PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
The Medieval City - take two

Here is the start of my version of 'THE BIG BOOK' (VELKA KNIHA).
And a big book it is, about 4cm thick and all in Czech. My Cz to English dictionary is small, but enough to get started. The diagrams are a big help I have included a photo of a typical page of instructions and diagrams and of the cover of my book. My translation of Mestska Pamatkova Reservace is Town Imaginary Site or in english order Imaginary Town Site. Not being at all a Czech linguist I will accept any corrections.

I remember the ad for the book said the scale is 1:160 but have not found this listed in the book. Things like door sizes and window heights bear this out. Some of the building footprints seem small but selctive compresion is done in model railroading all the time. I think this project would fill a whole room if all were to exact scale.

This will be a long term project for me, maybe a year or two, so those who wish to follow expect spurts of work and then some lean times. I do expect to get to the end of this project (and propably several others in between now and the end).

House No. 1 is still under construction.

George
Attached Thumbnails
The Medieval City - take two-i_towncover.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-diagram-page.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-gate-wall.1.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-gate-wall.2.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-house-no.-1.2.jpg  

The Medieval City - take two-house-no.-1.1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Charming models and well built.

Don
Old 11-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I will be following this one.

The book sounds daunting. =)
Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ditto Stev0. This is one of several large-scale architectural projects that has appeared in the Forum recently and appears to be the largest one of all. I don't do much architectural model building, but have built a few castles and other buildings, and both enjoy seeing these models and respect the skill and diligence required to carry the project through.

Based on your initial photos, you are going to have an impressive and attractive model in the end -- however much of that huge city you decide to build.

Don
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM

Progress and diversions

Here is a picture of the Gate and house No. 1 along with some diversions.
The ferryboat (Lilla Weneda) has her own log here and is nearing completion. The piano (Canon Papercraft) is being done mostly to have some bigger pieces, both the town and the boat have some very tiny parts.

Thanks for watching, this may take a while as 6,000 plus pieces won't go fast and I plan to add street clutter and people. The scale has been listed as 1:140 and 1:160, either way model RR N-scale items will work fine. Looking at the narrow streets I think I will be adding this stuff as I build the buildings.

I also suspect diversions like some of the other 30+ paper models I have or a woodshop project or two will occur now and then just to slow things down.

George
Attached Thumbnails
The Medieval City - take two-lilla_piano_town.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very clean and good looking build so far.
I look forward to riding along on this journey as you craft and post.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very neat - keep it going!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Two more homes

Here are the next two homes (3 & 5) with the previous construction (City gate, wall and home 1). All together these were five pages from the book, now I only have 127 more to go. The plan they are setting on came with the book. The low level photos will become unique because as the town grows other buildings and walls will hide this low level view.

Right now my big debate is do I want to glue the map sheet to the mounting board (3mm plywood) and then glue the individual buildings on top of the map or just copy (carbon paper) the footprints to the board. I am leaning towards using the map sheet as tracing will be tedious and error prone. Once I have the mounting board ready I can start adding people, animals, carts and miscellaneous detrius to bring the town some life.

George
Attached Thumbnails
The Medieval City - take two-town005_01.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-town005_02.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-town005_03.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-town005_04.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
George, man keep up the good work! I loved your other thread and I'm loving this one already...just awesome, immaculate work...great stuff. Hey, how do YOU keep your long edges nice and square...as you might know I pretty much ask this of everyone who does a arch build thread...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 PM

long edges

Taz,

Thanks for the nice words, don't know if long edges mean cutting or folding or gluing. I think gluing is easy so here is cutting and folding.

Long straight cuts are made with a steel straight edge and 3-4 light passes with the knife. Light passes keep me from too much lateral (sideways) pressure and pushing the straight edge out of position.

Long straight folds are made with a scribe and two straight edges. Use the scribe like a knife to create a crease where the fold will go. For best results the crease should be on the inside of the fold. Then use two straight edges like a sheet metal brake and fold. The top straight edge needs to be held firmly in place while sliding the one under the piece being folded inthe fold line and lifting the away side to create the fold.

Here are pictures to help with the folding. The piece is part No.1 of the next assembly, a tower.

Hope this helps,
George
Attached Thumbnails
The Medieval City - take two-tools-folding.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-ready-fold-1.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-fold-1-complete.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-ready-fold-2.jpg   The Medieval City - take two-fold-2-complete.jpg  

Google Adsense