little complicated, so there will be some artistic license in this area.

Nacelles

I have lately started with the nacelles on Trek ships, just to get them out of the way. Using a new trick provided by Dr. Laser in the Tips & Tricks forum, I rolled the nacelles leaving a flap on both ends, to be folded in and glued as an I beam to keep a straight tube. It worked *perfectly* - I've never had such an easy time rolling nacelles and keeping them from twisting.

With this trick the nacelle assembly is pretty easy - just a bunch of conics going together. Paragon doesn't include any glue tabs here so add your own or edge-glue. I use both.

The bussard collector and first gray conic section are one part, but I separated them for easier assembly. The tail section is designed to just be a "cup" shape, but I scored and burnished the dark sections inverted to add depth. I like the subtle effect. Beyond this it's just a couple laminated details applied to the surface and we have a pair of nacelles.

Saucer section

Started with the upper side. I cut out all the sections and began adding tabs (lots of 'em). For the rectangular section I had to make some modification in the aft portion. I decided to cut the sides out so that they fit exactly into the open area, leaving an angled sliver of side available so that the rectangular section remains raised above the rest of the saucer consistently. This worked out pretty well I think.

For the lower hull, we basically have a bunch of tabs and rings piled on top of each other carefully. This method of primary hull construction has worked well for me for the past half dozen Trek models. The thick card you see around the edge of the upper section (still to be added to the lower) forms a lip for the edge piece (which I separated from the upper section) to sit in. More on that later. There is a bit of a gap on either side towards the rear where the outer two rings join, but these should be hidden under the twin booms.

That's all for the past couple days. I usually don't get much building done on the weekends, so more to come next week! :D
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
I am soooooo salivating for the chance to build this, i was doing clever's but i kinda got stalled with the saucer and 1 catamaran built lol
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
Very impressive build so far, I especially like the ends of those nacelles, they look great.

Just a heads-up; look out for the booms, especially right between the pylons and saucer.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
this is awsome cant wait to tackle this my self
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Love the detail and build! Great job guys!
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2010, 06:17 PM
cModerator

Yea the booms look like they'll be fun, more of a sculpting job than a fold & glue... :p
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to SEBRET
looks to be a fun build so far
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
Oh and good idea on starting with the nacelles I think I might have to start doing that as well (pointedly glances over at Clevers Enterprise-D STILL one nacelle short of completion)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 AM
cModerator

Yea, I've begun starting with the nacelles, because they're so tedious, and I never have the drive to do two of them at the end of the build (and that's only if one doesn't get b0rked and I have to build a third). So I build 'em first while the build is still new and exciting! :p
Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
cModerator

Saucer Section Complete

This is the bulk of the Enterprise NX-01. The saucer went together pretty smoothly, with only a few "beta blunders" that I have discussed with James. So here we go with some particular sections.

Inner support

I added a bit of inner support to avoid crushing the saucer when closing the upper and lower halves. I should have added a bit more. Take a peek at Ron's TOS Enterprise for ideas. You can also see I added my signature edging ridges for the sides of the hull on the bottom.

First (and biggest) "beta blunder"

After attaching the edges to the upper half of the hull, I dry fit it with the lower half. Immediately I noticed a big gap which didn't seem to be covered by the thin vertical piece.

I discussed with James to confirm I was using the parts correctly, and we determined that a part was missing from the kit. So I designed a filler (and will send the graphic to James for inclusion in the kit). It's amazing how the same printer two days later can produce a part with mismatching colors (cheap inks).

Still I had a bit of a gap, so I printed the vertical piece a second time, doubling its height, and trimming the corners to fit. Not sure if this is a design problem or my build, but if you're reading James, take a peek and let me know.

Satisfied with the dry fit, I secured the hull halves. This will work for me:

Deflector

The main deflector has the blue field incorporated into the edge strips, the dish, and two panels above and below which I nearly missed. Looking at James' build, it looks as if he laminated his on the hull surface, but I opted to cut into the hull to set them in flush and angle them slightly inward as on the "real" ship. Glad I caught this prior to closing the hull.

Bridge and dorsal spine

The bridge went together nicely, with a bit of burnishing against a pink eraser for rounding. The dorsal spine went together just fine as well, with the exception of the observation deck at the aft end. It needed to be modified to sit lower and more forward than designed, and (I think) I can see James did the same on his.

Saucer impulse engines

No problems here.

Saucer section complete

All that's left are the booms, pylons, and symmetrical warp field governor. Oh yea, and the shuttlebay doors which also weren't included in the kit, to be added as a laminated detail.

Thanks for watching! Constructive criticism welcome!
Google Adsense