PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge

This is my third attempt at a build thread, the fourth installment of a series of six to be converted from a much smaller scale.

I recently assembled the 1:160 scale conversion of the Elizabeth Pointe Lodge located on Amelia Island Florida, constructed in an 1890's, "Nantucket shingle-style" the Inn has a stong maritime theme and is on beach front property on the Atlantic coast.

The tag line goes like this:

The Elizabeth Pointe Lodge, an Amelia Island Boutique Hotel and resort offers a luxurious beach vacation.

The Main House, an 1890’s Nantucket shingles style of 20 guestrooms graciously provides an adjacent Ocean house of larger suites as well as the Miller Cottage, perfect for the larger family.

Providing the amenities that only a Select Registry Inn can and as reviewed by: U.S.A. Today, Southern Living, Money Magazine, Travel and Leisure Magazine, Boston Globe, Brides and Ladies Home Journal.

You are welcomed to visit the website for more on the Island, Area and Inn.

With 13 miles of Atlantic coastline, Amelia Island is rich in history.
As the, "Isle of Eight Flags" the flags of the Spanish, French, Patriot, British, Mexican, Green Cross, Confederate and United States have been flown here.

Fort Clinch State Park, garrisoned during the Spanish-American and Civil Wars, it offers many opportunities.
Six miles of hiking trails, swimming, sunbathing, pier and surf-fishing as well as period re-inaction.

If you are up to a challenge then this is the Inn for you!, having no glue tabs it was edge on edge glueing, I found myself holding my breath several times throughout the assembly, if you have the patience and skill to bring it to completion, you may find it quite rewarding.

This Inn is a, "Grey Lady" as a good part of the coloration is in grey scales but when assembled, reflect a certain elegance.

Far better at drawing these than I am at actually assembling them, having all thumbs, it is sure that many of the members of this forum have expert skills and could do a much better build.

An auto correct application was used for the photographs so parts may appear darker than they really are and having more photographs than I know what to do with, this promises to be a lenghty thread.

Any images showing a hobby knife are not to be construed as a glueing technique but rather, merely a pointing device.
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM

I'll start this thread by posting some random part samples.
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-part-01.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-part-02.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-part-03.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-part-04.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-part-05.jpg  

Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM

It starts out pretty simple, I removed the openings above the railing before removing the front of the In.

Once inverted I glued the backs of the railings down followed by folding the building's contours and securing the part to the base from behind.

The short, foundation wall was then formed and added to the base.
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-01.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-02.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-03.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-04.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-05.jpg  

Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Another great model. I look forward to seeing your build photos in this thread.

David T. Okamura
Old 05-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
These are wonderful models, especially at this scale.
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Thanks Vermin, this particular Inn has a pretty elaborate roof, to assemble it is an accomplishment...

This is an image of it in it's original small scale, approximately 1:250
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-epl01.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looks great! Thanks for sharing
Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM

My pleasure Chris... glad to share it..
Old 05-16-2014, 03:33 PM

The Right side of the Inn was pre-assembled and attached to both the front and the base from behind, care was taken to assure that the eaves or, "over-hang" at the top of the corner was aligned and glued.

Six components make up the foundation's parking structure, the entrance of which was then pre-formed and attached to the rear or entrance of the Inn.
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-01.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-02.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-03.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-04.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge-05.jpg  

Old 05-17-2014, 01:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Fred,
Looks like another great build. I'm going to try out your gluing method looks like a good technique for small models.
Jim