PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Outstanding work and a beautiful model, Sir.

Thank you for posting your photos. I enjoy your models very much.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dear Rupert,
Is it still possible to purchase the Lincoln Cathedral kit? I was a chorister at Lincoln and would love to be able to build a model of it! I was always begging my parents for one. I might be biased, but I think it’s the finest English Cathedral.
Best wishes,
Ed
Old 04-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Eternal Member

Edward, I hope you can find the Lincoln Cathedral model as it is one of the most beautiful models that I have;however, it is an older kit and may be hard to find. Rupert Cordeaux is a member of this forum, so I suggest that you write him directly. He is in the process of revising his older kits. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Many years ago I attended a performance of the Lincoln miracle plays (medieval enactments some of the most important stories of the Bible - but I don't need to tell you that) in the Cathedral. One never forgets the atmosphere and some of the scenes.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Lincoln

My parents sent me one to Lincoln when I was 13, one full month to improve my English, and the next year to York, I enjoyed both cities very much, ranging across as much as I could. I remember these cathedrals very well, now I can only wander in Rouen, Normandy, where I pay a visit to a friend from time to time, to feel quite the same when looking at the cathedral. We call it the Anglo-normand style.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.88 MB
What about the imp?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Eternal Member

I thank you, Edward, for bringing my model of Lincoln Cathedral out of the "archives". I made it five years ago and no one has made a comment except you since that time. As I wrote earlier, it is one of my favorite models as well as the largest cathedral model that I have made. The base measures 20" X 29".

We had a magnificent all day visit to Lincoln Cathedral in September 2013. I always try to have the model made before visiting a cathedral. It was great fun finding all of the interesting parts of the real Cathedral that were part of the model. We had a personal meeting with the Dean in his home and then a private several hour tour by an outstanding docent. Read about this wonderful day on my webpage CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe

In November of 2017, I was asked by a member of the Church of the Epiphany choir in Washington DC to bring my model to a Black Tie Gala at the elite University Club in DC. The church of the Epiphany has an outstanding choir which had been invited to Lincoln Cathedral for a series of concerts. This Gala event was a dinner and auction to raise funds to pay for this trip, which included singing at several other English cathedrals.

My model was placed at the entrance of the beautiful ballroom and received a lot of attention by several hundred people who attended this event. Most people had never seen a paper model up close and found it hard to believe that it was made out of paper. It was a fun evening. I was kind of like a guest of honor because of the model. Some of the elite from DC were present.
The auction was a great financial success. It was a silent auction with 92, beautiful and interesting items.

I am grateful that several people have responded to this revised thread. I am also extremely grateful to Rupert Cordeaux for his beautiful work in creating this model. I have not heard from Edward again. I do hope he has found this gem of a model.

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 04-29-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.88 MB
I well remember visiting the cathedral in the late 40's.
I was given the honour of locking the safe that housed the Magna Carta after a group viewing.

Here is the story of the imp.

BBC - Lincolnshire - Unexplained - The Lincoln Imp
Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Hello. It looks as though I shall be making a new Lincoln Cathedral model sooner than I had imagined. Lichfield Cathedral had been my first choice but the perfectly coloured card I had found for it ( and Hereford, Chester, Coventry, Carlisle and Worcester ) has more than doubled in price. At least the caramel card I use is a fairly good match for Lincoln. However, on reflection, I shall have to sit down and do the maths in order to see whether I'd be better off making all of my next models in colour. It would certainly be a step change in their evolution. I remember seeing Lincoln Cathedral for the first time on the TV in the early 70s when I was little. It was Christmas Eve and the service of Nine Lessons and Carols was sung by none other than King's College Choir under the directorship of David Wilcox. It was Lincoln Cathedral which bowled me over. Even in black and white, I was smitten for life. So...watch this space. I shall try, and fail, for perfection. By the way Thomas, did you manage to climb all the way up Steep Hill while sustaining a conversation?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member

Hello Rupert. I must admit that we took a taxi up to Lincoln Cathedral. We had walked up to Durham Cathedral the day before - enough walking for several days. We were given a ride back down to our hotel by a cathedral staff priest. Again, may I say I love your models of all the English Cathedrals and will make York next sometime in the near future.
Google Adsense