PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)

This is my fourth attempt at a build thread, the fifth installment of a series of six to be converted from a much smaller scale.

I recently assembled the 1:160 scale conversion of the Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis House).

Built by Oliver Sturgis, there were two, "twin Houses" at the location of John Wesley's American Parish In Savannah Georgia, after one of the two was destroyed by fire the, "John Wesley Hotel" was built in it's place, the original hotel was revitalized in the 1970's and became the Planter's Inn.

The tag line goes like this:

The Planters Inn Savannah and the Oliver Sturges House are at the site of John Wesley’s American Parish in the Historic Landmark District, a 200-year-old, original boutique hotel with many features and amenities, perfect for vacation, weekends, or business.

60 rooms of amenities and services for both leisure and business, a romantic getaway on Reynolds Square, an easy stroll to River Street.
Upscale, comfortable access to Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, museums, shopping , nightlife and dining.

The House of Oliver Sturges occupies the site of John Wesley’s American Parish, the founder of Methodism in America, it is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The River front thrives with shops and entertainment, as witnessed by the Historic Cotton Exchange since 1887, over two million bales were shipped through Savannah.

having only about 70 parts I was VERY reluctant to convert this one as it was way beyond my comfort zone, being much larger than what I'm used to measuring aproximately 15" (38cm) long, 8" (20.3cm) high and 5" (12.7cm) wide at the widest point, four times the size of my average and I've never converted anything so big as to require an internal support structure(s).

Unlike the smaller models with, "edge on edge glueing", this one actually has a number of glue tabs.

If you have the patience and skill set to bring it to completion, you may find it quite rewarding.

I am far better at drawing these than I am at actually assembling them, having all thumbs, no attempt has been made to correct or alter it, "straight outta th' box" what you see is what you get.

I'm sure many of the members of this forum have expert skills and could do a much better build.

An auto correct application was used for the photographs so parts may appear lighter than they really are.

Any mismatched coloration is due to my printer fading on one side.

Last edited by FRD; 07-28-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM

I'll start this thread with the footprint of the Inn and a few random part samples.
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-01.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-02.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-03.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-04.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-05.jpg  

Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's an impressive building. I look forward to seeng it take shape.

Don
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Thanks Don,
This model is so large that the base plate was comprised of two parts, spliced first beneath the courtyard I then assembled the three, internal partitions, a more resourceful guy would have used heavier stock to back these parts.
The base was further spliced beneath the central partition, once set the ends and sides of the Inn were attached.
You may note it's not exactly straight, a smarter guy would have set the front and back partitions and used a straight edge to align the central partition. (I'm not that smart)
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-01.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-02.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-03.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-04.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-05.jpg  

Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
What weight did you use to back the parts? Just curious.
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Elliot, it was printed on 65 LB. Stock with no backing.. like I mentioned, a more resourceful guy would have used some backing material..
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM

The two parts that make the eaves or, over-hang were then spliced and slipped over the Inn to be glued in place.

The entrance was then pre-assembled and attached to the front of the Inn before the back of the Sturgis House was secured to the back of the Inn.

I then pre-assembled the Sturgis House proper.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM

The Oliver Sturgis House was then attached to the back of the House and the base.

With the rear bay in place, the main roof and back roof were added topped by the rear chimney.

With the rear steps and awnings in place, the courtyard walls and gates were added.

The front was finished by attaching the House's entrance, steps and fencing, the Inn's front awning and the fifth floor balcony were added before securing the top floor and it's roof to the Inn proper.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM

The Inn's back roof and mechanicals room were pre-assembled as well as the roof's egress, vents and chimneys being but then on the two previous parts.

The A.C. unit and it's frame were assembled and added to the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM

That pretty much concludes this Inn, other than being large, it's a pretty simple build.

That now makes five of the six converted, the other threads can be seen here:

2 Meeting Street

Historic Hamilton-Turner Inn in N scale

1:160 (N scale) Rhett House Inn

1:160 (N scale) Elizabeth Pointe Lodge

The series of six can be seen here:

Home

This should be available from Ecardmodels soon, I'll post it here when it becomes available.
Attached Thumbnails
1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-img_8004.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-img_8006.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-img_8009.jpg   1:160 (N scale) Planter's Inn Savannah (and Oliver Sturgis house)-img_8014.jpg