PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
VERY nice work on the tile walls Jim. I know from way too much experience that vertical tiling is no fun, and you have done an excellent job there. Congrats also on the re-finance, that's way more than a drop in the bucket. Now the real question... Did you pass the inspection? Your inspector looks pretty tough!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
hahahahah
I see your post "This is the reason for my lack of updates..."
And I catch site of a photo of the Toilet.
And I'm thinking "what? he was taking a dump?"
LOL
then I read further and see the pretty job you did on the remodel.

Okay, we let you off the hook.

Jim...you don't know how much I was hoping you would get further on the Haunted House
I have been checking this thread every day!
...so I could ask for a pic for the calendar!!
But, alas, the calendar is basically done...you didn't make it.
...maybe next year we can get you in it!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Hey Jim - Great job on the house, the tiles look really good. Glad to hear the finance is better for you too. Take care and catch you back at the Manor soon hopefully.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeaux View Post
VERY nice work on the tile walls Jim. I know from way too much experience that vertical tiling is no fun, and you have done an excellent job there. Congrats also on the re-finance, that's way more than a drop in the bucket. Now the real question... Did you pass the inspection? Your inspector looks pretty tough!
Thanks mate. It was a bit of pressure but yes we passed all the inspections. We close on Tuesday next week. Really excited about that.

Cheers and glad it's out the way though.

Jim

Last edited by bagpiper; 01-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
hahahahah
I see your post "This is the reason for my lack of updates..."
And I catch site of a photo of the Toilet.
And I'm thinking "what? he was taking a dump?"
LOL
then I read further and see the pretty job you did on the remodel.

Okay, we let you off the hook.

Jim...you don't know how much I was hoping you would get further on the Haunted House
I have been checking this thread every day!
...so I could ask for a pic for the calendar!!
But, alas, the calendar is basically done...you didn't make it.
...maybe next year we can get you in it!
Thanks a lot AirDave but sadly no further. Hey you could take a picture of my Gee Bee. Oh no wait! That too is not finished. How about the bathroom? At least that's done. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Hey Jim - Great job on the house, the tiles look really good. Glad to hear the finance is better for you too. Take care and catch you back at the Manor soon hopefully.
Oh yes Peter and it is a huge weight of my mind. heck! Having 25 years left of a 30 year mortage at 50 years old is not something I was pleased with. I feel blessed that I am able to do this as I know others are not so lucky. I feel fortunate indeed.

Cheers Dave and Peter and hope you both are having a nice weekend. We have Monday off as it is Martin Leuther King Day.

Jim
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Jim, you did a terrific job on the bathroom! Very clean build, the seams all look straight, no glue marks, and your edge coloring matches perfectly.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post
Jim, you did a terrific job on the bathroom! Very clean build, the seams all look straight, no glue marks, and your edge coloring matches perfectly.
lol. But man trying to do a valley fold on those tiles was a pig. lol. I tell you it is a huge weight of my mind. Now I can relax and get back to this model. ;-)

Cheers
Jim
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 14B and Part 11C

Not too much to talk about here but I decided to try out the transparency parts for part 14B. It was not that hard to cut but I had some issues along the way.

I printed out both sheets of the transparencies so I guess that is the way I am going to finish this model. I think it looks good and I don't want to be mxing between card and transparency.

OK I am sorry but I am not very good with names so my appologies here. I want to thank whoever it was that suggested scoring card on the reverse side so that the score line is on the valley side (the inside of the fold). I was wondering how I was going to do that but I bought a merry-glo-round at Michaels. It was on sale for $19.00 and has a tempered glass top. So instead of using pins to mark the plain side of the paper I put it on here and score away. You can see from the pictures how clear it shows up the lines are to follow without having to use pins which I never really liked doing. I need to score the card a little differently than I am used to but it does give a very smooth fold. Something that I will need to experiment with to see what works best for me. The part shown being scored is part 15B which I will attach on the next update.

One mention of Ray Keim's facebook page by Richard mentioned strengthing the transparency at the edges. I did this with a 1/16" brass rod. I used liqued cement in the little bottle with the built in metal dropper. (sorry forgot to take a picture) I layed a single track of glue then put the brass rod in place.

I set the printer to transparency but it looks too transparent through the ink. Perhaps that is the way these things turn out. But the settings were correct and I used best quality with maximum ink.

The glue stick on top in the last two pictures is just a little weight to keep the rood in place. While the brass rod can be seen because I did not paint it with my black sharpie enough, I am happy with the experiment. I did not cut out any of the plastic in the middle of the piece as I wanted it to remain as rigid as possible.

One thing that I really would suggest is the use of foam board. This was already suggested by a kind person but I don't have any yet. When you push against the walls at any time to glue a piece in place the walls buckle under the pressure. Perhaps in the interest of keeping it as much paper as possible.

Needs some edge treatment but other than that I shall not be removing any of the pieces and moving on.

Cheers

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01638.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01640.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01641.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01643.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01644.jpg  

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01645.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01646.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01647.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01648.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01649.jpg  

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01650.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01651.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01652.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01653.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01654.jpg  

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01655.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.11 MB
Fantastic thread and build, Jim - much better (and more involved) than my own attempt at reduced scale. And kudos on the special mention at Haunted Dimensions - my 'other' favourite site. Nice tip about the fine brass wire - will give that a try.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancocp View Post
Fantastic thread and build, Jim - much better (and more involved) than my own attempt at reduced scale. And kudos on the special mention at Haunted Dimensions - my 'other' favourite site. Nice tip about the fine brass wire - will give that a try.
Many thanks for your comment mate. I have to give credit to Richard on Ray Keims facebook page for the suggestion about the wire. The only reason I did not cover it with my sharpie is that the tip is fine. I need a larger one to make it easier to colour in the brass rod after it is glued in place. But I am looking at my model now and unless you are looking for it it really does not detract from the model any more than the transparency. In other words it is minor.

Appreciate your kind words and hope to get at least one part done each day - depending upon when I get home from work that is.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense