PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim

Well I thought it about time to start another build. It is The Phantom Manor by Rey Keim. Another splendid model that is free.
So here we go with the videos. Sorry about the camera shake. Yes I know I can get rid of it. I need to check to see if I have the camera shake setting turned on - will do that later.
So lets get started

Last edited by rickstef; 12-29-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Changed the model name to The Phantom Manor
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Hey..... This is brilliant matey ! Great to see you back at model building. The effort for the windows is well worth it And yet again i play the videos time and time again - Your voice is very relaxing.... you should have been a Blue Peter Presenter, doing all those Blue Peter Makes - Yes i still watch them on You Tube Look forward to seeing the next instalment
Old 12-25-2010, 02:14 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 1 (b)

Having built the Bates House I was familiar with Rey Keim's wonderful models. I gave it to one of my friends who is into classic movies. Having been away from modeling for a while I decided it time to build another of Rey's fine models and chose The Phantom Manor.

I chose to print out sheet 31 which has the optional windows. If you don't print these out you will just have the flat windows - which look just fine. But I wanted to use these. The only thing to remember here is that if you use the optional windows you need to put the shutters on first.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01465.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01467.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01468.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01469.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01470.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 02:14 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 1 (c)

You need to make mountain and valley folds on the windows so I use this pin to mark the line. Then I can score the line on the opposite side by joining up the dots so to speak. Lastly is that if you are going to go to the trouble of using the optional windows then make sure you hide the dotted orange lines. I use my favourite derwent water colour pencils for this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01472.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01473.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01475.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01476.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01478.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 02:15 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 1 (d)

In addition to hiding the orange fold lines - remember to colour the edges of the shutters and the slots as well. Last thing is the black and white fold lines need colouring too. Just be aware of how the part is going to fit and see if the white is going to show.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01481.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01482.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01484.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01485.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01486.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 1 (e)

I sanded the back of part 1A to remove any debris from the slots and window frames. The sanding stick is held flat on the paper so as to not rip the window frames. Next I used the CA glue. This, if you have never used it, gives the paper an extremely rigid and firm feel to it when the glue sets - which is very quickly. I did this to protect the slim window frames when I was colouring the edges.

Shown here is the glue and the applicator. Just drop it on the paper. Do a trial run if your not sure about using it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01487.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01488.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01489.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01490.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01491.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 1 (f)

Edges sanded, window frame has CA glue applied, slots and edges coloured in. Last thing I did was to use a wallpaper roller on the long edge to give me a sharp and clean edge to join to the next piece.

This took me about 6 hours in total due to going with the optional windows - but it is going to be worth the extra effort.

So until next time - happy modeling and see you all around.

And before you ask yes this is aimed at beginners and if I can help, then whey not. I have had a lot of help so this is my way of paying back and hopefully this will be of help to others.

Cheers
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01492.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01493.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01495.jpg  
Old 12-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Hey..... This is brilliant matey ! Great to see you back at model building. The effort for the windows is well worth it And yet again i play the videos time and time again - Your voice is very relaxing.... you should have been a Blue Peter Presenter, doing all those Blue Peter Makes - Yes i still watch them on You Tube Look forward to seeing the next instalment
Thanks Peter. Appreciate your comments as always. I was watching Only Fools and Horses clips from the BBC on their YouTube channel. Then there was Porridge - another classic.

See you around mate.
Cheers
Jim
Old 12-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great Videos! Those windows are very realistic-looking! Well worth the effort!

Ken
Old 12-25-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks

Thanks a lot Ken. It adds a lot of extra time doing each window but as one of the gurus here called Yogi said "it is not a race - it's an adventure".

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense