PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Lincoln Cathedral

It has been almost 6 months since I posted a new thread. In January I began a model of the Escorial in Madrid. The middle of February, we received an invitation from the Dean of Lincoln Cathedral to attend a Lincoln Foundation luncheon in DC in April. I thought it would be fun to make my Rupert Cordeaux's model of Lincoln Cathedral, and take photos of the model to show. I stopped work on the Escorial and began Lincoln Cathedral, but I did not finish in time. In fact, I just finished it yesterday.

This is a very large model – measuring 20 x 29". It was printed on tan paper, and I used brown and tan colored pencils to highlight around the windows and doors. As are all of Rupert's models, it is very detailed and quite beautiful.

I had a slight problem with three parts (see photo). These parts are not shown on any of the detailed drawings nor their numbers match other parts. They must belong but I sure don't know where. If anyone has built this model, please let me know where they go – that includes you, Rupert :-).

Now I returning to the Escorial model, and its 433 tiny dormers. I do have a threat already on Escorial - have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05623.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05625.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05627.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05628.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05629.jpg  

Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05630.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05632.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05634.jpg   Lincoln Cathedral-dsc05636.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Another good model for your ever-growing collection.

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-02-2014, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Congratulations, Thomas. Another great looking cathedral.

Fred
Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 AM

Tom:
The buttress I don't know, probably a diagonal opne which connects the crossing of the transept and aisles with the tower?

The other parts 238 and 218 belong on top of the facade of the lady's chapel next to the outer corner towers where you have the small detauls with 4 arches each. Your photograph No. 6 shows the place where they go..
263 and 147 belong to the back of the front facade as they connect the Western towers with the outer towers. You will see the remainign white spot in your 5th photograph.

You should still be able to place these part.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdaviesclay View Post
I do have a threat already on Escorial - have a look.
As much trouble as those dormers have been, I'm not surprised you've resorted to threats! Calm down, put away the knife and scissors, and have some of your favorite soothing beverage before you resume. (I know you meant "thread," but I couldn't resist. )
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
This is another wonderful creation by you and I envy your ability to visit all of your builds or is it build all of your visits. Either way wonderful job.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Eternal Member

Thomas- thank you for your information. You were correct. Both spots are where those pieces go. There is nothing on the diagram instructions or no numbers on the adjacent parts to show where they go. I looked at my photos from our visit. Upon enlarging them I saw both of these parts. I guess I should have looked a my photos first. I still have that one buttress. I'll keep looking at my photos.

Ann- you are so observant and clever I did make 8 little dormers yesterday, and they weren't so bad after several months, vacation--but I still have 100's to go. I will try to send more "threads" than "threats".

JMR248 - I love your comment -"visit all your builds or is it build all of your visits". It is both - depending on my time and the models I have available. A lot of folks have looked at my plea for model kits for our next quest to Sicily and Southern Italy, but so far I have had no suggestions. So, I guess this next journey will be "modelless"- but we will have a good time as usual.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
It has been almost 6 months since I posted a new thread. In January I began a model of the Escorial in Madrid. The middle of February, we received an invitation from the Dean of Lincoln Cathedral to attend a Lincoln Foundation luncheon in DC in April. I thought it would be fun to make my Rupert Cordeaux's model of Lincoln Cathedral, and take photos of the model to show. I stopped work on the Escorial and began Lincoln Cathedral, but I did not finish in time. In fact, I just finished it yesterday.

This is a very large model – measuring 20 x 29". It was printed on tan paper, and I used brown and tan colored pencils to highlight around the windows and doors. As are all of Rupert's models, it is very detailed and quite beautiful.

I had a slight problem with three parts (see photo). These parts are not shown on any of the detailed drawings nor their numbers match other parts. They must belong but I sure don't know where. If anyone has built this model, please let me know where they go – that includes you, Rupert :-).

Now I returning to the Escorial model, and its 433 tiny dormers. I do have a threat already on Escorial - have a look.
Right. The two bits on M are the backs of the west front, One on either side of the towers. The two small gables on the middle bit of card go at the back of the screen joining the chapterhouse. As for the flying buttress, I don't have a clue!

I am still waiting for the scans of this model and when I get them, I shall use the sheets as templates to redraw the parts in better detail and using much less card. The proportions of this model are fine though.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Damn. I think T Eichmann's right. He is cleverer than I. shows how long it is since I made this one. Even my dad saw the start of this and its twenty four years since he died.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you Rupert for your two responses. I am sure it is hard to remember where every part goes on your beautiful models especially since your Lincoln Cathedral model is over 24 years old. I love all of the detail in this model. It has been fun to compare my photos of the cathedral with the model. I don't think you missed any details. I still have many of your wonderful models to make.
Google Adsense