PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Space Needle, Seattle 1961

Good news for those of you who like unusual buildings. Scouring junkshops can be rewarding (a very rare occurrence, but I don't give up). Last week I found a Space Needle - of all places, in Utrecht, Holland. One wonders how it got there!
The model was originally published in 1995 by a company I have not been able to trace, and no designer is mentioned - so I feel I can offer reproductions for sale. As always in such cases, I am reserving a reasonable percentage of the price should a copyright holder turn up.
The model is very similar in style to models of Alan Rose and Edmund Gillon, but it is black and white only. It consists of 12 sheets, European A3 size. I have scanned them and adapted them so they will fit on American ledger size. It comes with a 20 page booklet with instructions. The completed building will be ca. 40 inches high (1 meter).
Let me know if you are interested - for more details, see the 'news' page of my website www.zeistbouwplaten.nl. Please note: I am also offering it as download or CDRom, to save on mailing costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Space Needle, Seattle 1961-space-needle.jpg  

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 12-01-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.86 MB
contact the Seattle souvenir co first, there is a number on the bottom
it is listed here
http://www.wurlington-bros.com/Workshop/tour2.html
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightsimmer2012 View Post
contact the Seattle souvenir co first, there is a number on the bottom
it is listed here
Paper Model Design Workshop
Thank you Flightsimmer for your advice... Actually, of course I did some preliminary work to trace a possible copyright holder. I first checked out Google - without any result. I searched the online telephone directory for Seattle - no mention of a Seattle Souvenir Company. Then I tried the telephone number on the cover, though without much hope of success. In my experience, firms with unimaginative names like this, and with low quality products like this (a cover thrown together on the kitchen table, no colour, no 'design' worth speaking of, cheap printing) do not often survive very long... The somewhat disgruntled old man who answered the phone had had that number for many years, and had never heard of this company.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Apparently the designer is someone called Thomas (Tom) Houha.
There is a reference in the first comment of this flickr image of a built model: My paper model of the Space Needle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM

hey if all else fails you could call the city of Seattle or email them and explain the situation, since it is a landmark. they might even tell you hey go ahead do what ever you want if it,, or just call the space needle itself maybe go into some kind of deal with them i found one on ebay but i think it was sold already
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Or even take out a small ad in a Seattle newspaper...at least then you could show a reasonable attempt to locate the IP owner(s)...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Originally sold in a box around 1988, but in the early 1990's in a reprint, the box was discarded and the kit sold in clear wrap around the 11X17 thick card stock, with instructions. Currently one on Evil-bay for sale $32.99 plus s/h $12.50 = hefty $45.49. Produced under the aspices of a promo company called Archmedia (which I also looked up and did not find enough information on yet), and drawn by Thomas Houha. I have always wanted to build a paper Space Needle, but needing more detail and dimensions. I have been up the Needle (and the St. Louis Arch) several times and love the designs. (I want to build each to scale!) The Space Base gift shop there does not list it. What I do have is the 1962 pl****c version that came out much, much earlier. See pics below. Holy paper-cr*p, I just saw how much one sold for on evil-bay, $112.00 and it is falling apart and smells like smoke! [Going downstairs to the dungeon and putting a ziploc around it now]
Attached Thumbnails
Space Needle, Seattle 1961-plasticneedle.jpg   Space Needle, Seattle 1961-plasticneedle2.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 AM

saw one for 32$ but bidding was closed
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 AM

Isn't the internet amazing - in less than 24 hours we have now traced the designer Thomas Houha (whom I would like to contact - if anyone can help there?), and I have also found out that there is a Space Needle gift shop, which I have contacted for more information.
I had no idea what the Needle was used for now - I was just thinking in terms of a television tower, or something like that. It turns out to be a restaurant.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thomas 'Tom' Houha can be contacted via [email protected] and the gift shop Houha sold the model rights was named Simply Seattle - still existing. Contact info here: Simply! Seattle

Best regards,

Tappi
Google Adsense