PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale

This is my first attempt at a build thread so let's see if I can do it!
I recently assembled the Historic, Hamilton Turner Inn as it was converted from 1:200 to N scale. This is the second installment of a six model series, Two Meeting Street being the first.

The Hamilton Turner Inn was built in 1873 in the French Colonial Style and was the first residence in Savannah to have electricity, the official line goes something like this:

Experience the gracious hospitality and elegance of the historic, Hamilton-Tuner Inn Bed and Breakfast.
Situated among the live oaks and magnolias of beautiful Lafayette Square, guest are enveloped in the grand romance and charm of old Savannah.

Accolades of this fine home are many, it offers the amenities that only a four diamond bed and breakfast can. Rated as the number #1 hotel in Savannah proper, it is the city’s first Select Registry Inn.

Established in honor of the Revolutionary war hero, Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette in 1837. Embraced by the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Lafayette square is Savannah’s most beautiful.

From French colonist in 1700 to the cornerstone of this French Gothic, Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist being laid in 1873. The spires and Stained glass completed in 1896 and 1904, it stands as a testament to time.

With that being said, let me first start by posting the footprint as well as some random part samples, please forgive the photo quality as an auto contrast application was used and parts may appear darker than they really are.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-footprint.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-part-01.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-part-02.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-part-03.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-part-04.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Hamilton-Turner Inn, (HTI) starts out pretty straight foreward but gets a little more complicated as it progresses.

I started by securing the front entrance over the base and followed by securing the corners, the remaining field was glued from behind.

I followed this by then attaching the second half of the Inn to the first, at the base then at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7323.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7327.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7333.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7337.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7341.jpg  

Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Looks like you've done your research, your first build thread is off to a good start. You even got the pictures down!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice looking build so far. Your historical notes are appreciated as well.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Fred,

it nice to see you posting the photos are great!

Jim
Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Nice work thus far, and the commentary is great to read.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Once all of the exterior walls were formed and in place, I then assembled the bay windows, "tower".

First by glueing the upper eaves to the top of the tower to hold it's form, I then attached the tower roof.

After allowing the glue to set I pre-formed the mid-level roof/eaves and attached then to the tower's central section, once dry I secured the ends to the tower.

With the tower assembly complete and dry, I secured it first to the base and then to the receiving marks on the Inn's exterior.

Okay, now with the simple things out of the way, this is where it starts to get a little more complicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7345.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7347.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7348.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7352.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7359.jpg  

Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM

Everything is happening on the third story of the Hamilton-Turner Inn, it starts by assembling the four parts that make up the third story exterior.

Once everything had a chance to set up, I began by attaching it first to the inn above the entrance, this was followed by a front corner followed by the oposite back corner.

Alternatingly securing the corners tended to center the assembly as I went along, after the corners were nailed down I glued the field from inside the Inn.

The eaves of the Inn are comprised of four segments as well that have to be formed to a profile and attached to each other forming a, "ring" of eaves, the more complex part being the protusion above the entrance, some delicate folding of this part is required.

With the, "ring" of eaves slipped over and down the Inn's third story, I left the roof off to allow finger access to the interior to secure the eaves.
Using a piece of scap paper to suspend the roof above the third story, I glued the corners first and field where needed.

As with the eaves, the Inn's roof cornice and ironwork is four parts, each formed to a profile and attached to each other to form a perimeter and, as with the eaves, the central, protuding part required some very delicate folding.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7353.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7361.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7368.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7372.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7377.jpg  

Last edited by FRD; 04-07-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 AM

There are no less than ten vaulted dormers on the third story of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I started by applying the central dormer, tweezers were an asset, following that by pre-forming and securing the remaining dormers at their peaks only.

Going around clock-wise, by the time I got back to the first dormer, the glue had set and I then glued down the dormer sides.

Care must be taken when attaching the various dormer windows as the window shading corrosponds to the shading of the first and second story windows.

With the four chimneys pre-assembled, I attached them first at the roof cornice, once the glue had set, I nailed down the bottoms.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7379.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7384.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7387.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7391.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-img_7393.jpg  

Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 AM

There are eight wrought iron balconies of two different sizes, logic dictates that the shorter balconies go below the single widows of the first and second story, the longer of them going below the the double windows.

Assembly of the balconies is pretty straight foreward, the railing is doubled and glued, laid flat the excess is removed and the side and front railings are joined.

I finished the roof by adding the cupola and its roof, the roof fits a profile and even though it's not depicted in the illustrations, it's not too hard to figure out.

I finshed the model by attaching the front porch, steps and it's roof, the flags were folded to put, "waves" in them, the roof it's self also fits an un-depicted profile but again, was not too hard to figure out.

That conludes the build, it was a delight assembling the Inn, I've assembled about a half dozen of them and am amused each and every time.

One of the first small ones sent to the Inn, was conveniently converted to a novel, christmas tree ornament being about two inches square.

This Inn should be available through ecardmodels.com very soon, when it does become available, I'll post it here.

Thanks for your patience guys! (I'm sure that was a struggle)
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-01.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-02.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-03.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-04.jpg   Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale-05.jpg  

Google Adsense