PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Location: currently Tennessee, hail from Western KY / Southern IL
Total Downloaded: 0
Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models

I posted my original furnished dollhouse paper models. I would like for anyone to go take a look and give any suggestions as to how to make it better:

kineticpaper(dot)weebly(dot)com/dollhouses(dot)html

Attached are some sample images.

Thank you for any advice you can give, and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

Kinetic Paper Art
Attached Thumbnails
Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-1555463_683545108430086_8299501047237406867_n.jpg   Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-10171895_683545588430038_2927773370297198704_n.jpg   Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-10427258_683536541764276_3548859561983016130_n.jpg   Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-10269395_683537141764216_2680608728425716602_n.jpg   Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-1654148_683537758430821_4200278381564189079_n.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
No advice, just that those are really nice models.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
My one suggestion is to charge more for the kits. As for improvements I cannot see anything that I would improve.

Very nice models are you going to do any more light houses?

Jim Nunn
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Yes I love doing lighthouses, they are such a challenge and will be doing more. It will be a while though.

Right now I am working on one I will call the Rapunzel. It is a medieval looking castle tower based loosely on the two attached photos. It is another that will require a cardboard core and is hex rather than round. I've got the mechanics of how it will open and close worked out (wanted to know it looks right closed as well as open) and am starting to work on the graphics now. This will take me a long time whereas I plan to have lots of fine details (like miniature books in the library that lines the walls of the winding staircase in the base, kitchen utensils and pans, etc) that are all of paper.

Regarding the website prices, I'm flattered... but I only charge what is charged to cover the hosting and "automated downloads ability" that Ecwid provides. I looked into setting the whole site up using free hosting providers, but the download files are way too large to be allowed. For example, the Riverview alone is almost 3/4 gig across 7 zip files or so.

Thank you for the kind words
Attached Thumbnails
Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-5267289808_d4ee22ff93_z.jpg   Furnished Dollhouse Paper Models-img_0086.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice models. I snagged Riverview Mansion, Secret Garden, Point Cabrillo Lighthouse, Octagon Beach, and the Gazebos set of 5.

The only minor annoyance is that the file sizes for some of the parts are quite large. For example, the Riverview Mansion model in its unzipped form is 808MB, most of that size is because of the floor files being so big. The dirt under the porch file alone is 8.46MB which is kind of big for a single tiled image of dirt.

All in all, though, the models are quite nice looking. None of the annoyances can't be overcome with a bit of manipulation. Looking forward to some more intricate models from you.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The only real problem I encountered was that my wife saw the products page....I spent the entire morning buying out (and downloading) the store. I'm really looking forward to completion of the Rapunzel. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to create a line of gaming props....a medieval inn, a dungeon keep, etc. Let the imagination roll.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
The models and concept are great but you are missing an extremely important piece of information if you plan on selling them to the dollhouse market and you indeed should be specifically targeting that market. You have to put on the kits what scale the original is.

They are used to working in very specific scale sizes. 1:144, 1:48, 1:24 and 1:12. The objects they like to collect are in those scales so the first question you will get asked is "what scale is it"? Unless you put that information on the website and on the kits you will get driven round the bend answering emails about it. The people who might want it for model railroads are going to ask the same question. You need to know that 1:48 is going to be the biggest seller in the dollhouse business followed by 1:144. So when you design dollhouses you might want to keep that in mind. They need to know what weight of cardstock to print on for a self supporting structure at 1:48.

If it is possible to do so somewhere on the instruction sheet give them a scale conversion chart for the percentage of increase or reduction needed to achieve those specific sizes. Otherwise you will get driven round the bend answering emails. You don't want to have to take time out of your day for all that needless communication.

Next there are a couple of forums you will want to join so you can get customers from the dollhouse enthusiast. They will be buying thousands of dollars worth of the kits from you right away and that will immediately jump start your internet store ratings. But please private message me for that information as I don't want to divert the thread with more how-to marketing advice that is not actually about the model itself.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I know it's only a Bata test model. but the Rapunzel should get an award for the best use of a Pringles can.

Jim Nunn
Old 02-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Thank you so much Kcorbin for the advice. On these models, I hadn't really thought about scales before. They are just made initially for having the pieces fit (each image file) onto a single 8.5x11 piece of paper. So each one is no doubt a different precise scale. I will have to measure and come up with what exact scale each is.

But on a side note, that is why the model parts are all image files and not in a pdf format. This way, people can print at different scales such as 25 or 50 % of a page. However, this of course is still not "true scale" and is relative to the original planned sizing of an 8.5x11 page being "100%".

Thank you so much and I will definitely PM you for any additional information and help you can provide.

To Jim Nunn: Haha, and thank you although I cannot take any credit for the pringles can idea. I found it on a crafters website. The Rapunzel I am making is much larger than a pringles can and is only loosely based on that design, as well as the picture of the castle tower shown. It basically has the look of the pringles can design, but with the base stairway being of smaller diameter (compared to the top) as in the castle picture. Haha I had to do that or else the winding staircase I have in the base would have been really huge looking by comparison (even including having recessed bookshelves in the winding staircase walls). If I had the top to fit the size of the staircase bottom portion, there wouldn't have been enough room for furniture in the top in such a way that it could be played with like a dollhouse. Originally I did want to make the model just like the pringles can design, but in working on the raw cardboard prototype, I found out it just wasn't feasible.... just like I found out the top being larger diameter initially made it top heavy, thus bringing about the idea of a full library for the staircase walls to add weight in the bottom. Even as I type this post, I laugh at how this whole project has gotten more complex as I have gone along, but will hopefully be a masterpiece once done. It's been a much bigger challenge than my mind thought it would be when I came up with the idea
Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
These are really nice. Have you ever thought about doing TV or movie houses? I've see floor plans for a lot of them. Like the Andy Griffith Show, Andy Taylor's house, or the Mayberry Jail, the Halliwell Manor from Charmed, the Munsters house, and the Addams Family house. You would appeal to doll house collectors, TV fans, scaled at 1/12th would also work for 6 inch action figures. They just released the 1966 Batman action figures and you could also do Bruce Wayne's Wayne Manor or Commissioner Gordon's office. I love the lighthouse and need to get that one to build.
Clif
Google Adsense

Tags
doll, dollhouse, house, model, paper