PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Bengt-

Thanks for your kind words and suggestion. This model is unlike any that I have made. All of my models are the detailed exterior view with the exception of the Paris Opera, Sainte Chapell in Paris, and Le Puy Cathedral in France. These three open up so you are able to view a finished interior.

I believe that this model was designed only to show what the 4th century Roman Bath's interior looked like after extensive excavations. Below you can see four drawings of the expansion of the original bath in the late 1st century to the 4th century. The next photo shows the present bath with the 4th century bath underneath. Bath Abbey is shown in background of the drawing. I have also attached a time line.

The emphasis of the model is on the floor plan and the purpose of each of the 30 rooms. On the information sheet, a detailed explanation of each room is recorded. I am sure that the excavation revealed some texture in the exterior walls, but that was not the intention of Mr. Ronayne's model. I never do anything to enhance a model except for Rupert Chicken and Eduprint English Cathedrals which are only in black and white, or black and tan. The walls do have some traces of brick and stone so I have used watercolors to bring out the present color.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath's Bath-dsc05448.jpg   Bath's Bath-dsc05447.jpg   Bath's Bath-dsc05449.jpg   Bath's Bath-2014-01-06-23.11.25.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Eternal Member

It's a winner!!!!!

This weekend, I exhibited for 4th year at the 17th Annual International Paper Modelers' Convention in Sterling, Va. The theme this year was Architectural Models which are not cathedrals or any other religious structures.....since I always bring my cathedral models.

I brought my model of the Roman Baths in Bath which I won in the auction last year. Tonight I won the first prize for the best "non religious" model with my model of this Roman Bath. I had also brought my finally finished model of Escoria with its 433 dormers, but it had a chapel which disqualified it.

Here a several photos of my table. Other photos of the Roman Bath model can be seen on page 1 of this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath's Bath-dsc06968.jpg   Bath's Bath-dsc06972.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
It was really cool seeing the bath model in person at the convention today. Thanks for bringing it.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 10-26-2014, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 379.18 MB
Hi Thomas,

the bath is a very interesting and nice model. Congratulations, it's a worthy winner.

Regards
Dieter
Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Congratulations Thomas! I remember the build thread you did on the Bath. A most interesting model to be sure. I'm sure the competition was stiff this year.

Last edited by elliott; 10-31-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
As always, I follow any link mentioned in the threads. Thomas' led me to the designers web site. It would appear that he is now an exhibition designer.

I couldn't help emailing him - mainly because he lives about 10 minutes walk from my home! (small worlds and small models!)

John told me that he designed the kit in 1978 and it was printed by the same company that produse British postage stamps.

I asked him if he still had the kit and he told me that he has only one. If anyone is interested in a reprint, let me know and I'll take a deep breath and ask him if he would be interested.

Cheers
Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This was a wonderful project, Thomas. We were all very impressed with it, and with all your other models, especially the very impressive Escorial and Lincoln Cathedral.

You are a real mainstay of the International Paper Modelers' Convention. We all eagerly look forward to see what models you will bring each year, and to following in this Forum your model building work and your world travels in search of the buildings you model.

Congratulations and good wishes.

Don
Old 11-28-2014, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.37 GB
I built this kit for a local comprehensive school in 1981 during my teaching practice. cellophane "water" was added to the pools and the top edges of the walls were smeared with pva glue and a thin paper top was gently placed onto the glued edges. The paper was trimmed with a scalpel when all was dry. This gave the impression of a solid wall. The roof was decorated with thin string to suggest the tiles and painted an earth red with acrylic paint. A drain was also fitted in the floor. The base was strengthened with a balsa underframe. The whole structure was placed in a case in order to protect it from the rough and tumble of a busy but successful school. I was told that it gave some years of good service.
It was good to see the design once again.

It was good to see the model once again. A reprint at perhaps a smaller scale would be very nice.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Eternal Member

Cemlyn-

First of all I note that you are a new member to paper modelers.com. I welcome you to this great forum for paper modelers. You will find a large number of interesting and devoted paper model enthusiast.

Your comments about the Bath at Bath that you built in 1981 was very interesting. You made some attractive additions of the water, filling the gap in the walls, and the roof. I hope that you have some photos that you could share on the forum.

I would be interested in seeing some of your other models, so please post them.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.37 GB
Thomas

Many thanks for your kind words.

Sadly, the model is no more. Nor do I have pictures of it.
The base edges were discarded and the base plate laminated onto thick card. This was mounted on a balsa strip frame which allowed space for the sunken pools. The whole was glued onto a plywood base upon which a protective case was built from perspex sheets and strip wood.
The drain on the side of the base leading from the spring was retained and a channel was cut from that to the side of the extended base. The angle of the channel was wrong however as further information came to light soon after the model was built.

As I remember, cream coloured 80gsm paper was cut into one inch (25mm) strips. Then, pva glue was smeared on to these strips, and they were gently pressed, glued side downwards onto the wall edges. When dry, they were trimmed with a sharp scalpel blade. I seem to recall that the strips were painted with a contrasting colour to the walls, to highlight the fact that the height of the walls was not known but arbitrarily set on the model.
I would model the ridged tiles on the roofs in a different way now as the string that I used was rather intrusive and over scale.
Since the model was designed, further information has come to light about the site and a new model might take this information on board.
Google Adsense