PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Phil's house - the build

I have designed a paper model based on architect drawings for my friend. I used the free version of sketchup to do the design and this is all described in the following thread
Phil's house

So now it's time to build it. I don't plan to start the build till next week as I need to waste some of my energy on the real world for a bit!!

This will be my first build thread so bear with me if it's not any good!!
Attached Thumbnails
Phil's house - the build-final1.jpg   Phil's house - the build-final2.jpg   Phil's house - the build-paper.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Well done with the design of your model, and whilst you may never make it onto "Grand Designs" I will still be watching your build. Might I ask the floor area of the original (something McCloud never seems to tell us), which direction is North (or South) and what type of glazing is being used in the large windows?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Floor area. I don't know! I have attached below a picture of the dimensions of the base of the model. This is at 1:100 scale. The internal dimensions of the building will obviously be a bit less to allow for the width of the walls. The building is two storey except for the office extension at the end. Hope that helps!

North or south. I can do that. In the left picture above the long side is the North West elevation and the short side is the North East. In the right hand picture the long side is the South East elevation and the short side is the North East elevation.

Glazing, sorry no idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Phil's house - the build-floor.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Finally found chance to start building. I'm not expecting to teach any of you anything here. I'm not the most patient builder or a perfectionist but I just wanted to record the build to show how the model turned out.

So far I have found that I forgot to alter the base piece slightly when I corrected a ciuple of wall errors.

I have glued down a piece of foamcore to the base and then fitted the main two wall sections to that. I have then added two more bits and finally put some foamcore supports into the centre of the building.

And that's your lots so far! For glue I am using my normal glue which is Anita's tacky glue (a sticky pva type glue) Google but I am also trialing the Bostik Stickipen. Bostik Sticki Pen White So far I'm actually liking the sticky pen. I thought I'd give it a try and if it works out I might grab a hord of them before they stop making them. You can never have enough glue!!
Attached Thumbnails
Phil's house - the build-imag0019.jpg   Phil's house - the build-imag0020.jpg   Phil's house - the build-imag0021.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Nice job with the computer model! The model's coming along nicely.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Well, due to a short deadline for the build I kinda got carried away building the model and forgot to take photos. So the build thread isn't much of a build thread!!

Well here is one construction photo and four of the completed model.
I leant a lot during the contruction about how to design in a way to make building easier and the advantages and disadvantages of using seperate tabs.

Well, I now have several ships to build and I'm going to carry on with my armoured car design. The next design after that will be town/city buildings for the American civil war. And then Chinese buildings. But life being what it is those are a long way off!
Attached Thumbnails
Phil's house - the build-imag0022.jpg   Phil's house - the build-imag0023.jpg   Phil's house - the build-imag0024.jpg   Phil's house - the build-imag0025.jpg   Phil's house - the build-imag0026.jpg