PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
And I thought your building kits was only in myth, legend, story and song! Nice job.
There's a few around this here forum, pard....

Wyvern
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Not only can you build the Western Buildings but you can also get some cowboy figures and have some shoot-em-up Western Game Adventures.

See:
Gutshot | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
Desperado | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
Boot Hill | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the links, Zakopious. I have more from Whitewash City on the way. I've looked at Vulture Gulch but the lack of color photos to show me what I'd be buying has put me off.

FG also has a Wild West line, and Ecardmodels has two collections of simple Wild West buildings in N Gauge scale.

Wyvern

Last edited by Wyvern; 11-07-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Today's entry is the Casa de Viejo (Old House or Old One's House) from Finger and Toe's Lincoln County series. Designed by Glenn Williams, Casa de Viejo is a set of three buildings representing an old ranching or farming adobe, one that has seen many seasons but is still a functioning home and enterprise.

The first structure is the hacienda, with a wide, plank-floored ramada. Then come two general-purpose outbuildings, which could be used for store rooms, line shacks, or even worker's dwellings. If you kit-bashed on a fireplace to one, it could be the main house's outside kitchen.

The models are designed in 28-30mm for wargaming. I down-sized these to HO scale. The ground-textured bases are part of the kit, and I laminated them to bristol board. A couple of "builder's mods" to note: I used matchsticks for the ramada uprights instead of the card originals, and the smaller outbuilding's roof as designed has a section of "exposed" rafters where the tar paper peeled away; I didn't want mine to look that run-down, so I printed an extra roof on plain paper and made "patches".

I tried another effect, that is sort of hard to make out on the photos- all of the doors and windows are double-laminated; I wanted them to have a more 3-D look than the printing alone. This is also true for the details on the hacienda, like the ladder, washtub, and border plants on the hacienda. I also cut away sections on plaster on one of the adobe outbuildings and glued a section of "brick" behind it so that it would look more realistic. However, I'm not at all sure that the effect justified the effort. Please feel free to comment.

The last picture shows the hacienda with my senior cat, who believes that a cleared-off surface with a camera pointed at it is an invitation to him.

Enjoy, and thanks to all for your comments so far. More to come! ~Wyvern
Attached Thumbnails
Wyvern's Wild West-three_front.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-roof_view_1.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-hacienda_back.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-hacienda_ramada.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-outbuildings_1.jpg  

Wyvern's Wild West-outbuildings_shed.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-hacienda-checkers.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looks good to me. When I do the laminated bit to add depth, I usually just do the window frames instead of the whole window.

When I took a photo of the Christmas village I did for the nursing home, I'd send progress photos to the Activity Director, and INVARIABLY the cat was in every single photo. Gotta love the little rats.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Looks good to me. When I do the laminated bit to add depth, I usually just do the window frames instead of the whole window.

When I took a photo of the Christmas village I did for the nursing home, I'd send progress photos to the Activity Director, and INVARIABLY the cat was in every single photo. Gotta love the little rats.
Thanks VM!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Wyvern,
I am pretty sure that the Vulture Gulch buildings are white models.
Ken
Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
Wyvern,
I am pretty sure that the Vulture Gulch buildings are white models.
Ken
Thanks Ken.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:22 PM

It's been awhle since the last trip to Wyvern's Wild West, but here we are, back in the saddle again!

Today's offering was inspired by the series "Hell on Wheels", of which I am a fan. We have here two large tents, from Eric Holz' Whitewash City "Tent Set #1". One tent, a saloon, has a false front to make it look fancier (there are several scenes in HOW where similar false fronts are added onto tents, including the camp saloon in Season 1); the other tent is set up as a chophouse, with a sign added on with meal prices. Alternate signs are included in the kit so that the tent can also be an even-less-fancy saloon or beer hall, or even a flophouse.

The ground piece and accessory items are from Dave Graffam, using a "mud" texture with patchy grass. I cut some planks from another building to make boards laid on the mud to serve as semi-walkways. I have intentions of adding some additional trash (a mining camp or railroad construction camp was NOT a place for those inclined to cleanliness). And there's something else missing to really bring the scene to life...but for now, some pictures!

Wyvern
Attached Thumbnails
Wyvern's Wild West-tents1.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-tents_overhead.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-tents_ground_1.jpg   Wyvern's Wild West-tents_back.jpg  

Last edited by Wyvern; 06-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Google Adsense