PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Those windows look great James. Thanks for the CA glue tip.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Those windows look great James. Thanks for the CA glue tip.
Well thank you kind sir. I appreciate your kind words. It makes the paper almost rock hard and all you do is put a few drops in place. Let me know when you get a chance to try it out.

All the best
Jim
Old 12-25-2010, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The build looks real good so far. The extra effort on the windows really sets it off.

The CA glue stuff is great for what you describe. I have used it to stiffen gear teeth on some models.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
The build looks real good so far. The extra effort on the windows really sets it off.

The CA glue stuff is great for what you describe. I have used it to stiffen gear teeth on some models.
You know this is what makes this whole place worth while. The simple little bits of encouragement means a lot to me and all the people in here. Thanks troops. Just please don't ask about the Gee Bee OK? lol

Cheers
Jim
Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM

The Haunted Mansion - Ray Keim - Part 2 (a)

This second part took about 7 hours total. But I am taking my time more with the cuts. Yesterday I was hacking away - today I am taking multiple slow strokes on each cut. Makes a much cleaner edge on the slots and less slipping with the blade. So for this we need part 2A and sheet 31 to cut out a further 5 optional windows. You have probably seen image 3 before but if you haven't this is my scribing tool. It is a rounded off blade. Very smooth and round and cuts nothing. It makes a really good tool for scoring fold lines and is very narrow. The blue ice cream lid is my glue tray. What I like about it is that when the glue is dry - as you can see here the glue pulls straight off in one go and I can re-use the lid.

The knife handle I use is the Olfa. I have Olfa blades but still working through my x-acto and Excel. I re-started a thread today to see if I can get some tips on how people are finding their blades.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01499.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01500.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01501.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01502.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01503.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM

The Haunted Mansion - Ray Keim - Part 2 (b)

I showed a picture of the slots because they need to be cut out and not just slit with a blade. You need to make sure to give enough room for a piece of card to be pushed into the slot and if you don't make it big enough it will buckle the card stock.

The light with the magnifier is one wonderful tool indeed. For cutting the slits and most precision cuts I used this. Lot of pennies but well worth it in my opinion.

Next three just show the sanding stick as before to smooth out the back of the card after cutting all the holes. I turn the card over so I can see where I have missed cutting on the other side.

Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01504.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01505.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01506.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01507.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01508.jpg  

Last edited by bagpiper; 12-25-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added video clip
Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 PM

The Haunted Mansion - Ray Keim - Part 2 (c)

Part 2A with the windows and slots all cut out - same as in part 1A.

These Westcott scissors come in a pack of 3 different sizes. These have a curved blade and I used these to trip up the windows after I had done the major cuts with the blade.

And again you see my roller pressing down the edges prior to gluing.

If you read my Gee Bee thread you will have seen me do this before but I use my x-acto box as a base to help me hold card in place while colouring the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01511.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01512.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01513.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01515.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01516.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM

The Haunted Mansion - Ray Keim - Part 2 (d)

Other than a little bit of ripped paper at the top this window came out OK. To me the cut out looks just fine.

Part 2A with all the shutters attached. It is starting to take shape now. Again just remember if you are going to use the optional windows then the shutters must go on first.

Both my rulers have cork on the back as well. Standard hobby rulers but I found that the ones without the cork slipped all over the place. With these you also have a lip to see under so you can follow the line by leaning on the edge of the ruler. The ruler no longer blocks the line you are cutting.

And again using my x-acto block as a former to hold my window prior to colouring the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01517.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01518.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01519.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01520.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01522.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM

The Haunted Mansion - Ray Keim - Part 2 (e)

And after the colour has been applied.

Now this is one place I really need a hand. I have part 1A and 2A squared up but I have a heck of a job gluing long edges. Any tips on how you do this would be much appreciated.

Both parts seen glued together with a total of 11 cut out windows - so far.

Progress has been good due to hammering away at it and having an understanding wife.

Just be prepared for the extra work if you do the optional windows - but it is well worth the extra effort. Had I thought about it more I would have used some plastic in the windows as well to look like glass.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01523.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01524.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01525.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01527.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01528.jpg  

Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Wow Jim, those windows are phenomenal. Truly adds that extra "flare" or whatever you want to call it. Sorry I can't help you with your question (something I've struggled with myself) but I'm sure there are others who can.

Can't wait to see more!

[email protected]
Google Adsense