Old 12-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdaviesclay View Post
Link does not work?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Eternal Member

Sorry about that it should be .nl rather than .nt (eyes and typing aren't what they used to be. Try www.zeistbouwplaten.nl. It should work now. Thanks for finding that mistake. How is Park Guell coming today? I finally understood that you were making it 3 times the size of the kit.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdaviesclay View Post
How is Park Guell coming today? I finally understood that you were making it 3 times the size of the kit.
Look three posts back. :-) Parc Güell

Here's some more detail I posted on another forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooldm (on cardboard warriors)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verminking (on cardboard warriors)
That is wonderful. How many pages did it end up when you magnified it? Or did you just print on larger paper? Looking at the pic for the whole model, that will definitely cover a lot of territory. It certainly has a feel that is different than your typical medieval buildings.
The outer perimeter of the building took 3 8.5x11 sheets, and is almost 8"; tall (so it just barely fit, and it flowed out of the robocutter's max cutting area for the two pages with the peaks. I managed to fit the inside rail onto one sheet (again, in three parts.) 1 Roof, 1 floor tile (overflowed 8.5 x 11, so I cropped it for now), 4 pages of tower parts (the cone took two of those.) Then three extra sheets of structural (roof, floor, cone) supports/reinforcement that I made because even cardstock becomes flimsy at this scale - at least these didn't need to be printed as they had no registration marks.

So, the answer is 10 art + 3 extra = 13 sheets.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice. Just to keep all in scale and keep track of all the parts is quite the accomplishment. It came out great.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Here's some Pix showing the 2x model next to the 3x. The chapel would be much taller than the gatehouse if they were in the same scale:

Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 PM

As a matter of course, papermodels simplify art - but this simplification baffles me -

The ceiling of the courtyard has beautiful mosaics at many intersections:

But the model renders these thus:

I know this part of the model isn't likely to be inspected that closely when assembled, but why bother rendering the underside at all if you're going to simplify it that much.

Perhaps I'll just go and find some images and see what I can do. Then again, maybe not.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM

BTW, I want to model the colonnades from the park shown below. Any suggestions on how to approach this non-euclidean structure?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Do you have a view from outside the colonade? I can picture wall coming up and wrapping into a ceiling, then merging into the columns, but between the columns, judging by the shadows, it seems to be a very shallow arch. What goes on outside and above?

I wish this had been on the tour we took. I had no idea that this was there. We went to several Gaudi sites, but we didn't go into any of them, and I don't believe we saw this one at all.

Last edited by Vermin_King; 12-29-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Additional Thoughts
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 PM

Status update: Kitbash fully underway...

So I've started on the courtyard (two open stories, the upper one contains lots of curvy seating nooks decorated inside and out with mosaic

and a large central plaza covered with an orange-brown dirt.

It is supported by dozens of pillars on a concrete-tile base, open on three sides and backed against the hillside. If you look at the illustration in the upper half of this image, you'll see how the kit adapts this area.

And, keeping to scale, I started by scaling up the concrete pad 3x first:

Then I realized three things I didn't like. 1) The column positions were outlined in red and left little wiggle room, which I definitely need at this scale. 2) It's way shorter than I was hoping for (and recalled from my visit, which matches the photos above. So I decided to at least double the depth of the courtyard and remove the red-numbered circles - but 3) The tiles aren't easily kit-bashable (clone brush, reverse image, etc.) to repeat, so I'm going to have to make a new base . Fortunately, making that from scratch, borrowing only the stained concrete texture should be easy enough... But how large? I decided to set that aside and focus on the upper courtyard and to align everything to that after it was built.

Here's how large it would have been before extension (great for a display, not so much for playability:

Some judicious GIMP editing skills (learned at the last minute from my artist-daughte) and we're up to date: I've got the top extended so that the playable area is roughly 14" x 17" and backed by foam core:

Next up, I'm planning on trying magnets inside the columns to allow for both the upper and lower areas to be playable as well as to store flat. Any advice on that?

Next I'll share the kitbash of the courtyard first-story ceiling. My daughter's instruction gave me a way to re-insert the missing sun-inspired mosaics! Honestly, this will only ever be noticed by folks looking for it, but it will be a great easter-egg.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 AM

More progress - I'm starting to mod like crazy - but oddly, at this point it's getting MORE like the real Parc Güell, not less.

First I added some of Gaudi's Mozaic's into the courtyard ceiling:

To stretch it, I had to also stretch the curves in the center, but I think that looks OK. The black spots are cuttable magnets that I'm gluing down on the brown spots and are going to align with the top of the pillars. [There was a cutter during-cut registration error, so most of them are damaged and had to be hand-inked. A flaw I'm living with for now.]

I slightly increased the diameter of the columns to fit the magnets I had and added caps to glue them in. Here's three pillars holding fast to a plate I'm going to insert under the floor and a plain magnet so you can see the size. There's a magnet in the top and bottom of each pillar and they are quite sturdy. I've got to make 22 of these (44 magnets.)

I'm still playing with the trim-mosaic-wall that goes around the upper courtyard and thinking about how to add a real bench around the whole thing...
Google Adsense

Tags
architecture, fantasy, gaudi