PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
The station is one long straight building with two large octagonal rotundas on it, one at either end, and then an extension on the southend that angles towards the tracks. That extension is where the little three story jewelbox is. The South rotunda is formed by adding pieces on either side of the straight building's basic shape. I added the one on the trackside which is pretty simple. The one on the streetside is another impressive bit of single paper sculpture - here it is, to give you the flavor of all the cutting and folding going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1440.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1443.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Then there is an inner flat roof foundation, that goes all the way around. The final roof will glue down directly to this, so I don't think it will be visible. This is the view from the South end.
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1445.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Then comes the second jewel box. This is the inside of the second big octagonal domed atrium, at the North end, right next to jewelbox #1. this one was a puzzle. A single piece of paper forms both the lower and upper levels, printed side inward. Little galleries slot into the walls at the higher and lower level. An octagonal floor is formed separately, and will get glued in. the whole unit will get set into the building - perhaps there is a wall that pulls out so that one can peek inside?
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1446.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1447.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1448.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM

And then more detail. A domed room is set on top. A set of columns is placed on the floor, that support the second level. They are tied together with crows braces, and (difficult to see) with braces that jut out from the walls. Once I glue the octagonal floor in, it will take a magnifying glass to see this stuff. I would forgive anyone who was tempted to leave it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1452.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1453.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1454.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What an intriguing model! Those two little "secret" interiors are marvelous! Rob, are you thinking of maybe putting some 1/1000 people in there to help give some indication of the scale?
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's like a Fabergé egg!

Don
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Let's see. I am 1.75 meters, so a 1/1000 mini-me would be 1.75 mm. or about 1/16th of an inch... Do such creatures exist on this planet?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 AM

I think I have been confusing my cardinal points. Here is the view from above. North is to the left, and both of the little detailed interior bits are actually on the South end of the building. A compass arrow printed on the ground plat helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1559.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1560.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM

The big octagonal atrium with the interior is surmounted by an octagonal skirt roof and a dome. The front three parts of the whole octagonal structure are removable, so one can peek inside. The roof is supported by a whole internal structure that makes it remarkably sturdy. The "Faberge egg" insert includes little columns, and girders that attach the columns to the walls and to each other. There is an inner dome/ceiling, and then the outer dome roof. Wonder how close this is to the real space?
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1558.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1561.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1562.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1563.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1564.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Here is the "egg" interior, finished, and then glued into place. The dome and the 5 segment skirt together remind me of a samurai helmet. That part glues down, and the front three segment piece is just set into place.

This model has some substantial engineering design in it. The fit has been excellent, and the many tabs do not get in the way. However, figuring it all out has been a challenge. There are not a lot more instructions in Japanese, mostly detailed part labels, as near as I can tell. This presumes a lot of skill on the part of the builder, which I struggle to supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1579.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1580.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1581.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1582.jpg   Tokyo Train Station - minified-img_1583.jpg