PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fantasy Watermill Conversion: Playable Interior

Your favorite crazy guy who makes paper buildings that store flat and have interiors so people can play D&D in them with minis is back...

This time, I decided to build Lord Zsezse's watermill and do an interior conversion.

After all, he also sells a battlemap for use with the 3D model I could use for the floors:

(Image from the product page on RPGNow)

But I ran into a problem. Though the shapes are virtually identical, the scale is way out of proportion between the products. Look at the map closely, it shows the mill interior being 10" or 50-feet wide, where the model builds out to be only 15ft wide - more than 3x out of scale.

I really don't think the model will scale up that much very well. So instead, I output the floor maps with the 1.5" grid, and then reduced them to 67%, giving a 7"/35' wide interior with 1" squares. Now the wagon wasn't 20' long nor were there 10' bags of grain.

This still meant I'd have to scale the model up if I wanted to use these maps in-place. So 225% scale is what I built. Man- that makes an easy model hard... Here's my pics, though...

Cut-out-slots don't scale well. Sigh. At least there's so much going on you can't really see the big slots.

The doors are now giant-sized, so I made them double-doors, to match the battlemat interior. Thank goodness giant-sized humanoids are common in D&D. :-)

First - lifting off the simplified loose-fit roof you can see the tower tile (which is glued to foam core and friction fit in the tower...

Both roofs off - This is the effect I was going for - not too bad. This took so long that I've scrapped my plans to build the internal wheel for now. Kinda burnt out on this one...

Oh right! It wouldn't be one of my models without showing how I've reduced the storage requirements:

Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
You never cease to amaze me

Tags
d&d, fantasy, interior, watermill