PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Matthais Church - Budapest

For the first three and a half weeks of September my wife and I travelled to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Kutna Hora, Brno, Budapest, Vienna, Melk Abbey and Salzburg on our eigth European "cathedral quest". It was wonderful to see in person the models that I had already completed of the Reichstag and Berlinerdom in Berlin, Frauenkirche in Dresden, St. Vitus in Prague, St. Barbara's in Kunta Hora, Matthias in Budapest, Stephendom in Vienna and Melk Abbey. I have 10 models of other churches and castles that we saw yet to make.

I always enjoy making the model first and then seeing the "real thing".

Two days before we left I finished the model of Matthais Church in Budapest but did not have to put in on Papermoders.com. So here are several photos of the model and the real church. The model had a lot of small parts which I was glad to see in person. It is a beautiful church inside and out and has had an interesting history including a time that it was a mosque.

Quickly, another subject. I had been asked to be the presenter for the 14th International Paper Modelers' Convention this past week end in Sterling Va. (see the thread 2011 ipmc for details). I wanted to have a model from each of the nine countries that we had visited with the models representing 10 different publishers. I have a number of Merino Spanish model kits, but had not made any so I started on El Pilar in Saragossa so I could show a Merino model. I was a long way from finishing it so I took it "under construction". The Merino models do not have any numbers on the parts - numbers on the page though. It is good idea to write the numbers on the part before cutting them. There are no numbers on any parts showing where the new part is to be glued. This is rather frustrating and takes a lot of time deciding where part A fits on part B. There are detailed instruction in English and some fair drawings. There are many, many small domes - 18 to be exact. Attached is a photo of the kit. I had started on Hollernsalzburg before the trip so I will finish that next.
Attached Thumbnails
Matthais Church - Budapest-img_5497.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_5501.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_5503.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_5505.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_6751.jpg  

Matthais Church - Budapest-img_6756.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_6758.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_6763.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_7894.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice indeed.

Who makes the Matthais Church model?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Eternal Member

Kevin,

Thanks for looking, and your kind words. The Mathias Church (Matyas-templom) is a 3D Karton kit. I got mine plus the Chain Bridge (Budapest) from GPM (www.gpm.pl ). 3DKarton also has a website - www.3dkarton.hu . It was a nice model to assemble. There weren't many written instructions but there were four pages of colored pictures that pointed out the order of construction.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thomas - thank you.

I currrenly live in Africa unfortunately so cannot devote the time I wish to visiting the old churches, cathedrals and Minsters in the UK and Europe. But when I am in Europe, I do my best!

I often have a look at your site - and really enjoy doing so.

On my last lengthy visit to the UK I managed to do a number of very old churches in the country in Yorkshire - and Beverly Minster - very impressive. No kit for it though as I have hunted far and wide.

In London, Temple Church and the Brompton Oratory were also worthwhile - though one could not take pictures at the latter.....
Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Eternal Member

Kevin,
Thanks for you kind words about my website. www.cathedralquest.com . I am happy that you are looking at it from time to time. Now that the Interntional Paper Modelers' Convention is over, I will have more time to devote to finishing our last trip to Central Europe in September. I will send out a notice when it is finished.

English cathedral and church model kits are pretty scarce. I do have St. Paul's in London which I bought several month's ago from St. Paul's gift shop. It was by Heritage Models www.heritage-models.co.uk. There a few free download by Canon of English buildings on http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/2025/list_15_1.html. There are some copies of Rupert Chicken's English Cathedral models floating around. They are just black and white, but have a number parts and some that a very small. I know that Peter Heesch has a few-HB Precision Card [[email protected]]

I would also welcome any information about English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish churches.....this may be our next Cathedral Quest.
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Thanks for sharing the pictures of Matthias Church. Looks like they had the same skilled roofer as St Stephansdom in Vienna. You are very good at translating the flamboyant stone tracery into paper. That fine gothic snipping takes a firm hand and a determined heart. It is a real pleasure to see the model and then the actual building in situ. How much more it must be to build it, and then with the spcial memory in mind, to explore the real building. Cheers,
Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Eternal Member

Rob,

One of the pleasures of the Internation Paper Modelers' Convention was meeting you. You have beautiful models.

Thanks for you kind words. I really enjoying making the model first because after spending 25-35 hours on it, you know it very well. It is awe inspiring to see it in person especially the tiny little parts that took so long to assemble. A good example are the two photos below of the Frauenkirche in Dresden. Joining the curved roof over the apse to the curve at the botton of the lower dome sides was a great challenge, mainly because there was no way to guide the part from inside while gluing.

Althought I have seen many buildings first and then built the model, I would realize that I missed something even though we might spent 2 -3 hours exploring the church. Some people are fortune to visit, make the model and then revisit. At our age I think once is about it as there are still many more places to visit before we can't make the flight across the ocean --the most difficult part of the trip. I am presently working on the Hohensalzburg which I started before our trip. I found all of the little passageways and building when we visited and noted others that I will soon assemble.

You mentioned that you had several extra models I might be interested in. At your convenience I would appreiate hearing from you about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Matthais Church - Budapest-img_5473.jpg   Matthais Church - Budapest-img_6064.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Thomas,

You are too depreciating - I've made St mattias and know that it is a very complicated model. I had to get a magnifying glass to some of the pictures to see where some of the minute bits went !

I can appreciate the amount of effort needed to make such a model.

BTW Micromodels have some of the English cathedrals

Cheers
Mike
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I was very impressed with this model when I saw it at the International Paper Modelers' Convention last week, Thomas, and am glad to be able to see these images and to hear more about the structure, the model, and your travels.

Don
Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Don. I appreciate your kind remarks. I am working on the Salzburg Castle right now. I started it before the trip. It has been fun making some of the little buildings and pathways that I saw when we visited the castle.
Google Adsense