PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Newest Model

I just finished making a model of the Reichstag in Berlin. I enjoyed working on this, my 36th model, but it sure had a lot of small parts of moldings and cornices plus 40 little urns/vases around the top and 16 small statues. You can see this model as well as all of the models that I have made on my web page www.cathedralquest.com and clicking on "church model" and going to the 3rd page of models. ( I wouldn't mind if you read all of my travels. I am now working to complete the description of Germany 2007).

We are planning another cathedral quest in the near future. We have had our plane tickets and hotel reservations for several months. For security reasons I would rather not say when we are going. This time we are spending almost a month in Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Kutna Hora, Budapest, Vienna, Melk, and Salzburg. I like to make models of the places that we will see before taking the trip. By the time I have finished a model, I know the building quite well. I make reference to this on my first page of www.cathedralquest.com . So far I have finished in addition of the Reichstag, the Berliner Dom, St. Barbara's in Kutna Hora, St. Stephens in Vienna and Melk Abbey. I just started St. Vita in Prague (which is another story). I also have purchased the models to make: Frauenkirche in Dresden, the Dresden Opera House, the Prague clock, Brandenburg Gate, Sanssouci in Potsdam, St. Mathias in Budapest, the Budapest Bridge, the Schonbrunn in Vienna, Konigstein castle, Karlstejn castle plus post card models of Klosterneuburg, Votivkirche - Vienna, Scottenkirche-Vienna, Kreuzenstein, Schloss Belvedere - Vienna and Technische Museum -Vienna. Do you know of any models that I have missed???? When I finish these, I have 22 other models to make of churches that we have already visited. So you know where I am going to be for a LONG TIME. When I finish all of these models I will have 70 models in my study plus about 18 post card models. I may have to build another room!!

Paper modeling is great fun and very relaxing. Now I must get back to St. Vita cathedral in which only has instruction in Czech. It does have good drawings.

Please visit my web page www.cathedralquest.com
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Your work is amazing. All the models are clean and sharp. I love these buildings, and you should be really proud of your achievements
Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Beautiful work. Would be interesting to place a light inside for the stained glass.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Eternal Member

Peter
Thanks for your kind remarks. I really enjoy making these and then seeing them in person.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Eternal Member

StevO

Thanks for your kind words. I am afraid it would difficult to light up the stained glass in card models;however, I have four large wooden cathedral clocks that I have made with lighted stained glass. I glued an acetate sheet inside the window openings and painted it with stained glass paint. Then I put small lights inside. You can see these on my other webpage - www.creations-by-thomas.com/Specialclocks.htm. Please take a look.
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

A couple of LED's which can have covers added to gain the needed affect would rather well. Welcome to the forum! You Cathedrals are inspirational.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM

For the stained glass, you could reprint the windows on regular copy paper and then 'wet' them with oil. This renders them almost transparent. Worth a shot.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 AM

i love architectural paper models and yours are beautiful. well done - i look forward to spending moretime browsing your website.
i do have a suggestion to perhaps bear in mind in future. almost all of your images are larger than what they are being displayed on the webpage eg you have scaled them within your html code. this makes the pages take considerably longer to load for visitors and uses up more of your bandwidth unnecessarily
anyway i do love your work and if there are any models missing i reckon mike stamper might know what they are!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Eternal Member

Damian

I really appreciation your feedback and your kind remarks. Thanks for looking at my websites. I have often wondered about the speed of downloading my pictures. We have Fios for our internet which of course is very fast. I recently checked out my site on my niece's computer, and it was somewhat slow and several pictures didn't appear. With this particular camera, which I have had about 2 years, I always set it for high resolution because I wanted high quality prints plus a good resolution when making my powerpoint presentation in my classes. When we made our last trip in 2009, I had not thought seriously about a web page - www.cathedralquest.com. so I wasn't thinking about the resolution on a webpage. I will shoot at a much lower resolution on our up coming trip so that they will download quicker when I put them on the web site. I note that you are a computer guy so you know how to do all the things. I have had my www.creations-by-thomas.com website almost 15 years although I have neglected it since I have had cathedralquest. Maybe there is a way to change the resolution on my present pictures to make them download quicker on computers that don't have FIOS. Any suggestions?

This is a VERY SMALL world. You mentioned Mike Stamper. I became acquainted with Mike back in March when he visited my website. We have become good friends and correspond several times each week. I had 2 emails from him yesterday! I also have another friend in Australia that I met over my webpage. He also like models.

Thanks again for your advice. It is good to know. I have had over 18,000 visitors on my site since I put it up last June. You are the first to comment on the slow download which I really appreciate knowing.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Eternal Member

Shawnr5

Thanks for that suggestion. I never thought of that before. I will try it. I also could copy them on the acetate film sheets. I made elevations the interior of a number cathedrals out of plywood. Then I printed a copy on acetate of an actual stained glass window from that particular cathedral and glued it in the window opening. You can see an example on the first page of www.cathedralquest.com As I write about other cathedrals on our travels, I will put up the elevation next to an elevation of the Washington Cathedral for a comparison. Most of my elevations are of French cathedrals which I have not put on my site yet.
Google Adsense