PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Peterborough Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Cordeux View Post
Here are some more photographs showing the progress on my new Peterborough Cathedral so far. This picture of Southwell Minster will replace the rather uninspiring one currently used for the title page.
Peterborough is progressing. I tried to make another version of this model in the 1990s but came unstuck when I got to the complex and strange west front. In the end I just gave up. Thanks now to better aerial photos and a brilliant youtube drone survey of that part of the building, I have cracked the structure. Unusually for me, I have made a blank mock-up of the nave and west front inorder to ensure that the parts actually fit well before drawing them in detail. Here it is. Notice also that one of the transepts is made up.
I couldn't resist putting in this watercolour I did as a demo for the Leicestershire-based, Charnwood Art Club. Sadly the night before last. I had to use a photo from the internet as we have no interesting boats in landlocked Coventry. I couldn't get permission for using the picture as I don't know who took it but I will remove it of course if the owner requests that I do so.
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_2947.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_2946.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_2943.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_2948.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
Love the watercolor!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM

I am now making good progress with the new model of Peterborough Cathedral. As the Norman structure is essentially quite flat, I shall only add the really prominent buttresses, hoping that the many-pinnacled and much-recessed west front will add most of the visual impact. I keep saying to myself that this will be my last new design for a bit, but even as I write, I find myself collecting data for a model of Exeter Cathedral. It looks beguilingly repetitive and has a unique shape when compared to the other model cathedrals I have made to date. I now have a reissued York Minster and Worcester Cathedral on the go. They both require buttresses and new look title pages and then they will be ready to put out there with the "Peterborough"
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3321.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3314.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3312.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3309.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3139.jpg  

Old 03-22-2015, 03:48 PM

That west front is simply beautiful.... repeating myself, your work is utterly exquisite. I'm afraid to admit, but I'm completely in love with your renderings; like a Ruskin watercolour sketch in three dimensions :-D Fabulous!

Plumdragon
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 AM

Peterborough Cathedral.

The design of this model is nearly finished now. As the Norman structure of this cathedral is quite flat, I am only going to add the most prominent buttresses and shall put all of the impact of this model into the much-recessed and pinnacled West Facade. Incidentally, the reissues of Worcester Cathedral and York Minster are nearly done as well.
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3321.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3314.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3312.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3304.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3139.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-23-2015, 02:43 AM

Peterborough Cathedral Update

I have nearly finished the new model of Peterborough Cathedral and as you can see, also the reissues of York Minster and Worcester Cathedral.
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3321.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3314.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3312.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3139.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3147.jpg  

Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumdragon View Post
That west front is simply beautiful.... repeating myself, your work is utterly exquisite. I'm afraid to admit, but I'm completely in love with your renderings; like a Ruskin watercolour sketch in three dimensions :-D Fabulous!

Plumdragon
Thanks for mentioning Ruskin's and my work in the same sentence. I hugely admire his watercolours and drawings: he practised what he preached which is more than can be said for a lot of art critics today. Sorry to have posted the same thing so many times. I forgot to go to page two and assumed that my offerings here weren't uploading properly. Here's some more photographs of Peterborough as it is so far.
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3110.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3127.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3142.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3296.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3305.jpg  

Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM

Nearly there

I have now added most of the East End buttresses: just the west end to go.
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3505.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Just a few very small parts to go.

The model of Peterborough Cathedral is now virtually complete. I only have to add some roof hatches. After that, it's just the assembly instructions to write and the title page to design. I shall be painting and drawing again until Winter and then I shall start Exeter Cathedral.
Attached Thumbnails
New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3666.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3663.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3631.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3642.jpg   New Model of Peterborough Cathedral-100_3653.jpg  

Old 05-04-2015, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.48 MB
Your models are gorgeous.
Google Adsense