PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 588.7 KB
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitejd
Burnham-on-Sea Lighthouse

I just finished my first Architectural model. I real newbee at paper buildings. All I can say is that it is great fun and I find that I have to focus to the exclusion of everything else to do this.

After this and now working on some tanks and WWI aircraft, all works in progress, I can only say that I stand (set) in awe of the work that is presented on this web site.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Burnham-on-Sea Lighthouse-lighthouse-001-635a.jpg   Burnham-on-Sea Lighthouse-lighthouse-001-636a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks really good, I do like lighthouse models. What did you mount it on?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Redhorse:
Thanks, I am working to do better on my next project, the 1/72 T-70 Russian tank (photos on a different tread.) Much harder than this lighthouse.

The base is a fiber-board that I found at HobyLobby a week ago. They were having an after Christmas sale and I got a 20x30 sheet for a buck 99. Smooth outer gloss surface with some type of plastic spun fiber sandwiched between. Very sturdy and it takes glue very well.

Jerry

Jerry
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
You certainly started at the deep end with this kit - there are a lot of easier kits to start on.

This may sound odd, but if it hadn't been for my daughter, you would never have made this model! She works for a marine insurance company in the city of London and one of her customers sent her a post card with a picture of the lighthouse. She sent me a copy and I suggested that she send it to David Hathaway at "Paper Shipwright" David has a licence to build as many of the UK ligthouses as he wants.

She sent the card and later the same day, he sent her the kit! I must admit that I'm not too interested in lighthouses, but I did make this one and like all of Davids kits it's a crisp and well executed model. What I like is the latitude and longtitude quoted on all the lighthouses.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice clean build - I like it.
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
I can only echo the others positive comments on your light house build. I have tinkered around on some of the Fiddlers' Green Light Houses that Chip has but they need some sort of landscaping around them to look right. I like the plain base design with the location coordinates printed on there, a full set of these depicting a coastline would be a real fun project as well as a handy thing to have for a seaside shop.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks to all for the kind words:
Mike, great bit of history concerning the lighthouse. I am not much on lighthouses or buildings of any type. Back when I was much younger I did built kits for my model railroad. I picked this lighthouse because I understood that it was somewhat simple so did not, as you suggest, jump into the deep end on purpose. I should have given credit to the "Paper Shipwright" for the free kit but just did not think about it. There are some great free items on that site.
Jay and B-Manic thanks for the good words, I can only hope that I will improve with more work.

Thanks,
Jerry